Choose style:

Author Topic: Wireless driver preinstalled?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline sbx

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Wireless driver preinstalled?
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:01 pm »
Does Peppermint OS or any other OS contain preinstalled wireless driver (to run wifi on live medium)?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
Re: Wireless driver preinstalled?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:54 pm »
Peppermint (and most other distro's) contain quite a few wireless drivers (including in the "Live" media), but obviously not all drivers for every wireless adapter ever made ;)

Easiest way to find out .. burn a LiveCD, boot from it and select "Try Peppermint" .. and see if wireless works.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sbx

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »
It doesn't work. In Additional drivers it shows two options: Using ... Broadcom etc... 2. Do not use the device (which is marked). When I choose the first option (and apply changes) it shows a progresss bar for a while and nothing else happens. I suppose that it would install the driver if I was connected. Does it mean that the OS just detects the wireless device but it will not work?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »
If "Additional Drivers" is offering you the broadcom drivers, you'll need a connection as it's going to download them.

Connect to your router with an ethernet cable .. then tell additional drivers to install the drivers.

Once done, you can disconnect from the router.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec