Choose style:

Author Topic: Changing DE  (Read 654 times)

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Changing DE
« on: June 24, 2018, 01:28:43 pm »
i see that there's a lot of Desktop Environments in the Linux World and that's great because it gives users the advantage of choice.
i toyed around with some distros on VBox and i liked the Deepin DE so i wanted to know if i could install it on Pmint 8 ? is it possible and if it is then can these changes break the system ?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Changing DE
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:31:58 pm »
Hi Ly,

Short answers - Yes and Yes.

Long answer - You would be better off just installing Deepin OS because by the time you made all the changes and got everything working - it would no longer be Peppermint OS.

Regards Zeb...

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:37:20 pm »
Hi Ly,

Short answers - Yes and Yes.

Long answer - You would be better off just installing Deepin OS because by the time you made all the changes and got everything working - it would no longer be Peppermint OS.

Regards Zeb...

Ok thanks for the answer Zeb :)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 05:26:36 pm »
i see that there's a lot of Desktop Environments in the Linux World and that's great because it gives users the advantage of choice.
i toyed around with some distros on VBox and i liked the Deepin DE so i wanted to know if i could install it on Pmint 8 ? is it possible and if it is then can these changes break the system ?

Perhaps better to partition your drive and install it as an alternate boot option at start up...
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:45:09 pm »
I'm with Zeb .. it'd be an awful lot of work and risk a lot of breakage to basically end up with DeepinOS. So why not just START with Deepin.

In fact if you basically turned Peppermint into Deepin, neither of us would be able to offer support.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:31:15 pm »
I'm with Zeb .. it'd be an awful lot of work and risk a lot of breakage to basically end up with DeepinOS. So why not just START with Deepin.

In fact if you basically turned Peppermint into Deepin, neither of us would be able to offer support.

I had this idea when i saw this video

and it seemed to me that installing DDE on Pmint 8 which is Ubuntu based would be the same thing but i had serious doubts about it that's why i didn't try it before asking you :)
I'm backing up my Data to my Win7 partition and i'll test a Deepin DE distro to give it  a try.
By the way i want to mention that Pmint 9 doesn't load well in VirtualBox, i can start the live session but the image is buggy and you can't really distinguish the Desktop or the mouse moving. I tried booting up using a Live USB (using the same ISO) and it worked fine.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
This is a Vbox issue, it did the same with Peppermint 8 when it was first released but they later fixed it.

To boot the live session in a vbox...

boot the Live session, and when you get to the "Try Peppermint / Install Peppermint" screen, hit the "Tab" key.

some white writing should appear at the bottom of the screen that ends with

quiet splash --

change that to end with

quiet splash nomodeset --

and hit "Enter" to continue booting.

Once you've installed Peppermint into the vbox, it should run perfectly.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 08:19:20 pm »
I tried installing different desktop environments than the ones that came with the distribution(s) years ago and it's more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. I found it much easier and more elegant to just multi boot distros with the different desktops that I liked.