Choose style:

Author Topic: upgrades  (Read 498 times)

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
upgrades
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:54:28 pm »
Hi,
My samsung sata hard drive is clanking somewhat lately.  I'd like to change it for a Solid state disc.  I'm wondering what else it would be worth uprgrading but I can't find out some of the components I already have.
I do know I have an Asus M4A87TD mobo and a EVGA Geforce GT 520 graphics card.  There are 4gb of Ram, what make and speed I don't know.  The CPU is an AMD type.  Not a great help am I?
Could someone advise me here please?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:03:21 pm »
Hi flighty  :)

This command will give you some specs of your system:

Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz

Please post the results back here.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:53:41 pm »
Any 2.5" SATA SSD should do the job .. personally I have a penchant for Samsung 850 PRO's for their super long warranty .. but they are more expensive than the EVO and are getting harder to find. So maybe a Samsung 860 EVO.

Ebuyer are currently doing the 860 EVO (250GB) at 65
https://www.ebuyer.com/824748-samsung-860-evo-250gb-ssd-mz-76e250b-eu

Or if you have the money they're currently doing a Sandisk Ultra 3D 1TB drive for 170 (90 off)
https://www.ebuyer.com/797699-sandisk-ultra-3d-ssd-2-5inch-1tb-sdssdh3-1t00-g25

Be warned though .. once you've used an SSD you'll never be satisfied with a spinner again ;)

If you've never used an SSD before, you're in for a treat :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:04:29 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »

Code: [Select]
 Quad core AMD Athlon II X4 640 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
           4: 1800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GF119 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-130-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 200.0GB (5.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SP2004C size: 200.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 75G used: 5.8G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: 41.0C gpu: 56C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2288 psu: 0 sys-1: 0
Info:      Processes: 176 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 521.1/3950.1MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
tony@tony-System-Product-Name ~ $
Right,  the above seems to give the gist of my system.  Would I need to change anything else other than the hard drive?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:47:26 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Encapsulating output with [code] »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:13:31 pm »
Hi flighty, that looks great.  All you need to do is fit the proposed SSD.  I favour the 240GB SanDisk Ultra II.  This is a very quick gaming grade SSD.  It comes with a 3 year warranty.  I don't think this is a long as the Samsung 860 EVO and it's only slightly slower than the SanDisk Ultra 3D.  You can pick up a 240GB one, for around 65 Euros on Ebay.  Any of the SSDs mentioned, are top notch.  You'll be shocked at the performance difference  :o.  In the future, you'll only use a spinner for /DATA storage  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:33:33 pm »
Samsung 860 EVO has a 5 year warranty, but more importantly it's rated for TWICE the TDP (terabytes written) as the older 850 EVO (which itself was long lived) .. which basically makes it an 850 PRO for longevity but with only a 5 year warranty where the 850 PRO had 10 years (and is why I favour them when I'm flush).

They're also (on paper) faster than the SanDisk .. that said we're talking about lab tests, in most real world scenarios you'd be hard pushed to notice the speed difference between most SATA SSD's .. most now swamp SATA III bus speeds, effectively limiting them all to the same speed.

Write to destruction comparative tests have shown the Samsung 850 EVO/PRO drives to not only (marginally) outperform the competition, but to outlast them (usually by a significant margin) .. and as I said, Samsung are rating the 860 EVO at TWICE the TDP of the 850 EVO.

But realy what you're paying the extra for is peace of mind .. where a 5 year warranty for the EVO and 10 year for the 850 PRO helps :)

Oddly, though the 860 PRO has twice the TDP of the 860 EVO (so 4X the TDP of an 850 EVO), it still only has a 5 year warranty .. only the 850 PRO had the 10 year warranty.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:43:54 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »
Well, I've spent a large part of the day reading professional reviews of SSd's and user reviews of the ones I'm interested in.  It is very lucky that I did.  Amazon for instance, has 15 pages of critical user reviews on the Samsung 850 evo.  One man's research  found that the drive does not do well on AMD systems and another posted an answer from  Samsung that admitted this.  Of course he couldn't get his money back....

It seems that ssd drives come without the necessary cable to install them and the instructions are frequently unintellible.  H'mm.  I'm not sure now what to do.  Maybe I should go for a wellknown, middle of the road make, like Kingston.  Their A400 240gb ssd drive is only about 43 and it i supposed to be 10 times faster than the ordinary spinning disc.  I must look up user reviews on that.

Remember that I'm really only trying to replace a failing disc anyway.  So I'd like some more advice from this excellent forum, if you don't mind.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:21 pm »
If you're replacing a spinner with an SSD you won't need an extra cable, you just use the same one.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 12:42:16 pm »
No SSD's perform at their best on the Windows AMD AHCI SATA driver, they all perform better if you choose the Microsoft AHCI SATA driver .. this is nothing to Samsung SSD's, and indeed has nothing to do with the attached device .. it's simply that the AMD AHCI SATA driver is rubbish.
(this is less likely to affect Linux .. I personally noticed no difference on AMD laptops under Linux, but I did under Windows until I switch AHCI driver, but that applied to ALL SSD's, it probably applies to HDD's too but you never notice it because they never approach the drop-off point of the AMD AHCI driver)

As murraymint suggests, SATA SSD's are drop in replacements for SATA HDD's so you can reuse the same cables (HDD's don't come with cables either). The only difficulty you MAY have is the 2.5" physical size (laptop size) in a desktop system, where you might want an adapter such as:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-5-to-3-5-SSD-HDD-Mounting-Adapter-Metal-Bracket-for-PC-Tower-Case-/282936122851
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:47:48 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 06:04:16 pm »
Hi again,
Sorry for the delay in replying.  Something has come up.  My wife, who is holidaying on the East Coast, has found a one man computer shop who is offering deals on refurbed Dell computers.  The specs are good.  I have sent the man a live cd of Mint Linux, which I don't want, and he tells me that he has installed it without problems.

My wife is trying to please me and I don't want to let her down.  So I have told her to buy the pc and bring it back when she returns from holiday in  about three weeks.  So I'll close this thread with thanks for your input.

I'll have to start a new subject when I get the Dell.  There's bound to be things I can't cope with, to start anyway.  So stick around as I'll need you.

Best wishes,  flighty