Choose style:

Author Topic: Extended, Logical & Primary partitions... vs GPT [SOLVED]  (Read 1561 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Extended, Logical & Primary partitions... vs GPT [SOLVED]
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
Due to an ID-10-T pebcak error...  I am starting the installation of all software on my Antec Aria rebuild this afternoon ... ... ... and am wondering why the peppermintOS LiveUSB options for Extended and Logical partitions are greyed out? Then a light turns on and I recollect that I was only ever able to create an extended partition from within Windows previously....

Is there a reason for this? or am I as usual committing another pebcak error?  :-\

No rush to answer me, as I'm headed out the door to meet up with a buddy who's wife of three months just left him.
personally, dunno why you guys bother

;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:17:15 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 9 installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Extended, Logical & Primary partitions...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:16:42 pm »
What partitions are on the drive already? Does it already have an extended partition? You can only have one extended partition per disk, but it can be as big as you need it and contain as many logical partitions as you want. So, if you already have an extended partition on the drive, you can't create another. However, you can expand the existing one to fit more logical partitions.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin x64
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:10:57 am »
Hi spence,

Is there are reason you are not using GPI GPT formatted disk as against an MBR.  That way you can have as many partitions as you like without worrying about extended partitions ?

Regards Zeb...

EDIT: Thanks pin   :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:06:44 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9Respin x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:19:12 am »
Hi zeb!

I guess you meant GPT?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:05:21 am »
You are only allowed 4 primary partitions (when using an msdos/MBR style partition table) .. an extended partition counts as a primary partition and you can only have one of those.

So you can have either

4 Primary partitions
or
3 Primary partitions and an Extended partition

the extended partition can contain as many Logical partitions as you like (within limits).

If you're already at those limits, the options will be greyed.

GPT partition tables (as already mentioned by Zeb) don't suffer these limits, indeed they don't have "primary", "extended", and "logical" partitions at all (that's not to say they don't have partitions, just that they don't have different **types** of partitions, extended partitions were hacked into the msdos style partition tables spec as a workaround for the 4 partition limit)  .. If you're already using a GPT partition table, that might also be a reason they're greyed, they simply don't apply under GPT.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:13:27 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 04:50:56 pm »
I was looking at a blank/empty/unpartitioned drive. because I ID-10-t-ically wiped the Antec's main drive...

I had never encountered GPT partitions until searching the forum yesterday for reason's why the LiveUSB cannot create an extended partition. Also didn't notice the LiveUSB offering an option to utilize GPT. Truth be told I dismissed it as an Apple proprietary offering. I despise all things Apple. I am very familiar with the 4 partition limit. And have always done fresh installs with one large extended, which allows me an infinite number of logical partitions. Hard drive space allowing... I had just recently began making full use of the logical partitions.

:-\

PEBCAK errors abound lately... seems last year's brain injuries continue to rear their ugly heads now and again
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 04:54:43 pm »
Was a relief to learn the 3 month wife wasn't leaving him... he's kicking her out... tired of being the Valet for her and her  20 something kids... none of which is interested in cleaning, cooking, unpacking nor washing their own dishes..

But Anyways... I thought I was following my memory of allowing MS to create the Extended Partition... thus Win10 is now installed here. I created a single partition for Win10 to utilize, which it split into 4... no problem... I'll just change the largest one to Extended... then resize it... Win 10 wouldn't allow that this morning. So I booted into the latest respin of peppermintOS and deleted the largest of the 4 partitions... but the Extended partition option is still greyed out in the LiveUSB's gParted menu... 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:11:44 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:02:32 pm »

I had never encountered GPT partitions until searching the forum yesterday for reason's why the LiveUSB cannot create an extended partition. Also didn't notice the LiveUSB offering an option to utilize GPT. Truth be told I dismissed it as an Apple proprietary offering.

Well the good news is, as far as I know, GPT is not an Apple offering.  You have to change the disk from MBR to GPT in something like gparted first.

Once done you are free of the 4 partition limit - or 3 and one extended  :D

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092
P9Respin x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:15:54 pm »

Well the good news is, as far as I know, GPT is not an Apple offering.  You have to change the disk from MBR to GPT in something like gparted first.

I see no GPT offering in the gParted on the latest respin's LiveUSB Zeb... is it perhaps lurking under another name?  :-\
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »
Hiya

I do believe it lurks under device - create partition table.  It defaults to MBR use drop down and change to GPT. I am not in Linux right now so can't triple check.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 05:28:59 pm »
I do believe it lurks under device - create partition table.  It defaults to MBR use drop down and change to GPT. I am not in Linux right now so can't triple check.

no need to check, your memory is perfect... thanks... had never proceeded that way previously.   ;)

and see, ID-10-t was still working against me... as I have two mechanical drives in this machine as well... thus making the main NME drive GPT will allow me to make those drives visible once again.

::)

Perhaps this is one of those things The Universe was trying to tell me today... moving forward is all about letting go of old habits and old ways of doing things... sometimes, I'm just slow on the uptake...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:00:32 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Extended, Logical & Primary partitions... [reSOLVED]
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »
Back to square one, my motherobard/bios refuses to recognize the LiveUSB with the Win10 GPT install... a search around the internet reveals ASRock motherboards have some issues with it... So I'll be searching a we bit more before the Antec gets a fresh new install...

I know I'm misreading/misthinking something... But I think I'm  pooped... all done for today.  ::)

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 02:11:07 am »
Hiya

Have you tried entering the bios from the special windows shutdown screen.  Hold the shift key when click restart and navigate the menus to get to the screen that tells the machine to reboot into the UEFI settings.  Have you also turned off windows fast boot option in the power settings of the old style control panel.  You also need to turn off secure boot too in the bios.

The above maybe of assistance and you may already have known about the above and tried all these. My apologies if you did.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:45:00 am »
So you've changed to a GPT partition table. and then installed Windows .. which both went fine.

But now your system won't recognise a LiveUSB stick ?

That (to me) makes no sense .. the HDD/SSD hasn't even  been initialised when you choose the boot device, so it must be the UEFI BIOS is being skipped as part of the boot sequence.

Have you tried disabling Windows "Fast Startup" which seems to allow it to skip half the UEFI sequence on some sysstems .. making it impossible to access the UEFI BIOS (or boot anything else)

You can find instructions to disable Windows "Fast Startup" on the web, here's one I found earlier:-
Go to 'Control Panel -> 'Power Options' -> from the left hand column select 'What the Power Buttons Do' -> at the top of the page select 'Change Settings that are currently unavailable' -> scroll all of the way to the bottom and uncheck 'Turn on Fast Startup (Recommended)'. Then click 'Save Changes'.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 10:13:04 am »
Hiya

Have you tried entering the bios from the special windows shutdown screen.  Hold the shift key when click restart and navigate the menus to get to the screen that tells the machine to reboot into the UEFI settings.  Have you also turned off windows fast boot option in the power settings of the old style control panel.  You also need to turn off secure boot too in the bios.

The above maybe of assistance and you may already have known about the above and tried all these. My apologies if you did.

Apologias necessitas nada Zeb... It's good to remind this old coot to read his Motherboard's bios and ponder it's settings. I am wading thru the ASRock forums too. Seems to be more than a few others with similar issues. I have never enabled "Secure Boot" as it seems to be the motherboard's default to give MS the only access to installation mode. While disabling "Legacy Boot" means the boot process can't see the LiveUSB's for Peppermint nor for Win10. It has always had UEFI boot enabled... so I am still learning as usual.

::)

many thanks for your reminders, all appreciated. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:32:19 am by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild