Author Topic: Peppermint 8 installation and grub rescue?!!! [SOLVED]  (Read 3803 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 8 installation and grub rescue?!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 04:42:46 pm »
See this posting
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4350.0.html
on how to use Rufus in Windows to burn the Peppermint 8 ISO file to a USB stick
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
It worked!! Thanks!! woo-hoo!!!!! I've been working on this thing for 3 weeks!! Yay!
Thanks-Pix
I run  Peppermint 8 on a Dell D830 cut me some slack lol I can't afford better than an antique at the moment...lol! It runs and has for longer than any other I've had

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 12:33:47 am »
Great stuff!
Enjoy  ;)

Would you mind marking the topic Solved by editing the title on your first post and appending (Solved) to it?
Thx!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 12:55:00 am »
Outstanding - well done  8)!  If you have any further issues or questions, don't hesitate in letting us know about it.  You know there's always someone here willing to help  ;).

For future reference, could you please remember to mark the topic as [SOLVED] in the subject line of the original post.  I've done this for you this time.  Many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 01:06:05 am »
Great stuff!
Enjoy  ;)

Would you mind marking the topic Solved by editing the title on your first post and appending (Solved) to it?
Thx!

Sorry pin, I missed your post with the [SOLVED] request  :-[.

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 8 installation and grub rescue?!!! [SOLVED]
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:25 am »
No worries!  :D

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 01:10:22 am »
 :) :D ;D :P so happy!!!! and replying from the new haha and improved Dell D830 I knew there was still some life left in game land on this old thing!!!!!!! 
Thanks-Pix
I run  Peppermint 8 on a Dell D830 cut me some slack lol I can't afford better than an antique at the moment...lol! It runs and has for longer than any other I've had

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 01:42:50 am »
:) :D ;D :P so happy!!!! and replying from the new haha and improved Dell D830 I knew there was still some life left in game land on this old thing!!!!!!!

Peppermint "Rocks"  ;)!!

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 02:17:08 am »
Yes, and so do you guys!!!!! This isn't the first time and I'm almost sure it won't be the last....but no other users on my computer ever!!!!!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 07:46:38 am »
It worked!! Thanks!! woo-hoo!!!!! I've been working on this thing for 3 weeks!! Yay!

Congratulations! … isn't it a splendid feeling of accomplishment to fix a problem? and even better to bring new life to a trusty old machine? Ever so glad you were able to follow along.

Happy Pepperminting!

spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2018, 11:55:40 am »
 8) Yes! So glad I stuck with Peppermint! It's so much faster on this old thing! And I have 2 back ups....one on usb stick one on cdrom. Not going through this again! And thanks again guys!!! I could NOT have done it without you that is for sure! My bluetooth headset did not work on 7 but it does on 8 on this old thing!!! It's a new toy and it works but the wifi doesn't so I have to stay hardwired but that was a problem the last time on 7 also but when I walk to the bathroom now my computer shuts down so I'm guessing I don't have the "distance" set right 40 so the length of the house was underestimated at least from my "gamer's station"-"office"to the back of the house. I still have little tweaks...like on my vlc media player and a few others but for the most part it's running great!! Again....spence....pin...all of you thanks so much!!! This experience just gained Peppermint 8 4 new clients they're bringing their laptops here for me to do the work on but I made them all get usb sticks that were ready already I'm not going through all that again either so that's 5 Peppermint 8s to install now in the next 3 days....should be fun!  :-* Thanks again all of you!!! you made this so much easier on me!!!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:52 pm »
From my side, you are more than welcome.
Keep up the passion there!
Just curious here, and probably an issue for another topic, but you said... wifi not working?!
What's the output of
Code: [Select]
lspci?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47:39 am »
8) Yes! So glad I stuck with Peppermint! It's so much faster on this old thing! And I have 2 back ups....one on usb stick one on cdrom. Not going through this again! And thanks again guys!!! I could NOT have done it without you that is for sure! My bluetooth headset did not work on 7 but it does on 8 on this old thing!!! It's a new toy and it works but the wifi doesn't so I have to stay hardwired but that was a problem the last time on 7 also but when I walk to the bathroom now my computer shuts down so I'm guessing I don't have the "distance" set right 40 so the length of the house was underestimated at least from my "gamer's station"-"office"to the back of the house. I still have little tweaks...like on my vlc media player and a few others but for the most part it's running great!! Again....spence....pin...all of you thanks so much!!! This experience just gained Peppermint 8 4 new clients they're bringing their laptops here for me to do the work on but I made them all get usb sticks that were ready already I'm not going through all that again either so that's 5 Peppermint 8s to install now in the next 3 days....should be fun!  :-* Thanks again all of you!!! you made this so much easier on me!!!!

Glad you finally got it straightened out. Peppermint has it's own USB Stick Formatter and USB Image Writer. Your friends can bring you a blank usb stick and you can create the bootable stick from your computer. In fact, with the usb stick mounted, you can right click on the Peppermint 8 Iso file, assuming you have downloaded one to your computer, and click on make bootable usb stick, doesn't get much easier than that.
What was I thinking?