Choose style:

Author Topic: Is there a way for the peppermint os to maintain itself?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Sorath72

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Is there a way for the peppermint os to maintain itself?
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »
Everytime I have a Linux distro it seems I ether end up with lots of broken dependencies or broken os. Is there any program or way for the os to repair and maintain itself? I was thinking maybe a computer program that could do the job of repairing and maintaining the system to full health. Any ideas if such a program or an idea like this has been mentioned before? Let me know thanks.

Don't feel like re-installing the system again and again.

Steph

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Is there a way for the peppermint os to maintain itself?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:36:18 pm »
No such program of which I am aware.

Why are you installing again and again?  Any specific issues?  Any particular software causing you to have to do that?

If you install PeppermintOS once, keep it updated, install programs almost always from the repositories and make sure other software you install comes from reliable sources, you shouldn't have any problems such as you are having. 

Can you elaborate on your issues, being a bit more specific?

mac
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline Sorath72

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
well when I said again and again it was past distros. Not really this one. I checked online for repairing broken dependencies on a system and apparently there is something call -f or --fix-broken. But when ever I try it in terminal it says it doesn't recognise the command. I tried apt-get -f and --fix-broken and nothing seems to work. Is it cause I have no broken dependencies on my system? Anyways I did do all that you said and it should be fine. Its just LMMS been acting kind of weird. Like locking itself up after a while of using it. Just started doing so today. So should I re-install lmms since its a appimage. Or just try to fix the OS itself. I never seen LMMS do this behavior until today. Sure it did crash once in a while but really It never locked up like it does. Its just some weird behavior that just started to happen. Thats why I wonder about broken dependencies and stuff.

Thanks,
steph

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:18:29 pm »
I'm afraid there is no way such a program could exist in Linux any more than those "Click here to fix your PC" apps are going to work in Windows .. there are just too many variables.
(Synaptic will "have a go" at fixing broken dependencies, but it only works "sometimes" .. and something like aptitude may also offer "options" that may fix the problem, but using these without understanding the implications could very easily make matters far worse)

If you get broken dependencies it'll nearly always be because you stepped outside the default repositories and started adding PPA's without understanding the implications.

If you still have broken dependencies, if you tell us the EXACT error message(s) you're seeing we may be able to assist.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:27:43 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec