Choose style:

Author Topic: LIVEUSB & PERSISTENCE  (Read 696 times)

Offline Marc Fraser

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
LIVEUSB & PERSISTENCE
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:08:27 pm »
Hi !  I created a LIVE USB --- worked well ---- (with UNETBOOTIN, Peppermint 8) --- Now I want to save my settings (REGIONAL SETTINGS - keyboard + language) to my USB stick.  So I don't have to re-enter them everytime.  NOTE: I don't want to install Peppermint on the hard disk of my computer (Windows).   Thank you...... Marc F.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: LIVEUSB & PERSISTENCE
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:51:46 pm »
Hi Marc, and welcome to the forum :)

These 2 topics might be of interest to you

Peppermint 7 and 8 - Using RUFUS to create a LiveUSB in Windows
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4350.0.html

Manually adding Persistence to a Peppermint 8 LiveUSB made with Rufus
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6141.0.html

I'm also quite surprise Unetbootin worked for you, the last time I tried it, it didn't work with Peppermint which is why we generally suggest Rufus for Windows users.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:54:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
The problem with Unetbootin is that it has to be updated to support Linux releases. Since we're Ubuntu based, the version of Unetbootin has to be compatible with the version of Ubuntu that's used as a base. I sure hope Unetbootin is compatible with Ubuntu 16.04. ;)

I used Rufus recently to install Peppermint onto a computer with Windows, and it's really nice. Plus, I like that it supports writing in dd mode, which would work great on a computer I have that won't boot from FAT32 partitions. 8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:12:18 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:52 am »
Hi Marc welcome to the Nut House Peppermint Forum  ;D.  I'm also surprised you manage to create a  Peppermint LiveUSB with UNetBootinfrom Windows.  I've never have much luck with it.  Rufus on the other hand just works  ;)

Yeah, there are many people running Peppermint from a USB stick with persistence
 Peppermint's small footprint, makes it ideal for this type of deployment.  If you run into any difficulties, or need questions answered, please don't be shy.  Good luck and have fun  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Marc Fraser

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:22:07 pm »
Re-Hello -----  Thank you all for your answers -  Unbelievable, but I (I !!!)  succeeded in creating a live and Perspirant .. persistant Peppermint 8 USB to STICK !  SOLVED !  Thank you !   +

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:05 am »
You can also manually install from a Live USB to another operative USB using the wonderful GParted.  There are a couple of well-done YouTube videos demonstrating how to do this using older Peppermint versions:

Even better is to use external SSD using USB 3.1 connection.  Saves dual-booting and still runs very fast if using Peppermint!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:53:58 pm by DenW »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
You can also manually install from a Live USB to another operative USB using the wonderful GParted.  There are a couple of well-done YouTube videos demonstrating how to do this using older Peppermint versions:

Even better is to use external SSD using USB 3.1 connection.  Saves dual-booting and still runs very fast if using Peppermint!

Or just plug in a large enough blank usb stick and install directly into it, I've done that a few times, usually with a 32gb stick.
What was I thinking?