Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint's niche in the Linux world  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
Peppermint's niche in the Linux world
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »
I am curious about your thoughts about this! I recently had a conversation with a guy who asked about good Linux systems for beginners. Somebody mentioned Peppermint and said it was somehow similar to Google's Chrome OS with an emphasis on Web apps and Site Specific Browsers. It seemed like a rather exotic thing to him, so he did not seriously consider Peppermint. This opinion may be based on the image that is communicated on Peppermint's own website.

To me, Peppermint is a stable and fast system with an Ubuntu base. It is not cluttered . It has a great support forum. That's why I'm using it.
SSBs have zero influence on this, as they are available on many other distros too and you can't always rely on internet access. It is rather: I want something stable that just works and has a familiar desktop. I have been using Mint and Debian stable for the same reason.  Mint probably runs on more hardware and has a much larger user base. It is like a comfortable family car. Peppermint is somewhere between a family car and a sports car. Sometimes you need to tinker to make the system do what you want.  But it is faster and lighter.

Maybe a lot more people would use Peppermint, if it would be presented as a stable and uncluttered system  with access to all Ubuntu packages, basically a lighter and faster version of Linux Mint. Or maybe the creators of Peppermint want it to be in its own niche without masses of people using it?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint's niche in the Linux world
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:06 pm »
Erm we've been trying to project JUST THAT for some time now.

This opinion may be based on the image that is communicated on Peppermint's own website.

Where on the Peppermint website do you see anything that suggests we're a "cloud distro" ? .. it hasn't been there for a few releases now, but we still don't seem able to shake that popular perception.
(along with "Peppermint is for older hardware", which is another popular perception that's a bit misleading .. even though it **can** be)

Maybe read this:
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/an-interview-with-peppermint-ceo-mark-greaves
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:10:59 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:30 pm »
It is still on the homepage:

I read the interview. I did not realize that you were trying to get rid of the cloud centric label for some years. Sorry for being one of those guys who bring it up again. ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:16:28 pm by Fritz74 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:21:35 pm »
Yeah but that is just one slide in isolation, and it doesn't in any way suggest Peppermint is cloud ONLY ???

You can find ICE in the Arch AUR, but nobody suggests Arch is a "cloud distro"

Are we not supposed to mention ICE at all ? .. in fact I'd suggest the wording of that slide quite clearly suggests ICE just an "Application" that offers users an **OPTION** to put web apps alongside local apps as equals.
(and the rest of the slides back that up)

I'd suggest only people who read the old site (and marketing blurb) are still projecting their pre-formed (and ill-informed) opinions on us .. that sadly we can't change :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:31:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »
That's probably how the human brain works: When confronted with new things, it looks for something familiar.

So, I guess it would be better to present the main benefits (the ones you mentioned in the interview) on the home page and don't mention ICE at all, except somewhere in the FAQs. Or use it as a common wrong opinion to start a conversation.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:50:06 pm »
Can't do that, ICE is a major differentiator for Peppermint.

I guess it might be worth saying "don't think of Peppermint as a cloud only distro, because..." or something though
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:52:23 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:08 pm »
Yes, that sounds good and like something a superficial passer-by would grasp. :)

Offline JoeSh

• Peppermint does the trick
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7 (32bit) 10 (64bit)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 05:15:49 pm »
I think ICE is a big standout. If it was only shown in FAQ's hardly anyone would see it to be honest. I am not a longterm Linux user and it definitiley didn't come across to me that Peppermint was just a cloud based operating sysyem, just the fact that  - "We give you the groundwork and you build onto it."

I hear where you're coming from Fritz74 but surely people are willing to give something other than the norm a shot?

Anyway, lets spread the Peppermint love   :)

The PoorGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:13:41 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:10:22 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:13:33 pm »
What TPG said :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:39:42 am »
My basic thought was probably the same: This is really good, so why are not more people using it?

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 01:04:28 pm »
Peppermint is light weight (meaning fast), cloud compatible and rock solid (stable).

It's difficult to put it into only 1 category.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

The PoorGuy

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 05:33:36 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:09:52 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 08:18:50 am »
ha ha ha ha.....personally I thought you guys were a light version of MINT.......lol
I know i know......simple assumption.... I thought that cuz you use the same Updater..... :P

But after I took to it I realized you guys take the best of other solutions  and bring them together to  provide a unique experience.
Not to mention the fact that nothing really is installed, and most things just work.

The bonus is you create your own solutions when they don't exist "ICE" as one example of that.

But yeah I thought you were a light version of Mint and that ICE was not useful.

And look at me now, the ONLY distro on my network and ICE is a blessing from the red and white sun in the minty sky LOL  8)

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 12:05:01 am »
To me, Ice just make peppermint cool. I love how it makes websites look like apps. Now, one can argue that if you have no internet connection you have no apps. True, but my internet provider has always been pretty reliable where I live.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk