Choose style:

Author Topic: Changing DNS Ipv4 & Ipv6 addresses. (SOLVED)  (Read 519 times)

Offline GEMS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8
Changing DNS Ipv4 & Ipv6 addresses. (SOLVED)
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:48:53 pm »
Hi,

I am having trouble changing the Ipv4 and Ipv6 settings in the Network / Ethernet / Edit. I read all that I could find in the Forum. I couldn't get the "save" button to energize. I found the CSV requirement and thought that was my mistake but still cannot change my DNS server.

What I am trying to do is to go away from the automatic DHCP settings of Comcast and use the CloudFlare settings. I need help. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

GEMS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:30:03 pm by GEMS »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (64-bit)
Re: Changing DNS Ipv4 & Ipv6 addresses.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:37:10 pm »
Hi GEMS,

I'm waiting to read the answer for this question too.  Comcast is a nightmare.  I believe you can get into the modem with this address:  10.1.10.1 -- but, please, don't hold me to that.  Then look and see if you've got a modem in which Comcast gives you the option of changing your DNS setting.  Maybe, MAYBE, you'll be lucky and be able to change your DNS settings from there.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to go into Peppermint's panel.  Next to the update manager is an Network Connections icon.  Left click onto that in order to open it, go to Edit Connections and left click there, and then click on Wired Connections, left click that, and then left click Edit,  Now go to IPv4 Settings and change the setting from Automatic (DHCP) to Automatic (DHCP) addresses only

Now look below for Additional DNS Servers:

Enter the numbers: 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1  -- no spaces, but with a comma. (Copy and paste that is you want.)  The box should now say you can save the entry.  Modify these instructions for wireless and IPv6 settings if you need to do so.

Link:

https://1.1.1.1/

I hope what I just wrote helps you, GEMS.  Good luck! ;)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:53:10 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline GEMS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Changing DNS Ipv4 & Ipv6 addresses. (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:20:49 pm »
THANK YOU   PERKNH   THANK YOU    :P

You were correct. I was not clicking on the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" and I thought that PcNetSpec had said, in a post I was reading, that the Comma Specified Variable ( CSV ) criteria required that after a comma there had to be a space. Guess I was wrong again. But, you my friend empowered me to be able to energize the " Save" button and after entering the IpV4 primary and secondary addresses ( 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1) and the IpV6 primary and secondary addresses ( 2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001) I am now using CloudFlare's DNS Servers at 300Mb/s.

Thanks again and I hope all reading will gain the knowledge that I have and use the Primary and Secondary addresses I wrote above.

GEMS.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:50:37 am »
You're welcome, GEMS, but I don't know if that was as helpful as you think.

Now test your DNS with DNS Leak.  And, test it also with GRC's DNS nameserver spoofabilty test.

With the method we're using it's tough to shake Comcast completely.  Ideally I like to get into the modem and change the DNS settings from there.  But, the last I knew, Comcast's new modems don't permit the user to do so.  The goal of these tests is have CloudFare's DNS servers appear first on the list -- which isn't as easy as it sounds with Comcast.  However, if they appear at the top of the list, we hit a home run.  Then we can do a victory dance! ;)

Offline GEMS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »
Perknh,

Put on your dancing shoes. No Comcast.  ;D

GEMS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:30:47 pm by GEMS »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:31:38 pm »