Choose style:

Author Topic: Menu in newer versions (solved)  (Read 508 times)

Offline Dr Bali

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Menu in newer versions (solved)
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:57:57 am »
Hi all,
I've just installed Peppermint 6 (I like the menu), but am wondering if the newer versions (whisker menu?) can be made to look the same?
Sorry if this seems rather simplistic!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:01:07 am by Dr Bali »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Menu in newer versions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:55:24 am »
Hi all,
I've just installed Peppermint 6 (I like the menu), but am wondering if the newer versions (whisker menu?) can be made to look the same?
Sorry if this seems rather simplistic!

Hi Dr Bali, how's it going  :)?  A big welcome to the Peppermint Forum and our community  ;).  Yes, you can very easily change the menu on the Peppermint 7 and Peppermint 8 to the old fashioned, hierarchical menu.  Be aware if you do this, you'll lose all the super cool functions contained in the Whisker Menu.  If you decide to  make the change and need help, let us know and someone will be delighted to guide you through the simple process  ;) 
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Dr Bali

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:57:15 am »
Hi AndyInMokum

Wow - superquick replies! Many thanks.
Sounds like an upgrade is called for! I've tried v 6 on an old Dell (which has "issues"!), but will soon invest in something more up-to-date. Since I like Peppermint so far, and your info confirms what I had hoped, that;s the way I'm gonna go.

Thanks once again.

:)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:43 pm »
Hi AndyInMokum

Wow - superquick replies! Many thanks.
Sounds like an upgrade is called for! I've tried v 6 on an old Dell (which has "issues"!), but will soon invest in something more up-to-date. Since I like Peppermint so far, and your info confirms what I had hoped, that;s the way I'm gonna go.

Thanks once again.

:)

Cool, we're always delighted to have new users  8).  You should be made aware, Peppermint 9 is being worked on.  This is set to be released towards the end of May to the beginning of July 2018, or when it's ready  ;).  This new release will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  I just thought you should know before you get too comfortable with Peppermint 8.  Not that there's anything wrong with PM8 it's a great distro.  Peppermint 9 will be using a new kernel and will receive support through April 2023 opposed to through April 2021 for PM8  ;).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:12:06 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Dr Bali

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Menu in newer versions (solved)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:22 am »
Hi AndyInMokum

Thanks for the heads-up on Peppermint 9 - I'll look out for reviews later in the year.
Peppermint is certainly sweet. I did try one or two others (PCLinuxOS, elementaryOS) - both nice but Peppermint just felt more streamlined.

Regards