Choose style:

Author Topic: No Menue after installing 9  (Read 921 times)

Offline toddgrim

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
No Menue after installing 9
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:13:58 pm »
I guess I'll be the first! Just installed Pep-9 32 bit and my whisker menu is empty. Lots of icons don't show up on the Software manager either.

I did the install just like I've done many times in the past and never had this issue before.

I've been using Peppermint for a couple years now and while I seldom go "under the hood" I do know how it should work and look.

Help!

Todd

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
Re: No Menue after installing 9
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »
try pressing ctrl-alt-t to open a terminal

copy paste:

Code: [Select]
peppermint-settings-panel

into the terminal

This should open the settings panel

Click on tweaks then click on Reset the Panel to Defaults
......to infinity and beyond..............

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
I guess I'll be the first! Just installed Pep-9 32 bit and my whisker menu is empty. Lots of icons don't show up on the Software manager either.

I did the install just like I've done many times in the past and never had this issue before.

I've been using Peppermint for a couple years now and while I seldom go "under the hood" I do know how it should work and look.

Help!

Todd

Can you be more specific about how you installed PM9.  Was it a full clean installation?    Did you have a separate /home folder in the old installation?   If you did, have you tried to apply it to the new PM9 installation?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline toddgrim

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »
Resetting the panel reset the panel, and my customizations are gone, but my Whisker menu is still empty.

I always install by formatting my "\" partition and designating my home partition but not formatting it. Always worked flawlessly before with Peppermint and several other distros. This time, not so much.

Offline toddgrim

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: No Menu after installing 9
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 04:02:58 pm »
fixed typo

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »
Resetting the panel reset the panel, and my customizations are gone, but my Whisker menu is still empty.

I always install by formatting my "\" partition and designating my home partition but not formatting it. Always worked flawlessly before with Peppermint and several other distros. This time, not so much.

We never recommend this "soft upgrade" method.  It eventually always causes problems.  The configuration files are kept in the /home folder.  Having a /home folder is great for reinstalling an existing distro if you break it.  It's a disaster waiting to happen if it's used as an upgrading method.  The new distro version has updated software packages.  The old configuration files are not compatible with the new distro version.  You've been lucky in the past because you were probably only upgrading a point release.  I'm not sure if there is a way around this  :-\PCNetSpec, will know if there is.  He'll be around later when the traffic on the servers calm down  ;).

To make future installations simple and less time consuming. We recommend creating a user defined /DATA partition. This simple modification makes upgrading to a new disto painless. Our Trusted User, Slim.Fatz has written an excellent tutorial on how to do this.  Full instructions can be found at the other end of this link: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:16:56 pm »
Does the guest session work properly ?

If so, the problem is with some configs left behind from your old version.

Easiest way out would be to create a new user account, then copy your user files from the broken account into it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:04:57 am »
`allo, `allo, `allo!

This is sounding like a problem I'm having.

I installed PMOS 9, then used Déjà-Dup to put the data back on.  It looked like everythig was tickity-boo.

But, soon after the Whiskers menu contents vanished, Alt-F2 didn't seen to launch much of anything and the software manager was gone.  Or at least it wouldn't run. 
 :-[

I'll try it again, but would I be correct in assuming that this time I should get Déjà-Dup to completely ignore ~/.config?

It sounds like the old config files mess things up.  And more than a little1

Thanks in advance!
 8)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:07:15 am by Mynaardt »
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34:21 am »
`allo, `allo, `allo!

This is sounding like a problem I'm having.

I installed PMOS 9, then used Déjà-Dup to put the data back on.  It looked like everythig was tickity-boo.

But, soon after the Whiskers menu contents vanished, Alt-F2 didn't seen to launch much of anything and the software manager was gone.  Or at least it wouldn't run. 
 :-[

I'll try it again, but would I be correct in assuming that this time I should get Déjà-Dup to completely ignore ~/.config?

It sounds like the old config files mess things up.  And more than a little1

Thanks in advance!
 8)

Hi Mynaardt, you're correct with your assumption.  It's the old PM8 .config files that are causing your Whisker Menu issue.  There are a few .config files that are the same.  I can't remember which ones though  :-\.  It's good to see you're using a backup schedule  ;).

To make future installations really simple and painless.  You should consider creating a user defined /DATA partition.  This simple and very effective modification, will make upgrading to a new distro release ridiculously simple.  You won't have to worry about configuration file conflicts.  You can even do some sneaky distro hopping without losing any data, or breaking your system  ;).  What's more, you can dual boot either with another Linux distro(s) and/or Windows and share folders and files - powerful stuff eh  8)!   

Our Trusted User, Slim.Fatz has written an excellent step by step tutorial, on how to create a user defined /DATA partition and  how to connect it by using symlinks.  You can find the tutorial by following this link: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  I highly recommend doing this.  It's a splendid project for everyone, irrespective of their skill level.  It's incredibly useful  ;).

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:38 am »
Hi Mynaardt, you're correct with your assumption.  It's the old PM8 .config files that are causing your Whisker Menu issue.  There are a few .config files that are the same.  I can't remember which ones though  :-\.  It's good to see you're using a backup schedule  ;).

To make future installations really simple and painless.  You should consider creating a user defined /DATA partition.  This simple and very effective modification, will make upgrading to a new distro release ridiculously simple.  You won't have to worry about configuration file conflicts.  You can even do some sneaky distro hopping without losing any data, or breaking your system  ;).  What's more, you can dual boot either with another Linux distro(s) and/or Windows and share folders and files - powerful stuff eh  8)!   

Our Trusted User, Slim.Fatz has written an excellent step by step tutorial, on how to create a user defined /DATA partition and  how to connect it by using symlinks.  You can find the tutorial by following this link: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  I highly recommend doing this.  It's a splendid project for everyone, irrespective of their skill level.  It's incredibly useful  ;).

Hi, AndyInMokum!

Okay, I shall check that out.

I've never had this particular problem before, obviously.

There's always something new to learn, isn't there?   ::)

Thanks again!
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 05:37:44 am »

Hi, AndyInMokum!

Okay, I shall check that out.

I've never had this particular problem before, obviously.

There's always something new to learn, isn't there?   ::)

Thanks again!

Peppermint 9 is a major distro upgrade.  It's a jump from the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base to the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS base along with a new kernel series.  On the other hand, the last couple of releases were point releases of the 16.04 LTS Ubuntu base.  Luckily, the .config files remained the same.  The /DATA partition will eliminate the issues caused by these major upgrades.  It must be noted, it's not a substitute for your regular backups  ;).

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
Peppermint 9 is a major distro upgrade.  It's a jump from the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base to the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS base along with a new kernel series.  On the other hand, the last couple of releases were point releases of the 16.04 LTS Ubuntu base.  Luckily, the .config files remained the same.  The /DATA partition will eliminate the issues caused by these major upgrades.  It must be noted, it's not a substitute for your regular backups  ;).

Hi again!

I'm doing the install all over again.    ::)

I installed all the software I like all over again.

Then I did another Déjà-Dup back up again.  This time, though, I told it to ignore ~/.config entirely.
I did the restore of those files onto the new PMOS 9 install.  So far so good.

No disappearing main menu (as yet).

I'll try the /DATA drive thing another time when I'm feeling a bit braver.
Definitely a good idea from the looks of it.

But my brain is a bit frozen for the moment (what, with watching England making it to the World Cup semi-finals and all), which is another reason I don't want to try that cool looking method and then mess it up somehow.  Better safe than sorry, and all that good stuff.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice.  Appreciate it!
 8)

~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)