Choose style:

Author Topic: How to create a WiFi bridge, using Intel NUC?  (Read 307 times)

Offline regulus

• nOOb
  • Intel NUC i7
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
How to create a WiFi bridge, using Intel NUC?
« on: June 09, 2018, 05:09:48 am »
I have Intel NUC (7i7DNHE, to be precise, but I guess in this situation the model is not important), running Peppermint OS 8 Respin-2 64-bit - 5-port Ethernet switch - some Ethernet devices nearby (macmini, NAS) which I need to connect to the existing LAN without dragging a wire to another room - Wired/WiFi router and some other wired/wireless devices in another room - need to create/configure a WiFi bridge to that LAN using both WiFi and Ethernet in NUC (WiFi in NUC connects to WiFi router, and Ethernet devices connect to Ethernet port in NUC via Ethernet switch, obtain IP addresses from the WiFi router etc).

In Preferences / Network Connections I can add Bridge, is this the way it can be done? ... please point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:02:57 am by regulus »
Intel NUC7i7DNHE (Dawson Canyon) | Peppermint 8 Respin-2 64-bit | VirtualBox 5.2.12 | VMware Workstation 14 Pro

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: How to create a WiFi bridge, using Intel NUC?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:25 am »
Only have a minute ...

I'll need to read your post another 10 or 15 times to figure out the wireless/wired network topography you're trying to create.  :)

On face value, my first thought is, you're basically doing what I'm doing with a modem/router, wireless repeater router, and wired/wireless bridge router. Thus, only one ethernet cable to string.

One question ... why do you want to add your Intel NUC to the mix? You said the situation is not important, but it seems like it unnecessarily complicates the situation.

If I'm reading it right, you could do the same (and more) with a modem and a couple of cheap, off-the-shelf routers.

Gotta run. BBL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:44:17 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline regulus

• nOOb
  • Intel NUC i7
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: How to create a WiFi bridge, using Intel NUC?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:39 pm »
Thank you, VinDSL, let me try to describe this small task a little better.

It is not any problem or issue, I can resolve this small matter in various ways - (1) keep using the long Ethernet cable, or (2) use old Apple Airport Express in bridge mode (right now I can't find it quickly, but it must be somewhere in the house), or (3) buy a new WAP and configure it as a bridge to cable modem/WiFi router in another room.

When I installed Peppermint on this NUC and configured WiFi, it connected on 5GHz band (the cable modem/WiFi router is dual band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz), and the file transfer speed on LAN via 5GHz WiFi appeared to be considerably better, compared to 2.4GHz, so I thought maybe I can ask this NUC to do a little more - to perform a bridge function for the nearby Ethernet devices, so I can connect them to the same LAN on 5GHz WiFi instead of the Ethernet cable.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:26:10 am by regulus »
Intel NUC7i7DNHE (Dawson Canyon) | Peppermint 8 Respin-2 64-bit | VirtualBox 5.2.12 | VMware Workstation 14 Pro