Choose style:

Author Topic: Annoying problem with Dropbox Icon [SOLVED]  (Read 505 times)

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Annoying problem with Dropbox Icon [SOLVED]
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:07:08 pm »
Hi, All!

I did an install of Peppermint 9, including restoring data with Déjà-Dup.  Except for the ~/.config file, which caused weird things the first time I tried this.

Anyway, I have a wee annoying problem with my Dropbox Icon.  Dropbox is doing all the important stuff properly.  Like syncing and all that.

However, when I select "Open Dropbox Folder" from the icon, it does not do that.  Instead it opens a music player (Audacious) and starts playing sound files from a hidden file I keep sound effects and notify sounds in.

I tried uninstalling Dropbox, without deleting the /Dropbox folder.  And then reinstalled Dropbox.  And it still opens the same (wrong) application instead of opening the Dropbox folder from the icon.

Any suggestons?  Should I completely removed Dropbox, including deleting the Dropbox folder, and then reinstall again.

Or is there some settings or configuration file somewhere I need to fix up?

Thanks in advance!
 8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:26:25 pm by Mynaardt »
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying problem with Dropbox Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 04:11:27 pm »
Additional

I had an idea!  (when I regained consciousness ... etc)

Anyway, it suddenly occurred to me to see what happens if I uninstalled Audacious.
So, after removing Audacious, then Dropbox opens properly with Nemo through the Dropbox Icon.   :)

Then I tired to see what happens if I reinstall Audacious.
Then the Dropbox Icon went back to playing Audacious instead of Nemo again.   :o

So, obviously, there's some strange interaction between the Audacious player and the Dropbox Icon.
So, I've removed Audacious again so the Dropbox icon will work properly with Nemo again.

I can live without Audacious.  I just like having it on hand because it's a resource light sound player.

Anyone have any idea what would cause the Dropbox Icon to latch onto Audacious like that instead of Nemo?

Thanks (in advance) again!
 8)
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:42:50 pm »
I am not familiar with Déjà-Dup, not sure if any of the rest of the group is... but am suspecting your restoration of data held on to some config fiiles from your previous installation of Peppermint.  How did you uninstall / reinstall Audacious?
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »
Well, I tried making my system a dual boot.  Did not do it right, and therefore had to reinstall Peppermint all over again.   :-[

On the other hand, I gave up on the idea of trying to make my computer a dual boot.  Live and learn, eh?   ::)

But now, with this newest and latest install of Peppermint 9; no more issues with Audacious taking over the browse Dropbox thingy.

There probably was some hold-over from my other configuration and/or restoration files.  But it seems to be gone now1    8)
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)