Author Topic: This problem is very strange ( SOLVED )  (Read 739 times)

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
This problem is very strange ( SOLVED )
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:50:14 am »
Well I’m not sure if this current problem I have should be posted here , but here goes .

I have a laptop ( A ) that has peppermint OS running on it  , this laptop is connected to my home wireless router via an Ethernet cable .

I have a second laptop ( B ) running windows 10 also connected to my home wireless router via an Ethernet cable .

I have an Android mobile phone that is connected to my home wireless router via  WiFi ( all data connections using the phones SIM card are disabled )

Laptop ( A ) can connect to the Internet without any problems , On this laptop I have installed a paid VPN ( Private Internet Access ) that I use to download torrents .

When I activate the VPN on laptop ( A ) to say the country of Spain , I then get an alert on my Android mobile phone from my gmail account , saying that some one has my gmail account password and that some one is situated in Spain .

I then find the ip address that laptop ( A ) is connected to via the VPN network , say  123.456.789

When I then check my Android mobile phone using an ip tracing app , it shows that my phone is connected to the same ip address 123.456.789. located in Spain that my laptop ( A ) is all so using .

When I turn off the VPN app on laptop ( A ) and then turn the VPN app back on , but this time I change the country to say Germany with ip address say  111.222.333.

I then re check my Android mobile phone and the ip address its connected to , this time it shows that it is now connected to the same ip address of 111.222.333. and the country is Germany .

My other laptop ( B ) is not affected in any way and stays connected to my wireless router and the correct ip address .

I am not sure if the peppermint OS has any thing to do with the above strange behavior and why my Android mobile phone seems in some way to be using the same VPN ip address as on my laptop ( A ) . My Android mobile phone has no VPN app installed on it .

Any thoughts most welcome

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:02:39 am by williamthe1st »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: This problem is very strange
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:56:49 am »
Hi williamtheheist,

I do believe you need to post this on the PIA forums as well.

I also have PIA and I use Peppermint and I have never had my phone say it is using the same ip as any laptop connected via PIA.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:01:07 am »
Unless your phone is accessing the internet via some kind of connection sharing setup on laptop (A), then I'd be getting in touch with your VPN provider and asking them how your phone is somehow able to hijack what is supposed to be a secure point to point encrypted tunnel.

If your phone can do it, I'd be seriously worried what else can.

I'd understand it if it were your router setting up the VPN tunnel .. but then that would apply to ALL devices connected to the router.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:03 am »
Thanks guy’s I reported the problem directly to PIA , and they came back with a few things for me to try .