Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 - Changing ALL Firefox SSB's to use Chromium/Chrome instead.  (Read 1054 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
This tutorial requires that you already have either Chromium and/or Chrome installed .. if you don't know how to do that, STOP NOW and ask

In Peppermint 9 you can uninstall Firefox, but this will break any SSB's (including the default ones) that were created to use Firefox as the backend.

So your options would be to either have both browsers, manually delete and recreate your Firefox SSB's for Chromium/Chrome, or manually edit each SSB's .desktop file to change its "Exec=" line.

If you're unsure what an SSB is, take a look at:-

menu > Games > Entanglement

This is NOT a locally installed application, it's a web app that starts in a SSB (Site Specific Browser) which is effectively a Firefox instance without all the normal toolbars and tabs .. so they *appear* like a normal windowed locally installed application.

Peppermint uses quite a few SSB's out of the box (and you can add your own through the Ice application), the default SSB's are configured to use Firefox, so uninstalling it will break them .. THERE IS A WORKAROUND :)

SSB's are stored as .desktop files at
~/.local/share/applications
and contain a line like:-

Exec=ice-firefox https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

which would need changing (in each individual SSB) to:-

Exec=chromium-browser --app=https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx
or for Chrome
Exec=google-chrome --app=https://office.live.com/start/Excel.aspx

But rather than manually edit them all one at a time, just open a terminal and run either of these sets of 3 commands in sequence, depending on whether you want them to use Chromium of Chrome as the backend.

If you want to switch ALL Firefox SSB's to use Chromium as the backend:-
Code: [Select]
cp -vr ~/.local/share/applications ~/.local/share/applications-backup
then
cd ~/.local/share/applications
then
grep -rl 'ice-firefox ' ./ | xargs sed -i 's/ice-firefox /chromium-browser --app=/g'
(the first command backs up the directory just in case .. the second changes the current directory .. and the final command searches the current directory for files that contain the string "ice-firefox ", then replaces that string with the string "chromium-browser --app=")

ALL your Firefox SSB's should now open in Chromium instead.

If you want to switch ALL Firefox SSB's to use Chrome as the backend:-
cp -vr ~/.local/share/applications ~/.local/share/applications-backup
then
cd ~/.local/share/applications
then
grep -rl 'ice-firefox ' ./ | xargs sed -i 's/ice-firefox /google-chrome --app=/g'
(the first command backs up the directory just in case .. the second changes the current directory .. and the final command searches the current directory for files that contain the string "ice-firefox ", then replaces that string with the string "google-chrome --app=")

ALL your Firefox SSB's should now open in Chrome instead.

You can now uninstall Firefox if you wish.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:24:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
At some point maybe I should probably look into adding an 'ICE backend chooser' Peppermint Settings Panel applet to do this automagically (?)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:19:10 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
That would be a cool little utility, but you know they are going to ask for one which allows you to choose the browser to convert too. Given ICE has a few browsers to choose from.

+1
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P910 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
That would be a cool little utility, but you know they are going to ask for one which allows you to choose the browser to convert too. Given ICE has a few browsers to choose from.

+1

Yeah that's what I meant .. pick which browser you want ALL the SSB's to use, the applet then edits the launchers accordingly (for the current user).

I'm not going to do one where you can change them individually though.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
hat I meant .. pick which browser you want ALL the SSB's to use, the applet then edits the launchers accordingly (for the current user).

I'm not going to do one where you can change them individually though.

Seems to me you have all you need for a pinned tutorial on the matter... in which you explain why Firefox is default because you can customize/ise the addons & extenstions per SSB...
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.