Choose style:

Author Topic: Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )  (Read 1193 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 01:05:59 pm »
As far as I'm aware there is currently ZERO evidence that running AV in Linux has ANY real world benefit.

If it's your position to denounce that as misinformation, please provide documented EVIDENCE that supports your position (preferably from someone without a vested interest in the AV industry).

But from your response, I can tell that ego is more important than facts, and that is a shame .

Ad Hominem attacks will get you nowhere here  .. what are these "facts" you speak of (evidence please) ?

never trust false bravado or take opinions as reliable fact from other end users.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more, do your homework .. but this is where we diverge:-

Always consult and expert, then get a second opinion from another expert.

AND THEN DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK .. DO NOT simply rely on self proclaimed 'experts' that by definition are likely to work in, and hence have a vested interest to promote, the subject matter at hand.

I repeat:-

my advice would be to read (and understand) these first:-

This first article by Rick Moen is a little old, and certainly long, but still stands and is the best explanation I've seen to date:
Rick's Rants (Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?)
This second article was originally on a different 'tech' site (can't remember the name), which has since closed (but is repeated here verbatim):
The short life and hard times of a Linux virus

You'll then be better placed to make an INFORMED decision of your own.
(and also better placed to ensure you manage your system in a way that negates the need for AV in the first place)

AV is not the answer and by its very nature (always playing catch-up) can never afford reliable protection in the first place (it may even make your system MORE vulnerable), knowledge and good system management is the answer.

@Googleberry

Please consider your next response carefully, I'm not in the mood for a drive by trolling .. if you have something constructive and evidence based to add, and at all times plan to remain respectful of others (possibly equally valid) positions we'd love to have you as a member of our friendly little community, but if you've turned up here just to opinion troll then disappear let's please consider the first part achieved and work on the second.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:44:35 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 02:23:16 am »
Mic Drop - B O O M ! ! !
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080