Choose style:

Author Topic: 5 Reasons You Should Switch From Windows To Linux Right Now  (Read 3862 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: 5 Reasons You Should Switch From Windows To Linux Right Now
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 12:51:56 am »
I personally only run Windows when I need to run a program I can't in Linux. Otherwise, I just run Peppermint. But, I like having the option to play a Windows game or run the other Windows programs I like, so I put up with the Windows BS when necessary. I actually find Win10 to not be as bad as I've heard, though I've also deactivated most of the annoying features.

I hadn't used anything Microsloth since deleting my WinXP partition on the old Toshiba Qosmio back in 2011... But I am dual booting Win10 on both my desktop and laptop nowadays... only because it's nice to see what my mom sees on her laptop when she calls for help. Otherwise i have no use for it... 

I'm not paying for it.... as happily... MS is so eager to have users that they accepted my old WinXP license from 2006 when I upgraded the desktop, as well as my Mom's Win7 license that originally shipped with this Toshiba in 2011.

Since I'm not a gamer, I have a hard time finding a use for it. Perhaps when I start diving back into photo archiving and management I'll be reinstalling IrfanView, for I've never found a linux program which I find as intuitive.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:55:44 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 12:59:01 am »
It's funny, I don't remember being so anoyed with Windows updates when I was a Windows user .. now they drive me nutz.

Only because... we didn't know things could be any different... trying watching a show you copied onto a VCR tape and you'll wonder how we ever watched TV pre HDTV...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 01:02:34 am »
I still use Windows 7 OS because of reasons unknown to anyone Linux will not allow me to login to my state department retirement website and uncertain what I will use when Windows 7 OS reaches EOL:-\

Neither I nor my hubster ever touched Vista... Hubby is also a State Dept Retiree... happily logging in with Win10... which he loves...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

The PoorGuy

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 01:09:42 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:24:12 pm by The PoorGuy »

The PoorGuy

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 01:27:52 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:24:30 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:42 am »
Modern electronics just don't compare in quality with vintage electronics as modern day electronics is disposable garbage.

This got me thinking... about timepieces. Which do you prefer, mechanical or electronic?

Personally, I've always used 'wind-up' clocks - currently a schoolhouse clock, and two mantel clocks.

But, on my wrist, I prefer "vintage electronics"  - specifically a Casio CA53W-1.

They still make this model - probably gone through 3-4 of them since the last century. Nothing else works for me.  ;)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 08:14:57 am »
... Ah, Netflix is another reason a computer user might want to keep Windows around! ;)

??Why??
Netflix runs just fine on Linux, both with Chrome and/or Firefox, as long as you are running a distro using glibC, which are... hmm, ...most of them!
Netflix won't run with other C libraries, so it doesn't run on my Void Linux laptop, since I'm using musl-libC. It doesn't run on my Alpine Linux VM, again musl-libC and it doesn't run on my NetBSD laptop since BSD's have their own C libraries.

EDIT: Just checked, Netflix supports Opera also!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:28:01 am by pin »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 10:53:27 am »
??Why??
Netflix runs just fine on Linux, both with Chrome and/or Firefox, as long as you are running a distro using glibC, which are... hmm, ...most of them! -- pin

Ah, good.  I see things have changed concerning Linux and Netflix since the last time I looked into them.  Thank you, pin. :)

Netflix debuts on Firefox for Linux, but not everyone's happy about it

By Ian Paul for PCWorld

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3183742/data-center-cloud/netflix-debuts-on-firefox-for-linux-but-not-everyones-happy-about-it.html

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 11:07:29 am »

... Ah, Netflix is another reason a computer user might want to keep Windows around! ;)
Just checked, Netflix supports Opera also!

Gotta love that Opera.

Sent from my Moto E⁴ via Tapatalk

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 11:23:55 am »
Netflix debuts on Firefox for Linux, but not everyone's happy about it

By Ian Paul for PCWorld

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3183742/data-center-cloud/netflix-debuts-on-firefox-for-linux-but-not-everyones-happy-about-it.html

Well DRM is what it is.
I don't like it either, but currently if you want Netflix you have to accept that.

Funny thing...
Netflix servers run FreeBSD and developers claim that Netflix contributes back to FreeBSD. Still, you can't watch Netflix on FreeBSD ???

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 11:39:29 am »

Just checked, Netflix supports Opera also!

Gotta love that Opera.

Sent from my Moto E⁴ via Tapatalk
Every supported browser is good. Although,  killing DRM content would be even better.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 01:48:13 pm »
I know next to nothing about DRM, and I don't even use Netflix.  I just do my best to keep a friend's computers up to snuff.  (She's running classic Peppermint 6 along with classic Windows 7!) I remember the day when Linux (or was it Mint? :-\) would support Netflix but Netflix wouldn't support Linux (Mint?).  I'm glad to hear those days are over. :)

Yeah, Opera is a terrific browser, and I like it a lot -- especially its Norwegian privacy policy.  Also Firefox seems to be running even better than ever in Peppermint 9 and Ubuntu GNOME.  At least that's been my experience.  Firefox is not nearly as choppy as I remember it being before, AND it has a feature most Chromium-based browsers lack (with the notable exception of Yandex) and that is the ability to set a master password in order to protect users' passwords.  Therefore we need to share the love with Firefox too! ;)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:29:00 pm by perknh »

The PoorGuy

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:48 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:24:48 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 04:41:50 pm »
I want one of those massively chunky 70's Omega or Commodore LED (pre LCD) watches with the huge slab of red glass :)
(you know the ones, the first "space age" watches that dropped jaws for 10 minutes in the 70's before LCD killed them off .. Oh, and what ever happened to stereos with "feather touch" switches ?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:45:50 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 04:55:16 pm »
Here you go, PCNetSpec.  And it's less that 5 grand!!

Having been a part of all six lunar missions, the OMEGA Speedmaster is one of OMEGA’s most iconic timepieces. The legendary Speedmaster is an impressive representation of the brand’s adventurous pioneering spirit, which is underscored by the modernised OMEGA Speedmaster Racing.

This model features a red dial covered by a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and graced by a date window, a small seconds sub-dial, 30-minute recorder and 12-hour recorder; each of the black sub-dials has a textured “Clous de Paris” pattern.

The bezel, with its matt black aluminium tachymetric ring, is mounted on a 40 mm stainless steel case and is presented on a stainless steel bracelet. Powering this timepiece is the Co-Axial calibre 3330.

And it even tells the time! :D