Choose style:

Author Topic: Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )  (Read 1194 times)

Offline arky217

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:24:12 pm »
Was wondering if I should install an antivirus app on Peppermint 8 ?

Comodo was the one I had in mind. On their download page, they want
you to choose your OS and the choices are Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Red Hat,
Fedora, CentOS, SUSE, OpenSUSE.

Would the Ubuntu choice or the Mint choice be most compatible with Peppermint 8 ?

Or is this an answer to a problem that doesn't exist ?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:38:39 pm by arky217 »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Antivirus for linux
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »
Bingo!  AV unnecessary except on servers  ;) 
More here: https://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg-explains-why-you-dont-need-an-antivirus-on-linux-and-when-you-do/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:45:39 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:40:14 pm »
Was wondering if I should install an antivirus app on Peppermint 8 ?...

...Or is this an answer to a problem that doesn't exist ?
One of the really big advantages of using a Linux based desktop system, is you don't need to use antivirus software.  In fact, it's probably better if you avoid running it  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:50:45 pm »
+1 .. IMHO any application that needs full privileged access to all your system files is actually an attack vector in its own right in Linux.

AV is not necessary for desktop Linux .. a server that serves files to Windows PC's may be a different matter, but then you're only running it to protect them.

Here's a couple of links that explain it well:-

This first article by Rick Moen is a little old, and certainly long, but still stands and is the best explanation I've seen to date:
Rick's Rants (Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?)
This second article was originally on a different 'tech' site (can't remember the name), which has since closed (but is repeated here verbatim):
The short life and hard times of a Linux virus
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:54:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline arky217

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Antivirus for linux ( SOLVED )
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies; just something I was wondering about.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 10:52:01 pm »
You're welcome, arky217.  Enjoy your Linux life AV free!   :)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:26:33 am »
No problem  :).  With this knowledge, you're Peppermint powered machine, just became a little bit more special  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Googleberry

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:49 pm »
Was wondering if I should install an antivirus app on Peppermint 8 ?

Comodo was the one I had in mind. On their download page, they want
you to choose your OS and the choices are Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Red Hat,
Fedora, CentOS, SUSE, OpenSUSE.

Would the Ubuntu choice or the Mint choice be most compatible with Peppermint 8 ?

Comodo is a great Enterprise AV, but like someone said it opens up new was to get infected and is only advisable to run with the full support of your companies IT department in support and managed by a server

Sorry for picking an old wound, but as a systems Engineer and a Cyber Security Professional I have to disagree with almost ever piece of advice given here. While Linux is fairly safe and very secure in comparison to the other alternatives out there, it is criminal to give a new user false hope by claiming the OS is impervious to Virus'.

"Linux malware includes viruses, Trojans, worms and other types of malware that affect the Linux operating system. Linux, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as very well-protected against, but not immune to, computer viruses"

Malware is always a danger, what Internet browser do you use? Just because you are running Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc, etc, on Linux. The browser is still susceptible to the same issues that infect it in windows or Mac. If you load Flash, or Java on your system you have opened up ways to run Malware.

So please take my warning, never trust false bravado or take opinions as reliable fact from other end users. Always consult and expert, then get a second opinion from another expert. Then chose the most cautious approach, never trust someone who tells you to throw caution to the wind.

So here it is, my educated opinion is to load ClamAV and to manually run it at least once a month or more often depending on the websites you go to. Always go through your browser extensions and plugins and make sure they are ones you loaded and activated. Remove all you don't recognized then run ClamAV after removal.

So in closing, Linux is an extremely powerful and secure OS, but it is not invincible. And just because a lot of people think it is, doesn't make it so. Clam is designed to work with the OS and doesn't need enhanced permission to work.

Chip

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 05:37:59 pm »
No problem with a manually run AV solution as long as it doesn't have a 'real time' daemon that requires elevated privileges.
(where it becomes an attack vector in its own right)

But my advice would be to read (and understand) these first:-

This first article by Rick Moen is a little old, and certainly long, but still stands and is the best explanation I've seen to date:
Rick's Rants (Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?)
This second article was originally on a different 'tech' site (can't remember the name), which has since closed (but is repeated here verbatim):
The short life and hard times of a Linux virus

You'll then be better placed to make an informed decision of your own.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:40:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 11:44:30 am »
Hi Googleberry,

Considering that the last post about this by the OP was some 16 months ago, as well as the excellent information provided by previous thread-posters back in 2018, I'm sorry but I think that we are flogging a dead horse by adding to this thread.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Googleberry

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »
Hi Googleberry,

Considering that the last post about this by the OP was some 16 months ago, as well as the excellent information provided by previous thread-posters back in 2018, I'm sorry but I think that we are flogging a dead horse by adding to this thread.  ::)

-- Slime

The reason I resurrected the post was the previous posts. They were far from excellent, they misinformed and were deceptive and gave new users false information. But from your response, I can tell that ego is more important than facts, and that is a shame .

The "Excellent" replies were misleading and were wrong. Linux does get virus' and Linux gets malware, but feel free to keep your head in the sand.

peace out.
Regards,

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 07:13:02 pm »
Im hoping i'm not waaay off base, but to the best of my knowledge, at present, there are no "virus's in the wild" attacking Linux Operating systems for HOME users but DO exist for enterprise versions such as servers etc that are used commercially for e-mail servers etc. hosting for other operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and Mac systems.

The virus's that effect those other OS's just don't effect Linux systems.

I am also aware as well that any real problems that DO exist, for the most part, are due to browsers that may not be as hardened as well as they could be, as well as routers that are not properly configured, as well as problems that can and do occur from home users themselves, (due to their own lack of knowledge), by downloading PPA's from dubious sources rather than relying on the Linux repositories, or KNOWN, GOOD, and TRUSTED PPA's.

Im not going to even mention all the false positives attributed to CLAM AV, That the unknowing click on to remove and "bork" their entire OS.

Thats my 2 cents worth for what it is worth.

The Omen

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/security.html#ID1.1
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:27:06 pm by The Omen »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 01:28:27 am »
Excellent reply, with good back up from Joe Collins and the Team over at Easy Linux

Echoing exactly what PCNetSpec had said earlier.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 03:34:30 am »
Hi Googleberry,

-- Slime

The reason I resurrected the post was the previous posts. They were far from excellent, they misinformed and were deceptive and gave new users false information. But from your response, I can tell that ego is more important than facts, and that is a shame .

The "Excellent" replies were misleading and were wrong. Linux does get virus' and Linux gets malware, but feel free to keep your head in the sand.
Hi Googleberry,

Sorry, but the burden of proof concerning the "misinformation", "deception" and "false information" is on you. Your blunt accusations are not evidence of "misinformation", "deception" or "false information".  ;)

Furthermore, as I had nothing to do with any of the original responses, the importance of my ego is totally irrelevant to this discussion.  ::)

No one stated that Linux does not or cannot get a virus. But, should it happen, what such a virus can then do is very much more limited than what can happen on a Windows OS. BTW, did you even read the articles in the last post by PCNetSpec ?? If so, what did you find in them that was misinforming, deceptive and false ??  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
Scanned once with ClamAV and Sophos. Nothing found, but I don't use a antivirus anyway, but was just curious.
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.