Choose style:

Author Topic: What is your % of Linux?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
What is your % of Linux?
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:29 am »
Forum,
In my day job I support Windows cough...cough 10, and  as a .NET dev it's almost  a given fact of life.
But it pays the bills right  ;) and C# is fun to work with :D

But, aside from that in my personal home life, I am 100% Linux..... specifically Peppermint.
Kids, wife, Home file server, everything except the kitchen sink is Linux  8)
There is not one thing with Windows in our home (not for hate but because I like the open source ideas/concept and  enjoy being a part of the community)..
I even do personal .NET stuff using MONO, and Appache running on Debian.

My kids prefer Linux over Windows (cause it's slow).
LOL they even prefer Peppermint over  any other distro...

In fact here in Japan because my kids use Peppermint for their projects its been a great way to introduce it to the local school.

Any way that got me thinking how many of you all are 100% Linux at home, by that I mean ....  no dual booting, no side machine, no VM nothing  with Windows... literally.

Would be a interesting poll question LOL :D

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What is your % of Linux?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:04 am »
Kind of the same here...
Windows 10 at work  :'(... It's not me making the choices  :-X

At home, my wife uses OSX. All the other boxes are Linux  :D
My daughter uses Bodhi Linux, I have Peppermint 7 on one laptop and Void Linux on another  ;)

Soon to change though,... as I'm waiting for another SSD! The plan for the third laptop?...
...NetBSD  ;D
I want to take that for a spin and see for myself how it behaves  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:22:40 am by pin »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 10:40:35 am »
Me -

Personal use = 100% Linux

Work = If I can get it done in Linux I will (simply because I now know my way around Linux better than I do Windows), but obviously I have to work on clients systems which are 99% Windows.

Missus -

Can't get her off Windows, too stuck in here ways no matter how much I tell/show her Fekbook works just as well under Linux she just won't budge.
(annoys the heck outa me, not because I'm bothered what she Fekbooks on, but because I'm the one that has to fix things when Windows decides to bork the system and hence Fekbook, or re-enable the touchpad after every update)

Son (the one still at home) -

When he uses a PC at all, he's comfortable with using all three OS's...

OS X (on a 27" iMac) for MOST of his music creation stuff (think Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.) and because it's all hooked up to his music keyboard, studio monitors, etc.

OS X on a Macbook for Uni coursework (MS Office and the like)

Windows for the couple of music apps he has for that (think FL Studio, etc.) .. he doesn't like Windows much, and out of the three is the least comfortable on it.

Linux for general stuff such as web browsing.

It's kinda cool that he's comfortable with all 3 and uses what he considers the best one for the job at hand .. and if he were a software dev I have no doubt Linux would be more prevalent in his life than OS X .. but at the end of the day it should be pointed out that they're all just tools to him (as is the hardware itself), he only uses ANY of them when he has a specific task in mind, like most youths you'll usually find him head down thumbing away on his iPhone.

[EDIT]

Other son -

He uses both OS X (he's a musician too), and Windows.

He has nothing against Linux and knows his way around it, he's happy to use it on my systems when he's around here .. but see's nothing 'in it' that he requires.

Again his PC's are simply tools for tasks, so unless Linux is better for a specific task he needs to do, there's no point in installing it .. head down, thumbing away and bumping into things/people on his Android phone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:52:46 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:17:09 pm »
I am peppermint all the way on my main PC.  My wife and son are windows 10. My wife did use peppermint on her Asus netbook and she had no issues using it. When I bought her a new Asus it just had to have windows. Like you, PCnetSpec, I have to fix it when things go wrong. Also, the kicker is, she feels safer on windows. Hey, what can you say to a wife that won't get you in the dog house?  Now my son will be on his laptop AND my PC at the same time. Can't get him to switch completely because he's a gamer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:23:10 pm »
I'm not really sure on percentages, sometimes I run Windows 10, sometimes I run Linux. My phone has iOS on it, so I kind of spread the love, I guess. ;) My current main computer has two drives in it, both 1TB HDDs, one has the Windows 10 install that came with it, the other has Peppermint on it. What I'm running right now is Peppermint because I'm just surfing the web. If I plan to play a game, it's got to be Windows, because Linux no longer has proprietary drivers for Radeon graphics cards, and that's what this computer has. I also have a few other Windows programs that I really like to run. But, most everything else can be ran in Linux. So, it depends what I plan to do as far as what I run.

I don't use the computers at work very often, but they have some old Windows business system on them.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:03:31 pm »
100% Linux for me too.  My main laptop is Peppermint and I have it installed on 3 more laptops.  I have  Xubuntu 18.04LTS on one older HP Elitebook.  My openELEC is running from a Raspberry Pi2.  The wife want me to install Peppermint on her Win10 laptop as a dual boot  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »
I was gonna ask if you wanted to swap wives Andy, but that carries unintentional overtones :-[
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »
101% Linux - desktop, mobile and servers.

-1% winders

I actually like the '10' UI, but beneath the surface it's just more of the same IMO.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:08:24 pm »
I was gonna ask if you wanted to swap wives Andy, but that carries unintentional overtones :-[

:))!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 08:48:43 pm »

Reminds me of those Sling TV commercials, where one couple asks another if they want to Sling together, and there's a slight misunderstanding. ;)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:08 am »
100% Linux at home and work, but it took some time to get there, especially at work where I have 2 workstations (office & workshop) 2 Windows applications which I absolutely need and couldn't find a Linux alternative for kept me on Windows for a long time (Quickbooks & Autodata) and only recently got them both running in WINE, the sense of freedom when I finally wipe Windows from these PC's was phenomenal,

At home I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops running Linux an HP running Peppermint and an old Dell D600 running Bodhi, I also have two NAS servers running Openmediavault one at home and one at the office

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:14:47 am »
100% Linux for me on all computers I own. Even my wife only uses Linux. It has been this way for more than ten years now, and if anyone with a strange OS (such as M$) product needs help, I tell them that I don't know enough about M$ products to help them. They usually look at me as if I had just answered in chinese or something completely strange to them. But that's the way it is: I'm not going to risk their data with my knowledge of M$ programs rapidly approaching zero.  ;) I do offer to introduce them to what I use, but I do not try to push them that direction -- M$ seems to do that better than I.  :D

As for work: all my work-related things I perform on my own computers, therefore it is all Linux. Others at work use M$, but that is their problem. And (fortunately) there have been no problems with the files they send me or that I send to them.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
At this point I only have 1 laptop, dual booting Windows 10 and Peppermint 8.

I use Windows for Corel Draw, but found that www.canva.com is a nice way to do basic graphics through a browser instead.

Busy learning Open shot and Pitivi for video editing, instead of Microsoft Movie Maker (which is an old, but very reliable program).

Trying to spend as much time on Linux as possible. No matter what distro ls I try, I always keep coming back to Peppermint. Since the good old days of Peppermint Ice it has always been the best.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »
Openshot is an excellent program, though the Windows version is crap compared to the Linux version. So, it's a good thing you're a Linux user.

The PoorGuy

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
I still use Windows for Flight Simulator X Linux offers a Flight Simulator although it's not quite the same as Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

The Wife swears by Windows 7 and hates Windows 8 and hates Windows 10 although now wants an Apple iMac BLAH.   ???  :-\

I use Linux Computers for whatever I need to do and Linux works for what I need to do.  :)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:02:05 pm by The PoorGuy »