Choose style:

Author Topic: Is there a workaround for installing non-PAE laptop? [SOLVED]  (Read 7033 times)

Barbados99

I am a newbie that has a Pentium-M laptop that is currently running Peppermint 3.  At some point it would be great to upgrade to a newer release, but I understand that version 3 is the last release that supports non-PAE computers.  I found information regarding "fake PAE" workarounds on a Lubuntu forum.  It gives a few options, but will one of these work on Peppermint?  If so, then could you help me understand which of these workarounds I should use in Peppermint?  Or if there is a better way to do this, I'm open to any help you can give me.  Thank you in advance for any help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:24:55 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Is there a workaround for installing non-PAE laptop?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »
There is a posting on the old Peppermint forum:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?p=36450#p36450

that explains how someone used the Lubuntu "grub-n-iso-n-swap" method and swapped out the Lubuntu ISO image for a Peppermint ISO image (renamed to the same name as the Lubuntu one) to install Peppermint 4 on a system with a Pentium M
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Tina

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:19 am »
Before you get into any hassel, try
inxi -f
and check for the pae flag.
Or simply try a peppermintos4 or linuxmint16, or any recent ubuntu dasein distro live-CD/USB Stick.

Recently I installed Ubuntu based LINUX Distros on Pentium M based systems and non showed an absence of the PAE flag.

On the german WIKIPEDIA page about PENTIUM M cpu's is a pretty good description which ones do or do not have the PAE capability. In short mostly very early PENTIUM M Processors lack the PAE capability.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:57:13 pm by Tina »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »
Yeah sure, it doesn't apply to all Pentium/Celeron "M" processors .. just a few.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Barbados99

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »
Tina, I checked and my computer is non-pae.  I installed the fake-pae and it did result in the changed pae flag.  So I understand that part.  I'm reading and trying to understand the Lubuntu "grub-n-iso-n-swap" method to swap out the Lubuntu ISO image for a Peppermint ISO image. 

PCNetSpec, your link was helpful.  I'm going to try this method.  If nothing else, it will help me play around with linux and maybe get used to some of the linux functionality.  I feel pretty stupid at this point  :-)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »
Hey we all have to start somewhere .. I new sod all about Linux 4 years ago, at least  you seem happy to be jumping in at the deep end :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Tina

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:01:40 pm »
Hi Barbados, I'm sorry that the easy way did not work for you. ;-)
But I'm curious wether you get your System Running. It does sound straight forward.
Perharps someone  could prepare a fake PAE PM4 iso?
There might be quite some Users who will be replacing Windows XP within the next couple of weeks. And Pentium Ms are the most common mobile cpus that are still powerfull enough and were originally deliverd with Win XP.
I have at least two more Pentium M based laptops i will have to update for friends and neighbours.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Barbados99

Re: [SOLVED] Is there a workaround for installing non-PAE laptop?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »
That link posted in the 1st reply in this thread (by PCNetSpec) has everything needed to make Peppermint 4 work on non-PAE laptops, even on my antique, IBM Thinkpad, Pentium-M with 512mb of RAM. 

It runs really really well too.  So much better than the XP that was on it.  There are still a lot of these old Thinkpads in use, and if they can still run well with Peppermint, then why not keep them going?  I now have a dual-boot setup with Peppermint 4 and also antiX.  I like both of these distros a lot.  They both run great on old hardware.

I didn't know a tarball from a basketball a few weeks ago, but now I feel like I learned a little bit about Linux with this experience.  Thanks to everyone who helped, especially PCNetSpec.  Life is good now :-)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:12:27 pm »
That link posted in the 1st reply in this thread (by PCNetSpec) has everything needed to make Peppermint 4 work on non-PAE laptops, even on my antique, IBM Thinkpad, Pentium-M with 512mb of RAM.

According to system specs on your R51 model you are capable of running up to 2 gigs ram, If you really like the way it runs on 512mb i can tell you this much it will run much sweeter on more ram...  :)
ram for these is cheap on ebay and amazon...  :)

ThinkPad R51 Series (Type 2883) System Specs
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Slots: 2
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:25:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Barbados99

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:39:57 pm »

According to system specs on your R51 model you are capable of running up to 2 gigs ram, If you really like the way it runs on 512mb i can tell you this much it will run much sweeter on more ram...  :)
ram for these is cheap on ebay and amazon...  :)

ThinkPad R51 Series (Type 2883) System Specs
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Slots: 2

Thanks, I didn't realize it was cheap to buy.  Even with the 512mb it runs a lot better than it did XP.  I am so thankful for the help here with the workaround. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:25:49 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »

Thanks, I didn't realize it was cheap to buy.  Even with the 512mb it runs a lot better than it did XP.  I am so thankful for the help here with the workaround.

I have 3 chips for sale on ebay now that will fit your machine, they are all 512mb chips, I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but two 512 chips will double your ram to 1 gig...   :)
I have them listed for $4.99 plus shipping but I will combine shipping on them for you....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:26:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Barbados99

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 03:38:59 pm »

I have 3 chips for sale on ebay now that will fit your machine, they are all 512mb chips, I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but two 512 chips will double your ram to 1 gig...   :)
I have them listed for $4.99 plus shipping but I will combine shipping on them for you....

I have an old Thinkpad that is identical to this one (purchased at the same time) that I kept for parts (it didn't cost anything) so I can try to harvest the RAM out of that one.  But thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:24:14 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Is there a workaround for installing non-PAE laptop? [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 05:46:30 pm »
Any further dealings with this RAM, by personal message ONLY please (and even then only at the behest of [redacted]).

I know you were just trying to be helpful, but ALL unsolicited offers of this kind will be treated as spam, and will likely get you banned.

Different if someone asks .. but unsolicited is definitely spam.

Also be aware that if anyone reports that you've sent unsolicited offers by personal message, that will also likely get you banned.

This is a not ebay, so please don't use this forum for advertising .. Thanks for understanding :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:24:39 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 05:50:17 pm »
Any further dealings with this RAM, by personal message ONLY please (and even then only at the behest of [redacted]).

I know you were just trying to be helpful, but ALL unsolicited offers of this kind will be treated as spam, and will likely get you banned.

Different if someone asks .. but unsolicited is definitely spam.

Also be aware that if anyone reports that you've sent unsolicited offers by personal message, that will also likely get you banned.

This is a not ebay, so please don't use this forum for advertising .. Thanks for understanding :)
Sorry Mark I was not aware of that since I seen it on other forums, but now I know, and again I am sorry....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:26:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 06:27:32 pm »
No problem, but if I said nothing we'd no doubt be inundated ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec