Choose style:

Author Topic: I broke the startup by trying to remove the custom splash  (Read 397 times)

Offline HCOS

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I broke the startup by trying to remove the custom splash
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:25 am »
I wanted to just see the basic systemd output with no peppermint theme, so I took a shot in the dark and removed a package called: plymouth-theme-peppermint-7. This seems to have stopped the os from booting entirely. recovery won't get me very far, and I'm wondering what the best way to just get this package back installed again to see if it fixes my mistake.
Then after I'm back where I started, how would I properly remove all peppermint theme from startup and just see the systemd(or whatever init) output?
I'm just old fashioned and like to see text output on boot and shutdown, but still make stupid mistakes and remove possibility core components of my OS installations that tend to break things entirely.
I'm not sure where to go with this and it might even be easier to just do a full reinstall for now.

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
Re: I broke the startup by trying to remove the custom splash
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:39:18 am »
Hi HCOS

When you are in the recovery screen can you try:

1) Select fsck Check all file systems (its an easy way to mount the drives)  Press return when prompted and it should take you back to the menu.

2) select network to enable networking. 

3) select root to Drop to root shell prompt then press return to enter maintenance.  At the prompt, type
Code: [Select]
ifconfig
  to check if you have a network connection. 

4) If you do have a network connection at the prompt type
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install  plymouth-theme-peppermint-7

5) At the prompt, type exit and it will take you back to the menu, then select resume.
......to infinity and beyond..............

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: I broke the startup by trying to remove the custom splash
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:35:48 am »
Is this Peppermint 7, 8, or 9 ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec