Choose style:

Author Topic: USB hard drive issue (SOLVED)  (Read 1775 times)

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
USB hard drive issue (SOLVED)
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:53 am »
Hi,

So, this morning I made a big noob mistake, and I hope to get some advice.  I was using USB Formatter to format a USB.  I mistakenly clicked on my usb hard drive and clicked ok (this happened before I had my first cup of coffee, so 2 mistakes :-[ ).  I immediately clicked cancel.  Of course, now  I can't access the drive.  I get the following error:

Sorry, could not display all the contents of "wwn-0x5000c50044649282-part1": Error when getting information for file '/mnt/wwn-0x5000c50044649282-part1/System Volume Information': Input/output error

So, my question is, what kind of damage did I do and can I still recover the data? The drive was my backup and where I keep most of my movies for my Plex server.  It's the movies I'm most concerned about.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:23:21 pm by stevesveryown »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: USB hard drive issue
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:28:07 am »
Hi,

So, this morning I made a big noob mistake, and I hope to get some advice.  I was using USB Formatter to format a USB.  I mistakenly clicked on my usb hard drive and clicked ok (this happened before I had my first cup of coffee, so 2 mistakes :-[ ).  I immediately clicked cancel.  Of course, now  I can't access the drive.  I get the following error:

Sorry, could not display all the contents of "wwn-0x5000c50044649282-part1": Error when getting information for file '/mnt/wwn-0x5000c50044649282-part1/System Volume Information': Input/output error

So, my question is, what kind of damage did I do and can I still recover the data? The drive was my backup and where I keep most of my movies for my Plex server.  It's the movies I'm most concerned about.  :'(

Ouch  :'(!  Yeah, it's probably as Mac has already said.  We've all done it at some point or another.  Unfortunately, it's almost a Rite of Passage.  For future reference, remove ALL unnecessary USB drives before attempting any formatting. 

Let double check anyway.  Plug in the offending drive and let it auto mount.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter, (Copy & Paste) the following command into the terminal window:
Code: [Select]
ls -a /media
Instead of me asking a bunch of questions, we'll use the terminal's auto-complete feature.  Hit the tab key once and your user name will appear.  Hit the tab key twice and the name of your drive will appear below the command line.  Enter a couple of the letters of your drives name, (remember Linux is case sensitive) and hit the tab key and then the enter key.  If there is any output, post it back to the forum  ;).

Note:  When posting terminal outputs to the forum, could you please remember to encapsulate terminal outputs with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  It preserves the original format of the output.  This is a huge help as it makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively.  It's really appreciated,  many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 08:06:41 am »
What file system is on this drive ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:07:58 pm »
Thanks Mac and Andy, I'll check and respond when I get home from the job today.

PCnetSpec, it's either fat32 or ntfs, more than likely ntfs. When I originally set it up it was pre-peppermint days and was still on win10.  Never had any issues until my goof up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:02 pm »
In that case if I were you I'd see if I could fix it with a Windows PC first .. you might find that chkdsk can fix the damaged filesystem.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:30:21 am »
In that case if I were you I'd see if I could fix it with a Windows PC first .. you might find that chkdsk can fix the damaged filesystem.
Well, ran chkdsk and when it finished nothing but some window files were there. Trying Mac's suggested links and ran TestDisk.  I now have to figure out what I'm looking at and where to go from there. As always, this forum is great with the replies. I'll Mark the subject solved.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:22:48 pm »
My God, does PhotoRec work.  It worked so well it found images from a few years ago when i had to backup my son's laptop when he had win10 issues. I did have 289 gigs of free space on my main drive, which PhotoRec completely gobbled up finding files. Now I have a completely new issue with not being able to log into my system. I type in my password, hit enter, it looks like I'm logging in but I just end up at the login screen again.  I'm assuming this is because I have no free hard drive space.  This is surely my week for issues.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 03:54:12 pm »
At the login screen hit Ctrl+Alt+F2

then run:
sudo apt-get clean
then hit Ctrl+Alt+F7

now see if you can log in ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 05:39:43 pm »
At the login screen hit Ctrl+Alt+F2

then run:
sudo apt-get clean
then hit Ctrl+Alt+F7

now see if you can log in ?
Thanks PCNetSpec, I tried it and it keeps looping back. 

I show 0 free space on my hard drive. I used a live USB session to go in and delete all the files from the recovery but still show 0 bytes. I've been reading different issues on this problem stopping log in. Wow, I dived deep into it this time.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:42:45 pm »
from the login screen Ctrl+Alt_F2

login in text mode

then run
df -h
what is the availabe space on the / (and /home if you have one) partitions ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:46:29 pm »
from the login screen Ctrl+Alt_F2

login in text mode

then run
df -h
what is the availabe space on the / (and /home if you have one) partitions ?
Available is 0, I have no /home.  Damdest thing I've see yet in my foray into linux.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 11:21:42 pm »
Ok, through a roundabout process I fixed my issue.  I basically had to go to /root/.local/share/Trash/files to remove files I had deleted from the PhotoRec recovery.  That freed up 18gigs, which was enough to let me get into peppermint.  I then had to go to root again in my home Trash directory to delete the rest.  I must also remember to hold shift down when I press delete to delete it straight out.  Thank you Mark for your help.  You and the rest of the forum members are a big reason why I love Peppermint.  Now I can go to sleep with a clear mind.  :)

P.S. I'll just have to start over with my Plex movie collection.  Not going to worry about recovering after all this, at least for now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:25:27 pm by stevesveryown »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: USB hard drive issue (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:17 am »
That was going to be my next question -- whether you'd "deleted" the files, or "Move to rubbish bin" .

Glad you figured it out :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:55:21 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
Re: USB hard drive issue (SOLVED)
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 02:20:37 pm »
That was going to be my next question -- whether you'd "deleted" the files, or "Move to rubbish bin" .

Glad you figured it out :)
I can't tell you how many times I looked in those locations and saw nothing. The final time I had been on the phone with a friend and I had not backed out of the folder while I was responding to him. It just took some time for the PhotoRec recovery files to pop in because there were so many. I guess the only way to learn is to make mistakes.

Things I learned this week:
1. TestDisk and PhotoRec are great recovery tools but need to be tweaked before using.
2. Unmount USB backup drive before attempting USB format. (Maybe this should be lesson 1.) ;)
3. I learned more about root access.
4. I learned about getting to the command line from the login screen.
5. I learned fat32 doesn't accept file sizes over 4gigs. (Could never understand why I would have issues moving large file sizes.)

I know there was more but I'm trying to remember while writing this on lunch at work.

Thanks again to all who helped!