Choose style:

Author Topic: [Guide] P8: Fixing Graphical Corruption on i915-based systems (Atom N270).  (Read 774 times)

Offline revoke

• nOOb
  • Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 7, and 6
With the update to the new 4.13 kernel from the February 2018 respin, I started seeing weird graphical issues on some of my older 'buntu-based systems. With this in mind, I thought I would share my fix for Peppermint 8 in the hopes that it will help people running on older hardware.

Issue/Symptoms:
  • After boot, about 80% of the screen on the left side is corrupted, black, and garbled.
  • 20% of the screen on the right side is visible.
  • This corruption does not happen when booting from the Live system.  It only occurs once Peppermint 8 is installed on a hard drive.
  • A workaround is to boot in Peppermint, suspend, then come out of suspend mode and the graphic corruption goes away.

What it looks like:

Source: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/400177/upon-upgrade-of-lubuntu-17-10-from-17-04-display-messed-up-on-an-eeepc-900a

The Fix (or at least a more permanent workaround):

The fault in the display may due to grub trying to set the graphics driver to an invalid resolution, or one that the video card really doesn't like. i915 does not seem to like resolutions above 800x600.  To get around this issue, force grub to use "terminal" mode.  This solution will allow full boot, and keep 1024x600 native resolution once the graphical environment loads.

Steps:
  • 1. Suspend your system. Close the lid (or CTRL+ALT+DEL, down arrow twice (2x), then ENTER).
  • 2. Come out of suspend (typically by opening the lid, and pressing power button)
  • 3. Open terminal
  • 4. Edit /etc/defult/grub using your favorite command-line editor (vi, nano, whatever).

Example:
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /etc/defult/grub
  • 5. Look for the line #GRUB_TERMINAL=console and remove the # (this activates this option)
  • 6. Save and exit your editor
  • 7. Run update-grub2 to apply the changes

sudo update-grub2
  • 8. Reboot and the corruption should be gone.  Grub should be in the default boot VGA resolution, but Linux should still boot up using the native resolution of your display and work correctly.

Notes: The original suspend workaround was fine for me, except that my touchpads do not like working after coming out of suspend (that is my next fix to troubleshoot).  So, this fix (which I suspect is actually another workaround for hardware limitations on the old i915 chipset) did the the trick for me.

More on this issue here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/968742/upgrade-from-17-04-to-17-10-on-samsung-nc-10-80-of-screen-corrupted

Current Use:
Peppermint-8-20170527 64-bit (ASUS 1015E-DS03)
Peppermint-8-20170527 32-bit (Dell Vostro A90)

Previous Use:
Peppermint 7-20161201 64-bit (System76 Lemur Ultra)
Peppermint 7-20161201 32-bit (Dell Latitude D410)
Peppermint 6-20150904 32-bit (Acer Aspire One A110 8GB)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Nice, thanks very much for the guide revoke :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline vitdut3

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
This really helped me on my first PM 8 fresh instal! Thanks!

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
With the update to the new 4.13 kernel from the February 2018 respin, I started seeing weird graphical issues on some of my older 'buntu-based systems. With this in mind, I thought I would share my fix for Peppermint 8 in the hopes that it will help people running on older hardware.

Issue/Symptoms:
  • After boot, about 80% of the screen on the left side is corrupted, black, and garbled.
  • 20% of the screen on the right side is visible.
  • This corruption does not happen when booting from the Live system.  It only occurs once Peppermint 8 is installed on a hard drive.
  • A workaround is to boot in Peppermint, suspend, then come out of suspend mode and the graphic corruption goes away.

What it looks like:

Source: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/400177/upon-upgrade-of-lubuntu-17-10-from-17-04-display-messed-up-on-an-eeepc-900a

The Fix (or at least a more permanent workaround):

The fault in the display may due to grub trying to set the graphics driver to an invalid resolution, or one that the video card really doesn't like. i915 does not seem to like resolutions above 800x600.  To get around this issue, force grub to use "terminal" mode.  This solution will allow full boot, and keep 1024x600 native resolution once the graphical environment loads.

Steps:
  • 1. Suspend your system. Close the lid (or CTRL+ALT+DEL, down arrow twice (2x), then ENTER).
  • 2. Come out of suspend (typically by opening the lid, and pressing power button)
  • 3. Open terminal
  • 4. Edit /etc/defult/grub using your favorite command-line editor (vi, nano, whatever).

Example:
sudo nano /etc/defult/grub
  • 5. Look for the line #GRUB_TERMINAL=console and remove the # (this activates this option)
  • 6. Save and exit your editor
  • 7. Run update-grub2 to apply the changes

sudo update-grub2
  • 8. Reboot and the corruption should be gone.  Grub should be in the default boot VGA resolution, but Linux should still boot up using the native resolution of your display and work correctly.

Notes: The original suspend workaround was fine for me, except that my touchpads do not like working after coming out of suspend (that is my next fix to troubleshoot).  So, this fix (which I suspect is actually another workaround for hardware limitations on the old i915 chipset) did the the trick for me.

More on this issue here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/968742/upgrade-from-17-04-to-17-10-on-samsung-nc-10-80-of-screen-corrupted
This happened to my little old Asus 1005-HA after an update. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I'll try this. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Thanks to pin doing the legwork and finding the solutions, there are actually two workarounds for this Intel i945 Graphics bug with the 4.13 kernel

The one above, which is also documented here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6431.msg65731.html#msg65731

OR

The one here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6753.msg68372.html#msg68372
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:24:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
Thank you,  pin, for the post, it worked like a charm. Afterwards I was able to manual update the system to peppermint 8 respin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Oh! You're welcome. Glad it helped quite a few people

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I didn't mean to detract from the excellent tutorial above by revoke .. I just meant to draw attention to both solutions (because for one user the solution in this topic didn't seem to work, but the other did) and it kinda required that I give credit to the discoverer ;)

I apologise revoke if my earlier post seemed to overlook your part, it wasn't meant that way.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec