Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing P9 into an HP Probook  (Read 495 times)

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
Installing P9 into an HP Probook
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:06:10 pm »
Hello Peppermint people. Just wanted to share today's funtime.
I had a hell of a time installing P9 into this laptop. It had Windows on it which I had previously removed using gparted and changing the partitions to install Peppermint except the sda1-system info partition. So I installed P9 and ended up with a dual boot configuration since Windows boot manager was still in the sda1 partition. Basically, that's what I wanted to get rid of. First I deleted the sda1 partition, then recreated it. I then tried to install the grub from P9 which was installed on sda2 but I kept getting an error that /dev/sda2 wasn't in the fstab which didn't make any sense to me since P9 was installed there. So I attempted a fresh install using the same partition scheme I already had and selected sda1 for the boot installation. Installation completed and when I rebooted, I think I got the screen ironduke was getting in his post, nothing worked no keys did anything. Had to power down. So I reviewed ironduke's post and I reformatted the harddrive as a GPT partition table similar to pin's snapshot and tried again. Same results. Well I threw in the towel and just did an erase disc and install Peppermint installation. That went well and it's all working fine but I don't think it's an UEFI system, which is what I was shooting for. Gparted shows only the one partition, not even a swap partition.
What was I thinking?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Installing P9 into an HP Probook
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:50 am »
A default install of any 18.04 based distro doesn't have a separate /swap partition any more .. 18.04 (so Peppermint 9 too) now uses a swap FILE not a swap PARTITION. choose, but for that yoou'd need to choose "Something Else" at the partitioning section of the installer and manually specify your partition scheme.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:04:40 am »
A default install of any 18.04 based distro doesn't have a separate /swap partition any more .. 18.04 (so Peppermint 9 too) now uses a swap FILE not a swap PARTITION. choose, but for that yoou'd need to choose "Something Else" at the partitioning section of the installer and manually specify your partition scheme.

Thanks for the info PCNetSpec. I had the exact same problems when I Updated my Samsung laptop to P9 and remove Windows completely, went through the same rigamaroe and ended up erasing disc and installing P9. I then had to repartition the hard drive to set up my DATA partition and while I was there I made a swap partition. Will that swap partition be used or is it just redundant?
What was I thinking?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:02 am »
If you created it during the partitioning phase of the installer and told it to be mounted as /swap .. then it will be used.

You can check what is being used for swap space by running:
Code: [Select]
swapon -s
if you see something like
mark@Dell-E6530 ~ $ swapon -s
Filename Type Size         Used       Priority
/dev/sda3                              partition 16713724 0    2
you're using a swap PARTITION, located at /dev/sda3 (in the above example).

If on the other hand you see something like
mark@Dell-E6520 ~ $ swapon -s
Filename Type Size        Used    Priority
/swapfile                              file    2097148        0    -2
you're using a swap FILE, located at /swapfile (in the above example).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:36:29 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:09:21 pm »
Thanks PCNetSpec, I'll quit worrying about this stuff and just enjoy the laptop. :)
What was I thinking?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »
No worries my mate :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec