Choose style:

Author Topic: "New to me" Touchsmart M6  (Read 612 times)

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
"New to me" Touchsmart M6
« on: July 18, 2018, 03:27:10 am »
I just bought this Touchsmart M6. I decided on this laptop based on this write up here: https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201310-14248/

So I thought I would try Peppermint 9. And then got this error
Code: [Select]
Glib.source_remove(self.timeout.id)
there is other output that comes after that but not much. The Peppermint partitioner stalls in reading the drives right about there. So I searched on some of this

https://askubuntu.com/questions/332830/attempting-to-install-ubuntu-on-an-hp-touchsmart-tm2
But the
Press esc on start up
Press F11
mentioned did not do anything.

This looked promising:
https://www.queryxchange.com/q/3_1018804/ubuntu-16-04-installation-stuck/
So I guess use Gparted  to partition the drives and install the 14.04 release of Peppermint...

I guess I am posting this to see if I might be over looking some thing. I know right now, my Gparted isos are in Multisystem and that is Grub for DOS. Which means 32bit. Which is I think, a whole bunch of other stuff I need to figure out.

I have not yet considered removing the hard drive to partition it that way. Any suggestions on a more direct way to installing a fairly new version of Peppermint would be appreciated.

Regards
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
Re: "New to me" Touchsmart M6
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:41:46 pm »
Hi Brotherred, you are not giving us enough information to understand how to help, at least not me. I'm assuming you have booted up into the live session and are attempting to install P 9 in this laptop? If so, are you trying to set up a dual boot?
What was I thinking?

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:59:55 am »
Thanx for responding.

Yes I am booting to a LIVE session. And yes I am at least for now trying to set up dual boot. I am down loading Peppermint 6 in 64 bit because of the 14.04.

Sorry I have a bad habit of not including the most important information.

Regards.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:34:52 pm »
Okay, that's a little better, at least we know you are not having booting problems. I don't think the 14.04 or 16.04 are going to be an issue, what you will have to do is bootup into the live session, install gparted if it's not listed in the menus, and shrink your hard drive partition with I'm assuming Windows 8 on it. You'll have to create at least two new partitions, one being the Peppermint installation partition and the other a swap partition. 4 gb should be large enough for your swap partition but your installation partition depends on what you plan on doing, using Peppermint for. My self, I always create DATA partition that all my documents, videos, music etc. are stored in. Check out the forum tutorials on how to make a DATA partition and general hard drive partitioning. Once you have your partitions all set up you should be good to go, just select "Something else" when asked about the type of installation you want and select the Peppermint installation partition for root(/).
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 02:12:35 pm »
^ don't use Linux to modify Windows partitions, it's not good practice.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 02:29:59 pm »
^ don't use Linux to modify Windows partitions, it's not good practice.

Hi murraymint, I had no problem doing this in an HP Probook with Windows 7 installed and a Samsung laptop with Windows 10 installed, easily made them both dual boot with P 9. Myself, I don't even want to try to find in Windows how to modify partitions, but that's just me. At any rate, I had no problems. Now if I could just figure out how to install in UEFI mode, that would be great.
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »
You got lucky but we can't give out advice that could potentially render people's Windows unbootable.  ;)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »
You got lucky but we can't give out advice that could potentially render people's Windows unbootable.  ;)

Okay, good point, so I imagine a person would have to shrink and create a new partition in windows, then from a live session make changes/new partitions of the newly created partition with gparted? I should mention, I had followed the instructions of poster in Ubuntu Forums on how to do this, they only recommended performing a disc defrag(?) prior to shrinking the windows partition.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:42:24 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »
The general rule is use Linux to alter Linux partitions and Windows to alter Windows ones. Just safety first.

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 01:00:03 pm »
I downloaded a 64 bit Gparted ISO. And set up partitions that way. I know that this is generally best practice anyway.

The apparent failure of auto partitioning by Peppermint in this instance is really just this laptop.

I successfully installed Peppermint 9. I am marking this solved.

I admit my main problems were more with UBCD and Grub 4 DOS. Once I had 64bit Gparted installed in MULTISYSTEM and legacy boot enabled, I was set.

Regards

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk