Choose style:

Author Topic: No boot loader? Resolved. (Somehow)  (Read 1631 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: No boot loader?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 07:54:49 pm »
Ah right, cheers pin :)
(odd setup, 8GB SSD and 32GB internal flash drive)

Okay if there's nothing on it you want to keep, simply create new msdos partition tables on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb as the others have suggested.

Afterwards though, when installing Peppermint you'd probably be best served manually partitioning so you have a separate /home partition on /dev/sdb
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 02:55:18 am »
@PCNetSpec,
That’s a very good suggestion
@IronDuke
Good morning! Ready to go?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 04:05:19 am »
@PCNetSpec,
That’s a very good suggestion
@IronDuke
Good morning! Ready to go?

Hi, pin,

Good morning to you too, pin.

Yes I've taken my medication so good to go!  ;D 

I have a few things to do today and no doubt you have too so I'm sure there will be gaps between any responses for me to you and vice versa.

Can I first go back to basics please as I'm following instructions without knowing why it's relevant?

I originally formatted the netbook and then attempted to install P8 using the same USB stick to do it as I used for my laptop.

When it came to the partition bit I opted to install it on the 32GiB drive and simply followed the instructions so that it automatically continued
as it presumably was designed to do.

So can I ask first off why can it not find this GRUB boot loader when it was fine with my laptop?
What has partitioning got to do with the boot loader?
And why would the partitioning be an issue when I've just followed the same procedure as with my laptop?

Incidentally it seems to have installed part of P8 as on /dev/sdb1  ext4 it shows 4.43GiB used of 29.07GiB

These are things I don't understand and maybe might grasp if it's explained - or if it's not that simple maybe not!!

I'm interested to learn if I'm capable anyway.

Regards,

Doug.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:09:25 am by IronDuke »

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 04:35:23 am »
So can I ask first off why can it not find this GRUB boot loader when it was fine with my laptop?
And why would the partitioning be an issue when I've just followed the same procedure as with my laptop?

Incidentally it seems to have installed part of P8 as on /dev/sdb1  ext4 it shows 4.43GiB used of 29.07GiB

These are things I don't understand and maybe might grasp if it's explained - or if it's not that simple maybe not!!

Regards,

Doug.

So, you got the same error as before? Unable to install grub?

If so your system is installed, but it won't boot because is missing the bootloader

You could try the instructions that mac provided and manually mount your drive and install grub.

I have no clue why it's failling to install grub? But, it could be is trying to install it to the wrong driver...

When you see "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sdX Executing `grub-install /dev/sdX` failed." Is sdX the correct drive? The same as you installed your system to? Or is X different?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:37:28 am by pin »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 04:38:47 am »

Hi, pin I'll try to explain what I get but is there any way I can post the gparted screen shot which would be easier I assume than trying to put it into words?

Hi IronDuke, how's it going?  This might help you get a grip on how to post images to this site.  You need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool for future use  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the sites's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).

The 4.43GiB of space being taken up on your /dev/sdb1 partition has nothing to do with a part of PM8 being installed there.  The ext4 file system automatically reserves a percentage, (I think it's 5%) of the partition for functions such as journaling and to prevent fragmentation.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 04:56:26 am »
It could help to see if any of these apply to your case, http://proper.reviews/executing-grub-install-devsda-failed/

1) Installer is trying to create GRUB partition on the wrong disk (as I've already mentioned above)
2) Secure boot is not enabled and lack of UEFI is causing issues with creating bootloader (most probably not, as you are not using UEFI??)

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2018, 05:18:08 am »

Hi, pin I'll try to explain what I get but is there any way I can post the gparted screen shot which would be easier I assume than trying to put it into words?

Hi IronDuke, how's it going?  This might help you get a grip on how to post images to this site.  You need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool for future use  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the sites's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).

The 4.43GiB of space being taken up on your /dev/sdb1 partition has nothing to do with a part of PM8 being installed there.  The ext4 file system automatically reserves a percentage, (I think it's 5%) of the partition for functions such as journaling and to prevent fragmentation.

Hi, Andy

It isn't at the moment!  ;D  But hope springs eternal.

I'm getting lots of help and advice from the really nice folks on here but as my knowledge level is just below zero I'm not the easiest person to help!!
Must be frustrating for you folks.  :-[

Thanks for the info about the stuff on ext4 not being P8 (or a part of it) presumably then when it failed to install/load/find boot loader all the files and stuff (apparently) copied before that point were discarded/lost?

Regards,

Doug.

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2018, 05:31:17 am »

Regards,

Doug.

So, you got the same error as before? Unable to install grub?

If so your system is installed, but it won't boot because is missing the bootloader

You could try the instructions that mac provided and manually mount your drive and install grub.

I have no clue why it's failling to install grub? But, it could be is trying to install it to the wrong driver...

When you see "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sdX Executing `grub-install /dev/sdX` failed." Is sdX the correct drive? The same as you installed your system to? Or is X different?

Hi, pin

My problem is that the GRUB boot loader couldn't  load or be found or whatever and was flagged up as a fatal error!

Gave three options as to what to do but none of which worked indeed the machine simply froze and wouldn't respond to anything so just a case of switching it off.

So as I said before why is the partitioning relevant to being unable to install the boot loader?

Cheers,

Doug.

PS I think it was mac who suggested substituting sdx so no it isn't one of the drives.

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:01 am »
It could help to see if any of these apply to your case, http://proper.reviews/executing-grub-install-devsda-failed/

1) Installer is trying to create GRUB partition on the wrong disk (as I've already mentioned above)
2) Secure boot is not enabled and lack of UEFI is causing issues with creating bootloader (most probably not, as you are not using UEFI??)

Hi, pin

That's an interesting article seems to mirror my problem will try to see if it helps.

Cheers.
That

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2018, 05:49:16 am »
Hi, folks

Decided to try to install P8 again and when it gets to installation type it says :

This computer currently has Peppermint 8 on it what would you like to do?

Then you get the option to install it alongside P8 or erase it, encrypt it, use LVM (whatever that means) and something else.

So it seems that P8 is on the netbook or it thinks it is.  Very confusing.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2018, 06:41:44 am »
Nope! That's what I told you a few posts ago... the system IS installed but, it won't boot because you don't have a bootloader.
Does it make sense?

Boot again from the live USB. Open a terminal and find out where PM8 is located
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
Write down this in a piece of paper. ALL OF IT.
Now manually install grub to the CORRECT device, i.e. the one containing your PM8 install.

Here, how to manually install grub https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub_002dinstall.html

Once you have done this and reboot should work

EDIT:
Code: [Select]
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sdX
Replace X with the correct device label,  i.e. a, b or whatever you have received from the fdisk command earlier.

Further info here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing
and here https://askubuntu.com/questions/126541/how-to-manually-install-boot-loader

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:54:58 am by pin »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 07:26:54 am »
If I had to **guess** I'd say the root of the problem is simply the reported corrupt file system on /dev/sda .. GRUB stage one was probably set to be installed there and failed because of the corruption.

Why the file system iis corrupt in the first place is anyone's guess.

You REALLY need to sort out the file system on /dev/sda before going any further.

Once you've done that (by creating a new msdos style partition table on it in GParted), you'd probably be best served wiping /dev/sdb and starting again from scratch .. installing / to /dev/sda .. and /boot and /home to /dev/sdb

If it were me, my first step would be to wipe both drives by creating new msdos style partition tables on both of them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:29:58 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:49 am »
If it were me having these problems, and since there is nothing to lose on any of this hard drive, I would mount sda and install the boot loader there and then see what happens. Just a thought.

Offline IronDuke

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
Hi, folks,

Just to let everyone know P8 is now successfully installed on my Asus EEE PC.  I only wish I could explain how the problem was resolved but I can't.  :)
So a big thank you for your patience and help. 

Still it's been a really nice day for the Great Manchester Run,  so it's all good.  :)

Regards.