Choose style:

Author Topic: Help me please before i go nuts?!!!  (Read 855 times)

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
Help me please before i go nuts?!!!
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:44:31 pm »
 :'( I really need some help...I had an x that had created him a user profile without setting mine as administrator and without my permission and to say the least no files are where they are supposed to be only I didn't know this until after it started trying to get updates and I tried to install a new WiFi device and a MagicJack, now I can only access the grub menu and the black screen, and I can't figure out how to get me back as the only account on the laptop so I never have this problem again!!!! I was trying to see also if this old D830 could run either 8 or 9 so this stupid new WiFi box would be better suited with it?
Thanks-Pix
I run  Peppermint 8 on a Dell D830 cut me some slack lol I can't afford better than an antique at the moment...lol! It runs and has for longer than any other I've had

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Help me please before i go nuts?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:28:06 am »
There are still 2 users on the computer yes one account I can't delete yet plus mine but I can't get back in to change mine and delete the other off since there is no password but both accounts are no administrator with ALL admin permissions but when I went back in to change this the computer said I needed updates before I can get back in...NO restore points they're all gone as well.
Thanks-Pix
I run  Peppermint 8 on a Dell D830 cut me some slack lol I can't afford better than an antique at the moment...lol! It runs and has for longer than any other I've had

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:10 am »
What's the problem with doing the updates? It's not entirely clear from your posts.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:43:38 am by murraymint »

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:51 am »
I can't install the new WiFi nor can I update usr/lib/ubuntu/release upgrade-motd it seems my whole system is locked down?!! 2 accounts and no administrator account at all I've always ran mine with admin options and just signed in with my password when I needed to install but started having problems after administrator was taken off mine and both accounts running without administrator on one of the 2 accounts?!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:55:59 am »
I can access the black screen terminal and the gnu grub menu otherwise it just continues to try to find files that are there but not? I can't access them they're "locked"?!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:02:34 am »
Oh and it also sent me here with a link I had to get on the phone And ubunto's website but to no fixable solutions with ubunto's website so after days of research and reading I came back to where the help actually worked without fail and taught me more of what I needed to know lol!
Thanks-Pix

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13:12 am »
OK, choose recovery mode from the GRUB menu to get to a root prompt. Run this command to edit the group file:

Code: [Select]
nano /etc/group

Add these lines to the file:

admin:x:117:yourusername
adm:x:4:yourusername

Obviously with your exact user name. Press Ctrl+O to save the file and reboot to test. Good luck  :)

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:16:33 am »
Error message "cannot create /var/lib/ubuntu/update/ or /usr/lib/notifier
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:17:57 am »
Thanks!! I'll try and let you know!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 03:07:13 am »
Ok so it lets me edit but not save...and it won't let me write to same file...suggestions?....other than never never never let anyone else get on my computer?!!  ;D
Thanks-Pix

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 03:43:02 am »
(...) I've always ran mine with admin options and just signed in with my password when I needed to install (...)
Hi IrocZPixie,

Unfortuntely it is difficult to understand what you have be saying. Do you mean that you always were logged in as "administrator"? If so then all files that you created, downloaded, edited, etc. are "owned" by the administrator and perhaps even have the permissions set to only allow the administrator access to them. If this is the case and you no longer have access to the administrator account, then you have to perhaps try to make copies of valuable files. This, however, requires that you can at least "see" the files when in the terminal (as murraymint described). If you can make copies of the files (for example to a USB stick), then do so.

I suppose that you have some files (documents, photos, etc.) that you would like to save? If not, or if you have been able to make copies of them to a USB stick, then it might just be easiest to just reinstall PeppermintOS.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:12 am »
Okay let's create a new "administrator" account with admin privileges....

boot to recovery mode

choose "boot to a root shell"

hit enter

run:
mount -o remount,rw /
then
useradd -s /bin/bash -m administrator -G adm,dialout,fax,cdrom,floppy,tape,sudo,audio,dip,video,plugdev,netdev,fuse,lpadmin,scanner,sambashare
then
passwd administrator
enter a password for the new administrator account and hit enter.

enter the new password again when prompted.

then reboot with
reboot
when you get to the login screen there should be a new account called "administrator" .. log into that account using the password you set earlier .. that account should have administrative privileges and can be used to "fix" the system.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »
Hey Slim! It never said "administrator" on my account when it was the only account on here but when the oaf added his account he changed mine to regular his to admin made his changes and permissions then never switched mine back hoping this will help
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:05 pm »
Sent me back to black screen with. user/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/ release-upgrade-motd:blah blah
Https:help.ubunto..com
Which just sends me back to this website after I type in message in search box....lol no more oafs in my life is my solution apparently!!!! Ugh!!! I knew I missed being single for more than one reason!!!!!
Thanks-Pix

Offline IrocZPixie

• Not So New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »
I have pep 8 but if I can't get into 7 i can't exactly upgrade now can I?
Thanks-Pix