Choose style:

Author Topic: I canít seem to change the desktop wall paper ( SOLVED )  (Read 691 times)

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Well I was sailing along and enjoying the experience that is Peppermint , I had a recent hiccup ( uGet app not starting ) and that problem was solved by you wonderful guys , now today I seem to have another issue .

When I right click the desktop and select Ö. change background wallpaper

the list of available wallpapers comes on screen, then I left click the new wallpaper I want , then left click Ö. apply .

Nothing happens , the wallpaper selection window just stays there .

So currently I canít seem to change the desktop wall paper  :(

Any help most welcome

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:06:40 am by williamthe1st »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: I canít seem to change the desktop wall paper
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:55 am »
Does running :
Code: [Select]
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers/PeppermintCold.jpg"
or:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers/Peppermint.jpg"
result in thhe wallpaper changing, or an error message ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:29:44 am »
Does running :
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers/PeppermintCold.jpg"
or:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers/Peppermint.jpg"
result in thhe wallpaper changing, or an error message ?

This is what I get back.....

(process:6682): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code17: Cannot open dconf database: invalid gvdb header

And the problem is still there . :(

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:50:33 am »
Try the same as you did with the uget folder i.e. go to .config but this time rename dconf folder to dconf_old.
......to infinity and beyond..............

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:06:00 am »
Try the same as you did with the uget folder i.e. go to .config but this time rename dconf folder to dconf_old.

I'm not sure what that does , but it does work , so thanks again for the help  :)

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
Re: I canít seem to change the desktop wall paper ( SOLVED )
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:41 am »
It seems that somehow some of your config files have become corrupted.  It can be caused by a multitude of different things such as a blip in power such as a momentary brown out or perhaps a bad shutdown.

Renaming the config folders/files forces the software to create a new one because it can't find the one it was looking for.  Some of the suggested solutions I read were to delete the folder/file but it is always best to rename it then if it doesn't work, you can restore the original by changing the name back to what it was and try a different solution.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:59:24 am by TonyBronze »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:42:50 pm »
As Tony says, you seem to have some home folder (and possibly elsewhere) corruption.

Might be a good idea to run a file system check, and check the drives SMART sataus.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:47 am »
It seems that somehow some of your config files have become corrupted.  It can be caused by a multitude of different things such as a blip in power such as a momentary brown out or perhaps a bad shutdown.

Renaming the config folders/files forces the software to create a new one because it can't find the one it was looking for.  Some of the suggested solutions I read were to delete the folder/file but it is always best to rename it then if it doesn't work, you can restore the original by changing the name back to what it was and try a different solution.

One of the down sides about living at my remote rural location is the constant power outages / unstable voltages / power fluctuations / thunderstorm  / lightening . I only have old laptops but these have to be connected to the power outlet to keep them charged , and I think  these conditions some times cause problems with running the laptops / peppermint .  I have made a clone backup external HDD of my current peppermint OS , as I'm expecting a disaster at some future date . Currently I have my laptops connected to a power surge protector / mains voltage filter unit , but still some how when the mains house voltage has a problem , it still seems to some how effect some part of the peppermint OS , hence my recent problems.

For me the simple answer seems to be having a cloned external HDD . I wish I knew a better solution  >:(

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:10 am »
As Tony says, you seem to have some home folder (and possibly elsewhere) corruption.

Might be a good idea to run a file system check, and check the drives SMART sataus.

Sorry , how would I go about doing your suggestion ?

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

Sorry , how would I go about doing your suggestion ?

Hello again,

We'll do the easy one first, the drive SMART status.

Go to the menu, Accessories and click on Disks

When Disks opens make sure your hard drive is selected in the left side column then click on the 3 dots at the top right and select SMART data and self test.  If there are any major problems they will be highlighted in red.  The main item you need to look at is the Reallocated  Sector Count.  Ideally it should be zero.  1 or 2 is nothing to worry about but if it is higher it may be a sign that the hard drive is beginning to fail.

For the system check, when you boot, hold down the shift key and it should take you to the grub menu. (If it takes you to the normal log in, shut down and try again).

From the Grub menu select Advanced Options for Peppermint 8......

From the next menu select the option that includes (recovery mode)

It should now boot to the recovery menu

Using the down arrow on the keyboard, select fsck Check all file systems and press return.

Next screen about continuing will mount....etc, select yes and then press return

When it has finished, press return and it will take you back to the recovery menu.

You can select resume but using this option doesn't always load graphic drivers (a warning will pop up, just press return to continue).  If it doesn't load the graphic drivers, reboot again.

Hope that is not too confusing.  If you have any problems let us know.