Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint interface (SOLVED)  (Read 774 times)

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): OS 8 respin 2
Peppermint interface (SOLVED)
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:03:21 pm »
Not sure if the title fits, but I like Peppermint. I do not care for XFCE, nor do I like all opening apps to show on the top menu bar. Is there a way that I can run PM OS9 and have it look like Mate? In UM 18.04 I have the menu bar across the top, the Plank on the bottom, and all apps I open and run show on the Plank. Can I do that on PM OS9? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:07:13 am by darrel_jw »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint interface
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:38 pm »
Sure, simply Install MATE and Plank:

Open a terminal window and enter, (Copy & Paste) the following commands
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate
Logout and back in.  Select the MATE session from the login screen.  There'll be a monochrome MATE icon by the password entry window, click on that before you enter your password.

Open a terminal window and enter, (Copy & Paste) the following command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install plank
Now configure MATE and Plank to the way you like them  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:04:27 pm »
When I run the "sudo apt-get install mate" command I get:

(Reading database ... 381276 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mate-control-center-common_1.20.2-2ubuntu1_all.deb ...
Unpacking mate-control-center-common (1.20.2-2ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mate-control-center-common_1.20.2-2ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mate-control-center/ui/mate-network-properties.ui', which is also in package peppermint-proxy-configuration 0.0.2+peppermint
Selecting previously unselected package mate-control-center.
Preparing to unpack .../mate-control-center_1.20.2-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mate-control-center (1.20.2-2ubuntu1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mate-desktop-environment-core.
Preparing to unpack .../mate-desktop-environment-core_1.20.0+4_all.deb ...
Unpacking mate-desktop-environment-core (1.20.0+4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mate-desktop-environment.
Preparing to unpack .../mate-desktop-environment_1.20.0+4_all.deb ...
Unpacking mate-desktop-environment (1.20.0+4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mate-control-center-common_1.20.2-2ubuntu1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So what do I do?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:24:45 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »
After fixing broken pointers caused by the above then trying the install from synaptic I get this message:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mate-control-center-common_1.20.2-2ubuntu1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mate-control-center/ui/mate-network-properties.ui', which is also in package peppermint-proxy-configuration 0.0.2+peppermint

I am running a clean install of peppemint os 9

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:14 pm »
Any help yet?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »
It's trying to overwrite a configuration file for the Peppermint desktop. The Peppermint desktop uses elements of other desktops, including MATE, and something that the MATE package is trying to install is already installed and configured for the Peppermint desktop. As for how to fix it, I don't know.

Honestly, you'd probably be better off either running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 or Mint 19 MATE Edition. Once you strip away the custom desktop and a few other configurations, Peppermint is essentially Ubuntu. The advantage of starting with one of those systems is having MATE installed and configured out of the box.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:06:50 am »
Hi darrel_jw
Are you just wanting it to look a bit like this?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 01:12:24 am »
Hi scifi,
You're possible correct, but I have been with both Mint and UM for a very long time. I like what Peppermint is, does and stands for. And yes, I have bounced back and forth quite a bit (I can actually between distros in about 30 minutes! ::)

I probably will continue staying with PM again 'cause I like so much of it. I'm just not a fan of XFCE. Thanks for reaching to me. I appreciate it! And pin, that was humorous! Isn't so true that each of us want what we want when we want it, huh? :D

Darrel

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:53 am »
??Didn't get the humor part¿¿
Didn't your first post said "panel at the top" + "plank" at the bottom?
Or did you mean THE "mate panel"? ;)

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:38:28 am »
Sorry pin,
Yes, what I was seeking is the Mate panel at the top rather than the XFCE. I have always ran the Plank at the bottom. When I was on either Linux Mint Mate 19 or Ubuntu Mate 18.04 I again ran the Plank on the bottom. There's just something I like and prefer about the Mate panel that I don't care that much about on the XFCE panel.

The two primary driving forces for Peppermint are (1) performance and (2) support. Peppermint shines in both of those! I don't care for UM 18.04 and how it tends to "phone home" with information, and I have a problem with LM Mate 19 and how it is a bit bloated. PM, in my opinion, tends to meet what I think I have been searching for. I have been with Linux for a long time and tried many different distros, and now I would just kind of like to settle down and get on with the Bible work I do.

Sorry I had misunderstood your initial post as having been humorous.

Darrel

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:39:55 am »
Not sure if the title fits, but I like Peppermint. I do not care for XFCE, nor do I like all opening apps to show on the top menu bar. Is there a way that I can run PM OS9 and have it look like Mate? In UM 18.04 I have the menu bar across the top, the Plank on the bottom, and all apps I open and run show on the Plank. Can I do that on PM OS9? Thanks!

Hi darrel_jw,

Install Plank and configure it how you like it to be.  Then right click the xfce panel and choose panel preferences and then click the items tab.

In there, remove the item 'Windows Buttons' and open applications will no longer display on the panel.

Regards Zeb...

ps you may want to do a fresh install again to get rid of the left over Mate Desktop things you tried to install in case they give you grief in months to come.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:28 am »
Hi Zeb,
Yes that is what I wanted. That works for me. And yes, I already did a fresh install. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it!

Darrel

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint interface (SOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 04:05:36 am »
sudo apt-get remove --purge peppermint-proxy-configuration
then
sudo apt-get install mate-control-center-common
But I agree with whoever said you'd be better off with Ubuntu MATE .. installing the MATE desktop in Peppermint means you're no longer running Peppermint, you're actually MUCH closer to Ubuntu MATE than Peppermint .. BUT .. neither Peppermint or MATE would be able to offer you any kind of meaningful support because you're actually running neither.

It **is** possible to install any other DE in Peppermint, but I have zero idea why anyone would want to do that .. MUCH better (and easier) to just start with a distro that actually uses that DE. If you want an Ubuntu based distro with the MATE DE there already is one, and it'll likely be a much smoother experience than Peppermint with MATE unless you fully understand all the little tweaks they'll have added, and how to undo some tweaks we've made for our DE that might conflict with MATE .. erm, as you've already discovered) ;)

If you prefer red to green, I assure you changing the theming in Ubuntu MATE will be a LOT easier than changing the DE (and all the tweaks) in Peppermint :)

Unless you're a distro developer (in which case you wouldn't be asking anyway) you're unlikely to create something as well integrated and optimised as Ubuntu MATE by adding MATE to Peppermint. In the same way you'd have a lot of packaging and configuring to do to turn Ubuntu MATE into Peppermint.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:45:04 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline darrel_jw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint interface (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:40 am »
Just so you know - I agree. And I have gone back to straight Peppermint with the minor change to the panel by removing the window apps. So I am pretty sure I am a happy camper. My forte in the past has been SQL Server and middle ware. I am learning python but still (in my opinion) just a beginner!

Again, I appreciate the support you folks offer. And overall I like Peppermint. I think the most challenging thing for me right now is finding where I need to go to tweak anything I want. But that's just me and my developer mind. Thanks!bn ;)

Darrel