Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 Released .. go get it :)  (Read 7501 times)

Offline JoeSh

• Peppermint does the trick
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7 (32bit) 10 (64bit)
Re: Peppermint 9 Released .. go get it :)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 05:46:41 pm »
When I went to install Peppermint 9 and I saw a minimal install  :o

It does the same thing as doing a full install, I'm sorry to say. I think that's just a leftover from Ubuntu.

I was recently talking about a minimal install on this forum. I just love that the option is there. Again, just another arrow in the Armour.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »
I do find it kinda funny how Ubuntu built in the Minimal Install option giving users the option to install something vaguely similar to our default position.

And yet we're planning on using the same option but looking at it from the opposite perspective .. so our ISO is more functional (say offline), but users can still choose "Minimal Install" to basically get the "normal" Pepermint experience :)

Basically they're giving people a "Minimal Install" option .. We'll be offering an "Additional Install" along with the a "Regular" (minimal) install :))

In fact I'm going to see if it'd be possible (in the respin) to have the "Minimal Install" option reworded to "Normal Peppermint Install" and set as the default state, and the other option called "With Extra Software" (that the user has to specifically choose) .. should be doable :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:06:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 06:00:30 pm »
congratulations to the Peppermint team !  :D
downloading it right now!

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 06:30:27 pm »
 ;D

Offline JoeSh

• Peppermint does the trick
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7 (32bit) 10 (64bit)
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
Get the word out there. Linux? - Try Peppermint.

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 01:55:54 am »
 a short hello to send you a GZ for the new release

Torrents downloaded and seeding, and please forgive me if i will stay at 8 spin 2, because of serious reasons (maybe i will ask later and on another thread for a solution).

but now let me say thank you, peppermint-team, for the great work and interesting distro....  :)

and also let me say thank you to EB for his great, interesting and emotional videos about peppermint, he is responsible for my interest in peppermint...  ;)
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 02:21:36 am »
Hi CRLinux, how's it going  :)?  Welcome to the Peppermint Forum, it's really nice to meet you  ;).  Thank you for your kind words and for seeding the ISO.  That's a huge help  ;).  Yeah, EB does get all fired up when it comes to Peppermint.  He loves it with a passion  ;D.  There's no need to apologize.  Peppermint 8 Respin-2 is a very fine distro and it will receive support through April of 2021 - that can't be bad eh :)!    If it's working for you, there's absolutely no reason to upgrade to the new version  ;).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:23:41 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:11 am »
Yeah, as Andy said!
Although,... I can't help to get curious as to what your "issue" with 9 could be...
Something related to your hardware and the kernel??

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:41:54 am by pin »

Offline jeffiths

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64 bit)
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 10:19:13 am »
Downloaded and seeding. Thanks to the Peppermint team for the hard work. Best OS out there!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 10:22:04 am »
For my part, you're more than welcome jeffiths, in fact it's an honour you chose Peppermint :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jeffrydada

• nOOb
  • Proud Linux user since 1998!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 on my desktop, 9 on my MBP
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 01:26:32 pm »
can I use sudu apt-get upgrade from v.8 to v.9?
You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes, you get what you need.  -  Mick Jagger

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 02:17:36 pm »
I'm afraid not jeffrydada, Peppermint 9 requires a fresh installation .. that said, Peppermint 8 is still fully supported so there's no rush to upgrade. Only move to 9 when you're good and ready ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jeffrydada

• nOOb
  • Proud Linux user since 1998!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 on my desktop, 9 on my MBP
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 12:25:21 am »
Thanks for the reponse, I love Peppermint!  As it turns out I should be OK i keep my home folder separate from my root folder so I'll just try a reinstall of the root partition and it should work just fine.  Keep up the good work guys
You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes, you get what you need.  -  Mick Jagger

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 04:20:52 am »
Hi jeffrydada,

Unfortunately, that might cause you problems. The old /home directory has your configuration files for various programs, and these can sometimes be no longer compatible with the programs in Peppermint 9 (e.g. a newer version that might use different configuration options).  ???

Therefore, it is best to backup your personal data files (docs, pictures, music, etc) and then create a new /home directory during the fresh installation of Peppermint 9;)
Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:20 am »
Thanks for the reponse, I love Peppermint!  As it turns out I should be OK i keep my home folder separate from my root folder so I'll just try a reinstall of the root partition and it should work just fine.  Keep up the good work guys

No, it doesn't matter the /home folder is separate.  Your old /home folder contains .configuration files for Peppermint 8.  That's based on the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS source code.  Peppermint 9 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS source code.  What you're proposing to do will cause conflicts and you will end up with a broken installation  :'(.  You need to do a full, clean installation  ;)

Edit: I see Slim.Fatz beat me to it :)).  Speaking of Slim.Fatz.  To make future installations really simple and painless.  You should consider creating a user defined /DATA partition.  This simple and very effective modification, will make upgrading to a new distro release ridiculously simple.  You won't have to worry about configuration file conflicts.  You can even do some sneaky distro hopping without losing any data, or breaking your system  ;).  What's more, you can dual boot either with another Linux distro(s) and/or Windows and share folders and files - powerful stuff eh  8)!   

Back to Slim.Fatz.  He's written an excellent step by step tutorial, on how to create a /DATA partition and connect it by using symlinks.  You can find the tutorial by following this link: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  I highly recommend doing this.  It's a splendid novice project and it's incredibly useful  ;).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:40:26 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.