Choose style:

Author Topic: Not booting into live or install at ASUS Strix VGL 753 optimus laptop - stuck  (Read 469 times)

Offline dzmelinux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
It boots but doesn't get into the live or install setup, it sticks at loading screen

Is there anyone who knows how to get the USB from peppermint 8 booted into live medium or install on a Optimus Laptop (2 Graphic Cards Intel and Nvidia)

Just got challenged by English Bob and for now he lost before the race could start.

I am holding back the video on my channel for a day max, hope someone knows how rto get it at least to boot up.

Thanks for anyone willing to help ;-))

Dirk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:28:54 pm by dzmelinux »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Optimus on it's own is unlikely to be the problem .. I'm currently on a laptop with Optimus and had no problems installing.

Can you better define "sticks at loading screen" ? .. do you mean the "Loading Peppermint" screen ?

And if you hit "Esc" or "Tab" at the "Loading Peppermint" screen, is anything displayed onscreen that may give us a clue where boot failed ?

[EDIT]

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96355-GL753VE-Laptop-cannot-launch-Linux-Install-or-normal-boot-Linux-Kernel-solved

have you tried applying the nomodest kernel boot parameter ?

Boot to the Peppermint 8 LiveUSB .. when you get to the screen where it offers you "Try Peppermint" and "Install Peppermint" ..  hit the "Tab" key

You'll then see some white writing at the bottom of screen that ends with:-

quiet splash --

Instead make it end with:-

quiet splash nomodeset --

then hit enter to continue booting.

Did that allow you to boot ?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:09:42 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline dzmelinux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Hello PCNetSpec,

I changed the ~~ to -- and added nomodeset to it like: -- nomodeset

and that did let me boot up and install Peppermint OS,

thank you

Dirk