Choose style:

Author Topic: ARTICLE: Tool released to run more Linux distros on Windows  (Read 542 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: ARTICLE: Tool released to run more Linux distros on Windows
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 06:54:58 am »
I doubt if they'll release a "distro", at least not for the desktop. Possibly an embedded Linux image for IoT devices [...]

Bingo!

Project Rome: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/project-rome

and ...

UWP: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/universal-application-platform-guide

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:13:28 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »
I think I figured it out - maybe - sorta. We'll see after the download is complete [...]

Possible PEBKAC. Can't be that simple, right  ::)

Finally found the perp, this morning @ 3:00 a.m. Latest Redstone 5 buildfeed is successfully installed and fully updated. Been goofing around with this in my spare time... for what?... 6 weeks in total?!?!?

I manually updated all of the drivers one-at-a-time, which the various Dell, Intel, and winders 'assistants'are supposed to be watching, and BOOM! Who woulda thunk?

That's the last time I'm going to put my 'Road Warrior' in Murphy's Path.

Got 3 OSs installed now - Peppermint (dependable as a eight day clock), winders 10 (dodgy but stable), and winders 10 (next step rough alpha).  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »
Oh the update pain .. I can feel the heat from those flushed 'rage glow' cheeks from this side of the pond :)

I get that 'rage glow' every time I have to boot Windows, then can't get back to Peppermint whilst Windows update hijacks the shutdown sequence for half an hour.
(that's my #1 gripe about Windows .. most of its other idiosyncrasies don't bother me much simply because I'm rarely in it, but when it stops me getting at Peppermint that's where the red line is drawn)

Boot windows for 2 minutes to check a document hasn't rearranged itself in Word, then try to reboot into Peppermint .. spinning dots and "Getting Windows Ready, please don't turn off your PC" .. Arrrrggghhh!!!! >:(

I think the main problem is I use Windows that rarely I forget it's going to do this, so get 'surprised/caught' by it every time .. so I'm as embarrassed at my own stupidity as much as angry at Windows.
(not that knowing that makes me any less angry at the time)

[EDIT]

With this oft repeated rant of mine in mind, I'll give you one guess what happened to me again today that I forgot was coming ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:20:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 09:48:11 pm »
I hear ya ...

I'll never know how I got a seat at the 'Skip Ahead' table. It happened after a failed 'Insider' update. Damn thing was downloading for (like) 6 hours. I finally thought, "Screw it," and shutdown my lappy in the middle of whatever it was doing, and went to bed. Next day I powered it up, and started a fresh upgrade ... only to have it jump to a Skip Ahead buildfeed.

First impression was, it's a stroke of luck. Second impression was  :o

Basically, Skip Ahead is like Nighlly Builds in Linuxland, or Canary builds in Chrom(ium) World, expect it takes a couple of hours to complete - if all goes well.

EDIT

Check out this buildfeed schedule, LoL:  https://buildfeed.net/family/Redstone5/ 

Skip Ahead is truly useless on a production machine. Hence, the need for the ancillary stable install  ;)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:35:05 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Added Pic »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 07:33:59 am »
Maybe they have a Bing-bot (or maybe Cortana) that's aware you're an OS tinkerer so might make a good tester ???

Since the dawn of "big data" analysis, I'm not sure anything is random any more.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:36:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec