Choose style:

Author Topic: Installer misreports 0.0B available for install, yet have plenty of space  (Read 713 times)

Offline Timmi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Booting Peppermint from a 2GB USB stick (NO persistence set up),
have 128GB SSD with Windows7 and an empty partition set aside for Linux
have 750GB HDD with a couple empty partitions on it that can be used for OSes.

In the installer, I get to where I select the keyboard language, and am blocked from going any farther, with error message "needs 5.6GB - you have 0.0B available"!

I never get to a screen where I can select a drive, or partition, or what to do where to install.  It just blocks at keyboard layout.

Goal: I would like to install Linux alongside Windows7 on the SSD in a dual-boot config.

I hope this doesn't confuse things (I hope not) - but here is an image of my devices and the available partitions for install
Note the 37GB available on the SSD (I can easily remove the small FAT to expand that if needed), and the 91GB and 61GB partitions on the HDD that are both empty.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:19:43 pm by Timmi »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello Timmi, your photo indicates you have your computer set up with MBR. In that set up of partitioning, 4 partitions are the maximum allowed.... in order to have more than 4 partitions you must either make one of your current partitions EXTENDED (wherein, you'll have options for more LOGICAL PARTITIONS) ... or be set up as GPT...

HOWEVER:  In your current set up,  It appears you have an empty partition set up for Linux. You must not choose the "Set Up Alongside" option, but rather choose the last installation option of "Something Else" then follow the prompts to direct the installer to use your empty partition...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:59:14 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Timmi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hello Timmi, your photo indicates you have your computer set up with MBR. In that set up of partitioning, 4 partitions are the maximum allowed.... in order to have more than 4 partitions you must either make one of your current partitions EXTENDED (wherein, you'll have options for more LOGICAL PARTITIONS) ... or be set up as GPT...

HOWEVER:  In your current set up,  It appears you have an empty partition set up for Linux. You must not choose the "Set Up Alongside" option, but rather choose the last installation option of "Something Else" then follow the prompts to direct the installer to use your empty partition...

Yes, I'm well aware that you can only have 4 partitions.  And that is why on one of the drives, there is a logical partition that contains the linux and linux swap partitions.  But both drives have an empty partition waiting to take on Linux. And the installer is reporting 0bytes available.

The whole point of this thread, is that the installer will NOT go any further!  It doesn't let you get as far as choosing where/how to install it (ie: overwrite or alongside or something else).
It stops after the language selection, and the "continue" button is dead (greyed out).

Offline Timmi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Is there a way to place images inline on here?
I don't know/understand the syntax.  (previously I just copy-pasted something from Bild.me but still don't see any image above).

OK, here are some links to images I posted on facebook, in a Linux group there, since I haven't got a clue as to how to make pictures appear inline here, and these are already uploaded somewhere:
OK, as you can see, the installer should have detected something!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108117642764909&set=p.2108117642764909&type=3&ifg=1

This is where the installer stops - it's the third or fourth screen in.  Note the [continue] button is dead (greyed out/disabled)  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108502302726443&set=p.2108502302726443&type=3&theater

(same installer as Mint (mintinstall), same problem in both)
I wanted to get you a picture from GParted, but it claims there is a Bug in libparted (gparted's words, not mine)   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108119189431421&set=p.2108119189431421&type=3&ifg=1

Proof that there is space on my SSD (those partitions are labeled beginning with Z (for Zeino) so I can tell them apart from the HDD's partitions.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108123759430964&set=p.2108123759430964&type=3&ifg=1

And proof that there is space available on my HDD (those are the partition labels beginning in T)   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108124956097511&set=p.2108124956097511&type=3&ifg=1

As you can see, Peppermint's file manager also agrees there is space available, and sees all of the partitions on both drives:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108502626059744&set=p.2108502626059744&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Sorry about the facebook image links... I figured, using that or another upload service, it comes out to the same thing anyways - it's all offsite.  And they were already there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:32:46 am by Timmi »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi Timmi, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  To post images to this site, you need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool for future use  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the sites's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Timmi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Picture Gallery of the ScreenShots (on FB)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:15:16 am »
OK, I've made a little picture gallery with the pertinent screenshots. 
It's under a FB post I made.  Hope this helps "see" better. 

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2108525836057423&set=pcb.2504664179562390&type=3&theater&ifg=1

(sorry Andy, thanks for the tip, but I tried with similar Bild.me, which also preformats the code for you, for various situations, and the forum just wasn't showing anything at all, no picture, no link, nothing. (but it would be there when I'd go to edit my post).   In the end I just got discouraged, and my need for efficiency so I can get some sleep, took over.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:25:19 am by Timmi »

Offline Timmi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
RESOLVED... but not for the installer: bug suspected
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:56 pm »
OK, it turns out, that if I remove the Toshiba HDD, the installer works:
SSD: installer works
WD hdd:  installer works
SSD+WD hdd:  installer works
Toshiba hdd:  installer does not work (quotes remaining space on booted USB stick (0bytes))
SSD + T hdd: installer does not work (quotes remaining space on booted USB stick(0bytes))

I swapped that out and added only a WD hard disk, and the installer works.
Add back in the SSD, with the WD hdd still present, and the installer works (with both the SSD and HDD).

So it's something with the Toshiba hard drive. Windows kept on nagging me to make a change to it... and maybe at some point it did. (you know how a pop-up shows up, right in the middle of when you are typing something, and while typing you press spacebar which activates "OK" in the pop up dialogue. I never saw what it was, but on the following dialogue, I answered no or cancel or whatever, but never did find out what the first one was).

What puzzles me, is that gParted would not launch, and reported a "bug in libparted", and that even with something wrong with the MBR of the hdd, the installer should still have reported on free space on the SSD, and not reported the capacity on the USB that Mint-live booted from.  It should have identified the drives, and also allowed for GParted to go to work on the drive with the error on it (recommending to wipe faulty partition, or whatever).

So, it's resolved for me, but there are definitely seems to be a bug with the installer - or at the very least, something that could be tweaked.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Without having got to the root of the issue it's impossible to say there's a bug in Ubiquity. Though if that were the case I'd expect it to be all over the web by now as the Ubiquity installer is used (unmodified) by the vast majority of distros.

As you've said Windows was also moaning about the drive, it's MUCH more likely you had a corrupted file system.

Great to hear you figured it out though and are now up and running :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec