Choose style:

Author Topic: 5 Reasons You Should Switch From Windows To Linux Right Now  (Read 3223 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
5 Reasons You Should Switch From Windows To Linux Right Now

By Jason Evangelho for For Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/07/23/5-reasons-you-should-switch-from-windows-to-linux-right-now/#428aa4c1777b

Let's hear it for Jason Evangelho.  He's on a good path here! ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:15:52 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: 5 Reasons You Should Switch From Windows To Linux Right Now
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
Those are some good reasons. Though, I still don't understand this "one or the other" thinking. One of Linux's greatest strengths is how it can easily be installed alongside and play well with Windows. You may need or want Windows installed for one reason or another, so you can always dual boot.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
 From what I can gather,  Jason Evangelho, like others I've either read or spoken with, got tired of his experiences with Windows 10.  In his case he found Linux/Ubuntu to be a refreshing change from Windows. I believe he was also building upon a point he made in a previous article that Linux has come a long way in the last several years.

I posted the article because he gave some solid reasons why some computer users might want to consider switching from Windows to GNU/Linux if they would like.  Of course you're right, scifidude79, that there are other reasons to use Windows at times.  Gaming support is one reason that immediately comes to mind when I think of reasons to run Windows.  I'm certain there are other reasons too -- even if I'm drawing a blank as to what they might be at the moment. :-\

Ah, Netflix is another reason a computer user might want to keep Windows around! ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:14:00 pm »
Bwahahahahaha!
Have you ever sat and contemplated how much time Windows steals from you with its updates?

My winders machine, at work, decided to update itself half way through my shift - incremental updates to 1803 (I think) - plus an update to '10' Enterprise after that. Basically, tied up for the rest of the day.

So, when I got home, I decided to get it over with (updates are forced now) - 4 machines with 5 installs - 4 Stable & 1 Skip Ahead. The lappy went pretty fast. Now the missus' machine is plodding along.

After that, I'll do this machine. Then, my scanner/backup workstation.

Soooo... let's say... 10 hours, give or take. If one "sat and contemplated how much time Windows steals from you with its updates", it would drive them crazy.

Luckily I have lots of Peppermint machines to preserve my sanity while I'm patching '10'  ::)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:17:12 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:20:43 pm »
It's funny, I don't remember being so anoyed with Windows updates when I was a Windows user .. now they drive me nutz.

Bit like your first SSD .. it's hard to go back once your eyes have been opened :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 07:48:30 pm »
[...] it's hard to go back once your eyes have been opened :)

I would NEVER go back, although I must say, '10' is much more palatable to me than winders 7 - gawd I hated that release.

Running them in parallel (multi-boot) is no problem... if you don't think about how much time you spend updating  winders.

Updating 'Skip Ahead' is particularity vexing, because every driver in your machine needs to be the latest ver, or the update will stop on the last reboot, giving you an nondescript error code. Took me months to figure this out - update all your drivers first, THEN update 'Skip Ahead'. The stable version seems to be much more forgiving in this regard.

Anyway, Peppermint rules and winders drools. What can I tell you?  ::)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:50:18 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:17 pm »
BTW, speaking of 'Skip Ahead'...

If you want to apply for a seat, MS just temporarily opened it up: https://goo.gl/8gdJQN

Hop on it, if you like breakage  8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:24:30 pm »
It's funny, I don't remember being so anoyed with Windows updates when I was a Windows user .. now they drive me nutz.

Bit like your first SSD .. it's hard to go back once your eyes have been opened :)

Oh, I was annoyed with them even back before I tried Linux. My Vista computer (the one that got me to start using Linux) took forever to update. It irked me to no end having to wait for it. In fact, when I first tried Ubuntu, I was expecting the same and was flooded by the speed. Windows 7 was no better than Vista with updating. Both took ages to even find a list of available updates, then they had to be downloaded, which took needlessly long. I swear, Microsoft must have the slowest update servers. Then there was the incredibly long process of installing the updates, at the end of which was the inevitable reboot. But, that wasn't the end, as it continued during the reboot. Ugh. Between doing a fresh Win 7 install and updates, you could count on a few hours going by, even with fast Internet. Meanwhile, you could have done several full installs and updates on Linux machines in that time.  At least Windows 10 updates in the background; you only find out about it when you go to shutdown or reboot.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:27:05 pm »
I always used to dread Patch Tuesdays during my Windows Vista days.  Updating seemingly took forever, and sometimes patches wouldn't take at all back then.  Then there were those dreadful antivirus programs you needed to use in Windows.  And how about those proprietary codes you had to enter upon installation?  And, if they didn't take, you had to make those long and humiliating calls to India that first required you to plead and argue your case that you had purchased your Windows program.  Then, after that, you would be required to enter a long series of numeric codes in a dozen or so boxes -- all so you could hear a little bell go off time and time again after entering the codes correctly.  Good grief! ::)

No, I don't miss any of that aggravation.

Anyway, Peppermint rules and winders drools. What can I tell you?  ::) -- VinDSL

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »
XBOX consoles take forever to update too. Seriously, there's something wrong with Microsoft updates.

I personally only run Windows when I need to run a program I can't in Linux. Otherwise, I just run Peppermint. But, I like having the option to play a Windows game or run the other Windows programs I like, so I put up with the Windows BS when necessary. I actually find Win10 to not be as bad as I've heard, though I've also deactivated most of the annoying features.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »
Thanks, perknh. You may have saved my bacon  :D

I just read several articles concerning MS reopening 'Skip Ahead' temporarily, and couldn't figure out if I needed to reapply or not.

So, I dug the "Road Warrior' back out of my bag and checked. Sure enough, it was prompting me to choose the preview level I wanted.

Looks like I still have a seat. Here's a snappy of my custom Redstone 5 install, skinned with a Peppermint 7 theme, of course... LoL

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 09:16:24 pm »
https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-redstone-5-rumors-release-date

Well you've made your custom version look nice, VinDSL, and the more Windows becomes like Peppermint, the more I will like it. ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 09:52:46 pm »
Well you've made your custom version look nice, VinDSL, and the more Windows becomes like Peppermint, the more I will like it. ;)

It's a mind game, perk.

I use the Opera browser in winders and Peppermint. Dittos for the Thunderbird mail client.

I spend most of my time playing around on web sites, listening to music and reading/writing emails.

Truthfully, with the Peppermint theming, after a few minutes, I forget which operating system I'm using.

I know that's hard to fathom, but believe it or not, that's the way it is.

I suppose, if one was a die-hard winders fanboi, the opposite would be true - make Peppermint look like winders 10.

Matter of fact, somebody told me recently, the reason Peppermint is so popular is because it looks like winders - no kidding. I was slack jawed, until I thought about it.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:50:48 pm »
It's a mind game, perk. -- VinDSL

My mind plays a game with me when I think about security versus privacy in Windows.  Although I know Windows 10 has a better track record with security than previous editions of Windows, I feel it's at the expense of personal privacy.  On the other hand, when I use Windows 8.1, although I know it is probably a more private version of Windows than Windows 10 (after you enable the disablement of One Drive), it ends up being at the expensive of security.  So, in other words, no matter which way I go with Windows, I feel I'm always working within a lose-lose scenario:  I either lose privacy or I lose security -- it's either one or the other  Then, on top of all this, we're supposed to pay for the experience of using Windows.  Ouch!

That's the game my mind plays with me when I use Windows.  I guess what I'm saying is...is that I don't really trust Windows a whole heck of a lot.

P.S.

I will admit Windows 8.1 can look really nice with a little bit of tweaking.  I don't want to say that everything is bad about Windows. ;)

“If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good.” – Bill Gates

The PoorGuy

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:13 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:25:16 pm by The PoorGuy »