Choose style:

Author Topic: HP ENVY 4520 PRINTING ISSUES  (Read 1281 times)

Offline jdoll71

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
HP ENVY 4520 PRINTING ISSUES
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:13:40 am »
Good Morning,
Please bear with me, as I am new to the Linux community.
I have recently had Peppermint 7 installed on my Sony Viao laptop.
Love it! However, I have my HP Envy 4520 All in one printer installed and I have yet to get it to print for me.
It lights up, (as of its going to print) computer asks me if the printer printed the test page, and yet nothing prints!
Used the trouble shooter, gives me this possible problem error:

RETRIEVE JOURNAL ENTRIES:
No system journal entries were found, this may be because you are not an administrator. To fetch please run this command:
su -c 'journalctl -u cups.service --since="None" --until="2018-06-03 10:06:31"' > troubleshoot-logs.txt

I run the command, enter my password and get this:

su: Authentication failure
jennifer@jennifer-VGN-FW139E ~ $

It's been months now and I really need my scanner to scan some important pics.
Can anyone help me??? ::)

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
Re: HP ENVY 4520 PRINTING ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:35:33 am »
I've never used that printer, or indeed any all-in-one.....but you may be in luck.  I've had a quick look around.

---------------------------------------------------Note-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot guarantee the safety or security of that site, or package. I don't know it....but it seems legit to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support for that printer was added in "HPLIP version 3.15.11".

So, you can go here (get the latest version), and download the ubuntu script/program. If you install it as per here then it may very well work. Peppermint 8 is based on ubuntu 16.04 (as is 7, it seems).  Very often everything designed to work on 16.04 will work on this version of peppermint.

I can't promise it, but you can try if you feel comfortable with it.  I would.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:40:33 am by tetricky »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:50:13 pm »
Hi jdoll71, how’s it going?  Welcome to the Peppermint Forum  ;). You need to install hplip from the repository.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, it's always a good idea to highlight the commands and Copy & Paste them into the terminal window.  These functions can be found by clicking the right mouse button.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install hplip hplip-gui
Hit enter.  Enter your user password when asked and hit enter.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

You can find the, HPLIP Toolbox by navigating to: menu > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.  Make sure your printer/scanner is connected to your computer and turned on.  You will be able to configure your printer/scanner from here.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).

Further reading: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:57:35 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Spelling »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:29:27 pm »
I've never used that printer, or indeed any all-in-one.....but you may be in luck.  I've had a quick look around.

---------------------------------------------------Note-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot guarantee the safety or security of that site, or package. I don't know it....but it seems legit to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support for that printer was added in "HPLIP version 3.15.11".

So, you can go here (get the latest version), and download the ubuntu script/program. If you install it as per here then it may very well work. Peppermint 8 is based on ubuntu 16.04 (as is 7, it seems).  Very often everything designed to work on 16.04 will work on this version of peppermint.

I can't promise it, but you can try if you feel comfortable with it.  I would.

The default repos already contain hplip 3.16 so not only shouldn't this be necessary, but I'd seriously advise against it (unless you're happy manually solving dependency issues) .. the script will likely advise you you're running an unsupported distro anyway, whilst this can easily be worked around by a simple edit to lsb-release installing hplip from the HP website (as the script probably does) I've found to be fraught with dependency issues .. and as it's not necessary in the first place.....

My first stop would be to try Andy's solution of installing hplip-gui and using that to configure your printer .. it nearly always works (as long as your printer is supported by the hplip version in the repos), and is pretty simple.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:38:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 02:00:54 pm »
Good plan.  With it being proprietary/unsupported, I didn't know it was in the repos. Repos and distro supported is clearly better.

Offline jdoll71

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:33:23 pm »
 :) :) :) :) :)
Guys, thank you so very much! Andy's option worked flawlessly!!
I am up and running!!!

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:11:04 am »
Hi jdoll71, welcome to Peppermint. You will find that almost all problems are as easily fixed as this was. I would recommend that you install Timeshift and take an occasional snapshot of your system in case it ever gets borked for whatever reason.
Also, you might want to check out the tutorial sections here to see the different options that are easily realised, like making and using a Data partition. In the meantime, could you please modify the first post of this thread with SOLVED so anyone with a similar problem can find a solution? That would be appreciated.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Glad your printer works now.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 10:53:54 am »
I was having similar problems with getting my own printer (an HP LaserJet Pro M102w) working on my computer.
I was getting pretty miffed because I had no problems with my printer under Peppermint 8.

Turned out I was following HP's exact instructions for installing the drivers...   ???

I downloaded the latest driver installer (hplip-3.18.6.run).  Then their instructions said do this when got my folders ready:
$ sh hplip-3.18.6.run
I got messages that Peppermint 9 wasn't supported, wouldn't recognize my root password and other fun stuff.
Basically, the installer was just not working at all as it did when I had Peppermint 8.
 :-[

Then the little light bulb went on and I did this:
$ sudo sh hplip-3.18.6.run

Then everything worked just fine after that.   ::)

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone else had problems following HP's instructions to the letter as did I...

Oh, yes, if anyone else out there is having this problem is having its almost-obvious solution:  have an espresso with a few drops of lemon juice in it (yum-yum) before tackling this job!! 
 :D

I'll also email HP and let them know that their instructions for Linux users ought to include sudo for their terminal instructions.
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:12:01 am »
Depends which distro it's installed on. Some Linux instructions assume you're already running as root.

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 11:36:30 am »
Good point.

But the main thing is my printer is working and more useful than a rather expensive paperweight.

And that is a good thing!
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!