Choose style:

Author Topic: Lenovo 11e think pad yoga 128gb ssd. How to install?  (Read 264 times)

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Lenovo 11e think pad yoga 128gb ssd. How to install?
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »
Thank you guys!
My question (https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7000.0.html) was answered in just a couple of hours and now I am enjoying my new dell inspiron with peppermint 8 installed in it!
Everything works just perfect. I have had always problems using the samba service with other distros, and now for the first time by using peppermint, immediately I transfered files to my android device over the same network.
"Ice" app is amazing too. Instead of keeping bookmarks of my favorites I  use them like independed apps, by removing the site's cluster and without ads.
The same goes for the software manager which IS NO MORE buggy. And the list goes on...

And now the question:
One friend of mine asked for my help :o for the install on his lenovo 11e, again, of peppermint 8 OS.
 I really could use some help. Is it easy?

Do I need to deactivate from the Bios menu services like secure boot or legasy rom and enable as well the Firmware TPM? These are some of the advices that I have found by searching a bit on Google.

Please, again, I would appreciate any help and thank you for your instant support.

P.S I forgot to mention his laptop has windows 10 installed  -which wants to WIPE OUT from his system- and the type of the disk is SSD.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:34:12 pm by noob_linux »

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit)
Re: Lenovo 11e think pad yoga 128gb ssd. How to install?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:17:03 pm »
Thank you guys!

And now the question:
One friend of mine asked for my help :o for the install on his lenovo 11e, again, of peppermint 8 OS.
 I really could use some help. Is it easy?

Do I need to deactivate from the Bios menu services like secure boot or legasy rom and enable as well the Firmware TPM? These are some of the advices that I have found by searching a bit on Google.

Please, again, I would appreciate any help and thank you for your instant support.

P.S I forgot to mention his laptop has windows 10 installed  -which wants to WIPE OUT from his system- and the type of the disk is SSD.
Cheers!

Hello again noob_linux, and once again I will mention that Fast Startup will have to be disabled in Windows and yes Secure Boot should be disabled and Legacy mode enabled. I don't know about TPM but if after making those changes if you still can't boot into the USB memory, then you'll need to get back into google and find some answers. Good luck

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
Thank you very much for answering me, despite the fact that Google is disagreeing with you about the legasy rom option:

-Using Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
-Dell Inspiron 14 3452 (Intel Celeron N3050, 4GB DDR3L, 32GB eMMC Flash Storage, UEFI)
--In order for the system to recognized the installed OS, you must ensure the system is using UEFI boot mode as well as enabling Firmware TPM BEFORE installation. Secure boot MUST be off for installation and after installation. Legacy Option ROM should be disabled. After install, the system will recognize the OS and boot properly after the TPM check which will only occur at the very first bootup and never occur again.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2351579

"I don't know about TPM but if after making those changes if you still can't boot into the USB memory, then you'll need to get back into google and find some answers.   :-\

Is there by any chance someone who might know better the procedure of installing peppermint Os into a lenovo 11e thinkpad (windows pre-installed)?
Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:55:18 pm by noob_linux »

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »
It seems that when someone installs peppermint on a laptop  equipped with an HDD it has no problems. But when it comes to SSD's things are getting complicated?
Looking all over Internet I can not find a clear answer about how the installation is achieved in a laptop with Windows pre installed and in UEFI mode. Is because peppermint and Ubuntu on that matter are still a little bit unstable?
Even at the official site of peppermint there aren't clear instructions about how to install this beautiful Os to laptops with different types of hardware, though I believe that peppermint in one of the lightest and convinient distros ever.
If someone is capable and knows the procedure let's hope, that it will post a short guide about how to install to Hdd's, ssd's and emmc cards. Because things aren't clear for everyone :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:58:26 pm by noob_linux »

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:24:04 pm »
What happens if you just try to install, wiping everything that's on there? You don't have much to lose if you're intending to wipe Windows anyway. If you find a specific problem we can probably help you with it.

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:34:43 pm »
Thank you murraymint.
So a bad install it won't break the system and everything  can be fixed?
That's very comforting. So I 'll give it a shot this weekend.
The recommended configuration I believe is:
 Disable Fast Startup (windows)
DIsable Secure boot
Perhaps enable legasy rom.
I 'll give it a go and I let you know!

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 05:05:15 pm »
I'm not giving any guarantees that your machine is unbrickable, but I have seen people around the web who say they're running Linux on it so I think it'll be fine.

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »
i'm sure there are plenty of Pepperminters that have installed onto an ssd. Maybe you might want to wait for one of them to comment on this. You could also check out the tutorial sections, I believe cavy did a tutorial about ssd's and partitioning.

Online alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »
Okay, since this is UEFI, you should only have to disable Fast Startup in Windows, boot up the Peppermint USB memory in UEFI mode and proceed with installation. So you shouldn't have to mess with any bios settings unless you can't boot up the USB memory.

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 02:08:05 pm »
Ok, I found cavvy's guide which luckily is quite detailed.
I will follow exact the steps of the installation that he proposes +partioning the disc, as I would like also to have a separate home folder for when I want to upgrade to Pepper' 9.
My only question is, that he do not mentions anywhere in his guide to disable Fast startup of Windows.
So...Should I turn it off? It is a necessity?
I would appreciate once more your valuable help. Thank you :-\

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »
Fast Startup should be disabled. You do that on Windows itself, see here "how to" https://m.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:13:04 pm »
So...I 've tried to install but so far..no good.
When I choose to try peppermint I see the desktop but everything freezes. I can not move the mouse cursor and the wifi connections are dead.
So? Any suggestions?

Offline Fritz74

• m, 44, Vienna
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »
As regards disabling fast startup from within Windows 10, I had the same problem with my new ThinkPad e470 yesterday and found the following answer helpful:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-unable-to-boot-from-USB/td-p/3671418
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:29:50 pm by Fritz74 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 04:29:47 pm »
So...I 've tried to install but so far..no good.
When I choose to try peppermint I see the desktop but everything freezes. I can not move the mouse cursor and the wifi connections are dead.
So? Any suggestions?

try the "noapic" kernel boot parameter.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline noob_linux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 11:24:30 am »
As soon as I choose the "try peppermint" option, immediately  when the desktop appears, it freezes leaving me with no choice to open a terminal and edit the grub config.
I am really stuck.
Of course I have disabled Fast startup option from within the Windows menu.
Any idea? :'(