Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 Released .. go get it :)  (Read 7720 times)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
Re: Peppermint 9 Released .. go get it :)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:08 am »
I am excited but slightly sad.  :D :(
One of the beauties of Linux are the seamless updates.  No waiting for hours, no rebooting 100's of times, just simple click and leave...

But now I have to re-install completely to get the latest version?!?! :-[  What about all of my settings such as Thunderbird and dropbox... Will they be kept?  If not then I will have to cling on to 8 until there is an easy way to port all of the settings over.  :-\    I don't have the energy to make a note of all of my programme settings.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 09:49:09 am »
Don't despair Kloos! Looking back Team Peppermint have always preferred and recommended full fresh installations. But if you have a separate DATA partition all of your files and some of your settings will remain intact. A HOME partition however holds on to settings from peppermint 8 that will need adjusting and recreating... Truthfully, it'll be quicker to start clean. So let us know if your p8 instrall had set had a HOME or DATA partition in a new support thread and someone'll advise you from there.

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:37 am »
I use Thunderbird and you definitely can save the config file and use it on a new installation to restore all your settings.

In your home folder, right click and select show hidden files.  Open the one called .thunderbird and copy the folder that has a series of numbers and letters ending in .default.

When you do a new install, before you install Thunderbird, create a folder in your home directory called .thunderbird  Copy the folder into it and then when you install Thunderbird, all your settings will be as before.

Not sure about Dropbox as I don't use it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:46:52 am by TonyBronze »
......to infinity and beyond..............

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:02 am »
Yep. same thing can be done with:-

Firefox - backup and transfer ~/.mozilla

Chrome - backup and transfer ~/.config/google-chrome

Chromium - backup and transfer ~/.config/chromium

Dropbox - backup and transfer ~/.dropbox    (and if you also want the local content ~/Dropbox)

Personally I backup the entire home folder, then after reinstalling transfer stuff across manually as and when I come across missing stuff .. that way I'm safe if I forget anything.

I also backup /etc for the same reasons, this may be less important for most users but I have all the openvpn connections to the Peppermint servers in there along with some other custom network configurations.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jeffrydada

• nOOb
  • Proud Linux user since 1998!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 on my desktop, 9 on my MBP
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2018, 02:27:51 pm »
Ah! Thanks so much! I didn't consider the change in base software. I'm reading Slim.Fatz's tutorial now, it's very good.  My desktop is a dual boot system with 10 TB of HD space. (2 - 3tb drives and 2 - 2tb drives) Peppermint is my "work" system on one of the 3tb drives.  On one of the 2tb drives I run a KDE Neon based KXStudio for recording music. The other 2 drives are used for data backup of my /home folders. It seems like - in theory - that I could take Slim.Fatz's instructions and turn one of my backup drives into a /DATA partition.  That could be very useful whenever I'm using Peppermint and want to transfer a file from one OS to the other with out the need of opening Nemo as root.  Thanks to TonyBronze for the Thunderbird reminder, I have an Apple mail account and it's always a pain to set up with their 2 part ID system.  ::)  BTW I'm glad I joined this forum everyone is very helpful, thank you!  ;D
You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes, you get what you need.  -  Mick Jagger

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2018, 02:38:08 pm »
I do find it kinda funny how Ubuntu built in the Minimal Install option giving users the option to install something vaguely similar to our default position.

And yet we're planning on using the same option but looking at it from the opposite perspective .. so our ISO is more functional (say offline), but users can still choose "Minimal Install" to basically get the "normal" Pepermint experience :)

Basically they're giving people a "Minimal Install" option .. We'll be offering an "Additional Install" along with the a "Regular" (minimal) install :))

In fact I'm going to see if it'd be possible (in the respin) to have the "Minimal Install" option reworded to "Normal Peppermint Install" and set as the default state, and the other option called "With Extra Software" (that the user has to specifically choose) .. should be doable :)
Peppermint 9 installed in about 10 minutes on my hp elitebook 8440p. It has an i7 and 4gigs of ram.  That has to be the fastest I've installed peppermint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline jeffrydada

• nOOb
  • Proud Linux user since 1998!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 on my desktop, 9 on my MBP
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »

I agree, 9 is fast I think it was about 11 minutes on my '09 MacBookPro! And as a bonus this old laptop performs faster and better than it ever did under OSX!! I love watching people at the coffee shop freak out when they see it's not running OSX then blow their minds  :o at how fast apps open (almost instantly!)  :P
You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes, you get what you need.  -  Mick Jagger

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 03:28:25 pm »
I am tempted to install version 9, as it looks great in the reviews on YouTube. On the other hand, I just installed version 8 three weeks ago and it works flawlessly. So the installation will probably be delayed to a boring day in autumn. ;)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 03:30:58 pm »
You can always install 9 respin

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 07:08:05 pm »

I agree, 9 is fast I think it was about 11 minutes on my '09 MacBookPro! And as a bonus this old laptop performs faster and better than it ever did under OSX!! I love watching people at the coffee shop freak out when they see it's not running OSX then blow their minds  :o at how fast apps open (almost instantly!)  :P

I know how you feel.  I get the same, slightly pitying looks when I walk into a coffee house with my older machines.  Those pitying looks change PDQ, when they see how, high octane dragster quick my "older' machines are.  I think it's hysterical :))!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 08:23:16 pm »
...However since they are friends of mine they are really  :o when I give it back to them as I found this is the best way to at least introduce an unwilling Windows user to Peppermint Linux.  ;)

Yeah, you can lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink though.  Many people think of Linux as a second rate alternative to Windows.  Or, they're under the common misconception, it's hard to use.  To most people, having a home PC necessitates using M$ products only.  The two are indivisible.  The computer comes with Windows preinstalled; I must therefore use/buy M$ products.  It's embossed into people's psyche.  They think it's some sort of trick when they see Linux actually working on metal, especially old metal.  To some, it's an epiphany, to most it's remains some sort of parlour trick with all kinds of catches to it.  It's sad but true  :(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 04:37:54 am »
Don't despair Kloos! Looking back Team Peppermint have always preferred and recommended full fresh installations. But if you have a separate DATA partition all of your files and some of your settings will remain intact. A HOME partition however holds on to settings from peppermint 8 that will need adjusting and recreating... Truthfully, it'll be quicker to start clean. So let us know if your p8 instrall had set had a HOME or DATA partition in a new support thread and someone'll advise you from there.

;)
Thanks Spence.  I will look into it later and see what is there.  In truth I don't have that many settings, but I was surprised that you needed a complete install.  I'm, fairly new to linux so will have to get used to this kind of thing.  The price of progress  :D

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 05:01:08 am »
Hi Kloos,

We are looking to introduce upgrading at some point - but our unique blend of components from different projects make that particular aspect quite difficult.

I, for one, prefer the speed and stability of Peppermint over the "benefit" of doing a Ver to Ver upgrade. Re-install once a year is a small price to pay  ;D

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:45 am »
Thanks Spence.  I will look into it later and see what is there.  In truth I don't have that many settings, but I was surprised that you needed a complete install.  I'm, fairly new to linux so will have to get used to this kind of thing.  The price of progress  :D

I'll probably get quite a few fellow  users banging on about this, but...
If you have a spare machine, you could try a rolling release distro. Be prepared for a few glitches everynow and then, things like kernel regressions, API changes, required dependencies, etc...
If you are willing to have a semi-broken system for a few hours and are ready to get your hands dirty to fix it. Give it a try.

Personally, I like it. That's why I have two laptops, Peppermint and Void running. I wouldn't do it if my work would depend on one machine only.

Regards

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 10:56:05 am »

Theoretically we could do a do-dist-upgrade script, but it would require us modifying config files in the users home directory .. we decided long ago modifying anything in the users home directory is off limits because of the risk of undoing user applied customisations.

There's also our opinion that do-dist-upgrade's often go wrong, and don't encourage a strong "backup first" ethos/culture. I mean think of this situation - The user has an encrypted disk, hasn't backed up because they trust the do-dist-upgrade, and the upgrade fails. They may well have just permanently lost access to everything on their system :o .. would you like to have to offer support in that circumstance, or be seen to have to say "nothing we can do mate, sorry" ?

I know other OS's are happy to do this, but I'm not happy encouraging people to do something that may risk their data .. I'd MUCH rather people moan at us for not having an easy upgrade path than moan at us because they just lost all their data ;)
(not because we're afraid of being moaned at, but because we'd rather they not have lost their data in the first place)

So .. If a user wants to manually change the repos, and risk an in place upgrade that's their choice, but it's not our policy and we'd strongly advise against it unless they understand the implications and know how to dig themselves out of hole should things go wrong ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:39:37 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec