Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 don't boot from dvd and usb stick to install it in hard drive  (Read 1808 times)

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Hello to everyone.I have an issue with a new installation in my pc.I decide to install the peppermint linux in my pc to give it a try but the dvd and the usb stick won't boot at all.I downloaded the torrent iso file  from the official peppermint site and i burn it in to a dvd as well.I change the boot options from the bios to boot from dvd and i restart my pc but the peppermint dvd don't boot.I tried sometimes but nothing happened.So i decide to make a bootable usb stick and i used rufus LiLo and unebootin but nothing happened,the usb stick don't boot either.What is going wrong with that?is there any problem with the iso file?i make so many installations with theses ways and i had no problem but with peppermint i faced this issue.How can i solve this problem?and one more question:is there any way to install the peppermint directly from the iso file to another hard disk in my pc without dvd or usb stick?i'm waiting for your respond.Thank you.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
What's the brand and model of your machine?
Did you do this from Windows or another Linux distro?
Did you check the md5sum or sha256sum of the download?
32 or 64bits? Did you get the correct ISO for your system?
What other distros worked?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
1.Intel core 2 duo,Gigabit Motherboard,2GB RAM,Graphic card on board,2 HDD Seagate 500 GB and 1 WD 80 GB
2.I did that from Windows 7 and from Parrot Linux also
3.What are these md5sum and sha256sum files and how can i check them?i have not idea
4.My system is 32bit and i'm sure that i download the correct ISO
5.Parrot,Knoppix,Ubuntu,Kali

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi kostas, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's very nice to meet you  :).  Could you please let us have some more detailed information about your machine?   Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter, (Copy & Paste)  the following command into the terminal window and hit enter:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
Post the output back to the forum  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
If one can't boot Peppermint, how can one run inxi -Fz? (yes, I realize it may be possible in the other Linux system, but not all of them have inxi installed)

I'd definitely check the MD5 and/or SHA256 sums, as pin suggested. It sounds like a bad .iso file. In Windows, you'll need software to check them, but your other Linux system may have it already. In either, right-click on the file and see if it comes up as an option on the menu. If not, let us know and we can advise you further. The sums themselves can be found on the main Peppermint page, with the download links.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
If one can't boot Peppermint, how can one run inxi -Fz? (yes, I realize it may be possible in the other Linux system, but not all of them have inxi installed)

I'd definitely check the MD5 and/or SHA256 sums, as pin suggested. It sounds like a bad .iso file. In Windows, you'll need software to check them, but your other Linux system may have it already. In either, right-click on the file and see if it comes up as an option on the menu. If not, let us know and we can advise you further. The sums themselves can be found on the main Peppermint page, with the download links.
You're right Chris, it would be somewhat difficult  ;).  Hi kostas, forget my request for the moment.  As pin and scifidude78 have already mentioned, your problem does sound like a corrupted ISO.  I see you've been trying with a DVD.  When you burn to a DVD, make sure you don't go faster than x4 speed.  Lower burn speeds nearly always work better, than fast ones for creating LiveDVDs  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi kostas,
On Parrot/Ubuntu/Kali
Open the terminal, cd into the directory where you have the Peppermint .iso and issue
md5sum Peppermint-9-20180621-i386.iso
Compare the output result with the one found on the web site, they should match.
Otherwise the .iso file is corrupted.

I find it rather suspicious that you can boot Ubuntu and not Peppermint.

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Ηello again.Well i check the md5sum file through my terminal and it's correct.It is exactly the same with one that the official peppermint site provides.Did you try any of you to make a bootable dvd or usb stick with the peppermint 9 iso from the official website?is it easy for you to try it and see if is is bootable?i really i don't know what else to do and think.I feel dissaponted...

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Yes, I've installed it from a live-usb two weeks ago.
Are you on Parrot right now?

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yes i'm in parrot right now

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
You're not trying to boot the 32bit image in UEFI mode are you?

If not, insert the usb and check the device name. Once you are sure of it cd into the directory containing the Peppermint .iso and issue the following command

sudo dd if=Peppermint-9-20180621-i386.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2M

Make sure you replace sdb with the correct  device name for your usb.
Wait until for it to finish, it may take a few minutes. And try booting from it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:24:31 pm by pin »

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
It's an old motherboard and has not UEFI mode

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Is there any other option to install peppermint from the iso directly to the hard drive without use dvd or usb stick?

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
You were too fast. Check my previous post.

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I will do it right now!Be standy