Choose style:

Author Topic: Java, Flash, codecs, etc. (SOLVED)  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Svante

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Java, Flash, codecs, etc. (SOLVED)
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:59:36 am »
Normally in Lubuntu, I install this after I have updated the system:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y icedtea-7-plugin lubuntu-restricted-extras vlc-plugin-pulse ttf-mscorefonts-installer && sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
Is this necessary in Peppermint?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:47:44 am by Svante »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Java, Flash, codecs, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:13:58 am »
This has just become a bit complex

personally I'd also add ubuntu-restricted-extras

but here's the kicker .. aura versions of both Google Chrome and Chromium have COMPLETELY dropped support for NPAPI plugins.

Flash will work out of the box as we've added the pepperflash PPAPI plugin for Chromium (and if you install Chrome it comes with it anyway.
Firefox on the other hand would still require "flashlugin-installer" but I'm sure we have that by default anyway.

Your MAJOR problem is you will NOT be able to get any JAVA plugin to work .. IcedTea and the Oracle Java plugins are both NPAPI plugins, so will work in Firefox but not in Aura versions of Chrome/Chromium.

If you need a java plugin, and want Chrome or Chromium (which you need for Ice to work) your only option is to downgrade to a non-Aura version of Chrome and/or Chromium

See here:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,494.0.html
easiest option is to just install the non-aura version of Chrome from that page .. then you'll see the icedtea plugin is active when you go to
chrome://plugins

Seems Google are all about creating problems lately :)

As this isn't very clear .. if you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer them.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec