Choose style:

Author Topic: Dual monitor setup: extending display and screen cut off (SOLVED)  (Read 2734 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
I recently hooked up my 32" LCD TV to my laptop (via VGA), to compliment the 23" HDMI monitor already connected. I got the display to output easily using xrandr:
Code: [Select]
xrandr --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1
, but about 1/3rd of the screen is cut off on the bottom and the right. I suspect this is because the resolution of the HDMI monitor is 1920x1080 and the max resolution of the TV is 1360x768.
Is there a way to correct this?

The other issue is that I can't extend the desktop across both displays, it just clones the desktop. I have tried running arandr to have the desktop extended, but I get the following error at prompt:
Code: [Select]
  File "/usr/bin/arandr", line 25, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/gui.py", line 302, in main
    force_version=options.force_version
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/gui.py", line 143, in __init__
    self.filetemplate = self.widget.load_from_x()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/widget.py", line 77, in load_from_x
    self._xrandr.load_from_x()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/xrandr.py", line 134, in load_from_x
    o.modes.append(Size(int(a) for a in d.strip().split(" ")[0].split("x")))
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/auxiliary.py", line 37, in __new__
    arg = tuple(arg)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/screenlayout/xrandr.py", line 134, in <genexpr>
    o.modes.append(Size(int(a) for a in d.strip().split(" ")[0].split("x")))
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '1080i'

I am still running Peppermint 3, although I am in the process of backing everything up for a fresh Peppermint 5 install in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I'd like to figure out how to fix the screen getting cut off and extending the desktop across both displays, if possible.

I should probably mention, the TV is hooked up to VGA which is connected to my NVIDIA card (GT540M), while the HDMI monitor is handled by integrated graphics. I have tried looking in nvidia-settings as some have suggested elsewhere, but there's no display options present.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:14:25 pm by xanadu »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Dual monitor setup: extending display and screen cut off
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:34:08 am »
If you see this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/arandr/+bug/751085

you'll see the version of arandr in 14.04 (Peppermint 5) has been fixed .. I can't find a 0.1.7.1-1 version for 12.04 (Peppermint 3)

I suppose you could see if the 14.04 version will install .. or try t "dirty fix" here:
http://blog.rktmb.org/2013/03/arandr-quick-fix-invalid-literal-for.html
as mentioned in the bug report .. but thee link in the bug report is broken.

My advice would be to leave this until you're running Peppermint 5 .. 14.04 contains a different version of Xorg, so fixes that work in 12.04 may not translate well, or may not be necessary at all.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:36:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Re: Dual monitor setup: extending display and screen cut off
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:14:15 pm »
I installed Peppermint 5 (well worth waiting to upgrade from 3 to 5, imo), as well as arandr, and this fixed both issues. With the VGA monitor to the right of the HDMI monitor in arandr, the screen no longer gets cut off, and the desktop is extended rather than cloned. Fantastic!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Dual monitor setup: extending display and screen cut off (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »
Great stuff .. thanks for the feedback, and marking the topic solved :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec