Choose style:

Author Topic: ixquick EU?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: ixquick EU?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 12:17:08 pm »
Exactly and I see no change happening.  :(

Yeah, there isn't any difference anymore.  The two search engines -- Startpage and Ixquick -- are now only powered by Google.  That's why I'm shook up over this.

We've still have DuckDuckGo, SearX, Swisscows, and a couple others to choose from, but Ixquick was an excellent alternative search engine until about a week ago. :(
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 09:25:18 am »
Hello friends,

I've now found Startpage's post about Ixquick.eu.  (Its title actually says it all.)

Coming soon: Ixquick.eu will be forwarded to StartPage.com

https://www.startpage.com/blog/coming-soon-ixquick-eu-will-forwarded-startpage-com/

This morning I found an open source metasearch engine -- one from Germany -- that some here may find interesting.  Although it's new to me, it's actually been around for quite some time.  It's called MetaGer. ;)

Here is its direct link:

https://metager.de/en
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:47:59 am by perknh »

The PoorGuy

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 01:32:30 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:37:27 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 08:35:33 pm »
Thanks for the find.  8)

We've got to thank www.ixquick.eu for this, PoorGuy!  But, yeah, it is a pretty cool search engine.  I like it too!! :)

Thanks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 10:10:51 pm »
I like this, two for the price of one: Perknh's-Personal-Startpage.  Pure genius  ;D!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

The PoorGuy

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:15 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:37:42 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 08:35:24 am »
You guys make me happy!  :)

I LOVE that start page:  it goes on every browser I install. ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 06:04:17 pm »
I could probably add a third MetaGer search box to your personal startpage if you'd like perknh ?

and change the background if you're getting bored with it yet.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 09:59:29 am »
I could probably add a third MetaGer search box to your personal startpage if you'd like perknh ?

and change the background if you're getting bored with it yet.

Hello, PCNetSpec. 

Now, I don't know if you know this or not, but there's a subset of Linux Peppermint OS users here who have been quietly using Perknh's-Personal-Startpage for quite some time now.  Since we know that DuckDuckGo uses crowdsourced results from Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex, and that Startpage is really only a more private version of Google, I've been wondering what our best bet would be if we were to add an open source search engine to Perknh's-Personal-Startpage

The three candidates I've come up with are MetaGer. Here is its about page.  There's Gigablast, and here is its privacy page.  And, finally, there's SearX, and here is its privacy page.

As with everything, these meta search engines all have pluses and minuses.  SearX is probably the beast of them all, but it's tough to filter for family friendliness through DNS.  Gigablast has a good news section in many languages, but I'm not yet certain if it defaults to HTTPS.  MetaGer's plus is that its servers are located entirely in Germany, and that it has ties with Leibniz University Hanover.

What do you think, PCNetSpec?  Which of the three do you think fit best with Peppermint?  See, this start page may bear my name, but it's more than for me now.
 Your handiwork has become a popular alternative Peppermint community start page that many of us have now been enjoying for years now.  So adding an open source search engine to it is an important consideration to make.

As for background, I like the background that it has now, but I also like Peppermint 6's background as well.  Those are my two favorites.  Peppermint 7's marble background has a nice family feel to it, while Peppermint 6's background has a sharp business quality to it.  Both are terrific! ;)

Thank you,

perknh

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 10:11:09 am »
I'm also using your startpage, perknh. I find the DuckDuckGo search sometimes leaves me with a blank page, which may be down to the combination of extensions I'm using.

I don't know much about these other search engines but I appreciate you testing them out  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 11:34:49 am »
Hi murraymint,

Yes, DuckDuckGo has changed over time.  I remember when you'd see, at the bottom of the DDG's search page, what proprietary search engine was enhancing DDG's search results -- like Bing or Yandex.  But I don't see that message any more.

I too had a problem with DDG going blank in Firefox, and I believe this had something to do with my extensions also.  In my case it was the Default Mode in SafeScript's General Settings.  I had to change the settings to Allow instead of Block.  (My primary use of SafeScript is for fingerprint protection, though I do use its privacy settings tools also.)

perknh

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
It's your startpage perknh .. so your call ;)

I could (probably) add them all, but then you'd need to scroll to get to some of them.

BTW, this would probably have to wait until after Peppermint 9 .. by which time there'll be some other background and artwork options to consider ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:50 am »
Well, I know its proprietary, and I know I'm still toying with ideas here, but for family-friendliness, privacy, multilingual support, ease of use, and search results that are NOT from Google, I'm leaning strongly towards Swisscows.

I encourage anyone here to share their opinions with me concerning Swisscows search engine, so here it is:

https://swisscows.com/

On the other hand an argument against using Swisscows is that you could say that it's ONLY a family-friendly version of Bing, though with enhanced privacy.  I wonder if this search engine is really all that different from DuckDuckGo other than its default settings block adult material and its servers are located in Switzerland.  But,I suppose those two things are what make all the difference in first place.  Still, Bing or not, I've got to give it to Swisscows for family-friendliness.  At that it excels. ;)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:07:11 pm by perknh »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:48 pm »
Bring back HotBot :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
Bring back HotBot :)

I don't remember HotBot, but I know it was from a simpler time. :) 

Another contender I want to throw in the mix is called Peekier.

Here's a little about it:

https://www.noupe.com/business-online/peekier-new-search-engine-protects-privacy.html

&

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13166461

I don't know where Peekier is from, and I don't know if it will be open-sourced.  Like SwissCows, its search results are from Bing.  Also, by default, its Safe search settings are set to strict, but unlike SwissCows, the Safe search settings can be changed.