Choose style:

Author Topic: How to remove/edit menu icons? [SOLVED]  (Read 945 times)

How to remove/edit menu icons? [SOLVED]
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »
I have a couple of apps that I don't want to be seen in the menu.

Just an example: Thunderbird Theme Lock I would like to remove from the menu without actually uninstalling it.

Is there a straightforward way to remove the icon from the menu without recourse to terminal commands, i.e., is there a folder I could simply delete the icon from? Or perhaps there is some hidden tool allowing me to customise the menu items and categories to my liking?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:25:16 pm by mac »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: How to remove/edit menu icons?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:18:34 pm »
As long as one terminal command isn't too much.  ;)

The easiest way would be to run this command in the terminal:

Code: [Select]
sudo xed /usr/share/applications/peppermint-thunderbird-themer.desktop

Enter your admin password when prompted.

You'll get a desktop entry file. Add this line to the bottom of the file:

NoDisplay=True

Save and exit. The program will still be installed but won't show in the menu. Of course, it's still accessible through the settings panel.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:50 am »
I am currently reading the 'The Linux Command Line' by Shotts, so it's not that I am too lazy to bother with the terminal - but as someone who has dabbled in the Linux world for only a few weeks, the terminal is still somewhat esoteric for me. It would be helpful if someone could outline a non-terminal approach. I did pull it off with another app that I wanted to remove from the menu some days ago, but have forgotten the procedure. Is there no Menu Editor like in XFCE? Or can such a menu editor be installed?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:24:44 pm by mac »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:58 am »
Use Alt + F2 to open Application Finder
Enter...
gksu nemo
Press Enter
Enter Password when prompted

Navigate to File System > usr > share > applications and locate the item you want to remove from the menu

Right click on the icon and choose "Open with" and then "text editor"
Add the line
NoDisplay=True

Save your changes and exit text editor and nemo

You're done
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:20 am »
No, there is no menu editor that works without totally borking your menu.  ;)

In Peppermint 9 there will be. But for now: doing as scifidude79 suggests is the easiest method. Other ways also exist, but involve more steps and are much more difficult to tell you how to do it via the forum postings.

A final alternative (and a useful habit to get into doing before asking here on the forum) is to use the forum's Search function to find one of these other methods since this question has been asked and answered many times before.

Regards,

-- Slim

-------------------------
Edit: corrected reference to be to scifidude79   :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:23:59 pm by mac »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:52:30 am »
Now, one problem with editing .desktop files in /usr/share/applications is that those are in the system folder. That's why you have to have admin access to change them. So, if you run updates, any programs that you alter will be reverted back to how they were before when you changed them. To fix this, you can open two File Manager windows. In one, go to /usr/share/applications. In the other, stay in your Home folder and right-click anywhere. Click on "Show Hidden Files" in the right-click menu. Go to the .local folder, then share and applications. Select anything you want to alter in /usr/share/applications, and copy and paste them into ~/.local/share/applications. Now, you can open them one by one in the Text Editor (no need for admin access in your Home folder) and edit them as mac and I suggested. Anything you put in there will override what is in /usr/share/applications, and even an update won't alter it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:55:12 am by scifidude79 »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:58:49 am »
@scifidude79
Good Point and well put.   ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:13:29 am »
As long as one terminal command isn't too much.  ;)

The easiest way would be to run this command in the terminal:

sudo xed /usr/share/applications/peppermint-thunderbird-themer.desktop

Enter your admin password when prompted.

You'll get a desktop entry file. Add this line to the bottom of the file:

NoDisplay=True

Save and exit. The program will still be installed but won't show in the menu. Of course, it's still accessible through the settings panel.

As you're already reading up about the terminal, here's your chance to put your new found knowledge to use  ;).  This one is really easy too  :).   First open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter (Copy & Paste) <-------- the big give away  ;D, the command scifidude79 provided into the terminal window.  Hit enter and enter your user password.  In the text editor that opens, (Copy & Paste) the line of text scifidude79 provided beneath the last line of text in the text editor.  Save (Ctrl+s) the file and quit, (Ctrl+q) the text editor - job done  ;)

You didn't even need to type anything other than your password  ;D.  I was like you too, a little hesitant to use the terminal.  I now know how powerful and how simple it makes life.  I use it for a good 90% of my system's administration.  The terminal is power and it's your friend  ;).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:22:14 am by AndyInMokum, Reason: Spelling »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: How to remove/edit menu icons? [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:07:38 am »
Hi & welcome to Peppermint. If you are afraid of borking your system, there are a couple of safeguards you can take in case you do screw things up. First I would recommend installing Timeshift and creating a snapshot of your system. It's like creating a restore point in Windows. The second would be to create a DATA partition which will allow you to reinstall Peppermint if it comes to that, without losing any of your personal files. When I first started with Peppermint, I had no idea of what a terminal was, but I learned. Now I have 7 different operating systems installed in my computer with all of them linked to my DATA partition. And I'll tell you, for getting help from a forum such as this one, Peppermint is the best. When PCNetSpec gets involved, you know it's getting serious. Have fun, go through the tutorials, there's a lot here and a bunch of cool guys ready to help.  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:22:44 pm by mac »
What was I thinking?