Choose style:

Author Topic: Swap Error on Installation  (Read 664 times)

Offline formentera

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Swap Error on Installation
« on: March 23, 2018, 04:31:19 pm »
Brand new user here, trying to install current version (7 or 8?) onto an old Fujitsu Lifebook laptop, currently running Windows XP Professional. I selected for the install to delete the current OS, and selected to encrypt the Peppermint installation. I did not select to do anything with the partition table.

On the next screen, I entered my encryption key and pressed continue - that is when I got the error regarding the swap file which also said it would cause the installation to abort. I used the "back" buttons until I got to the original screen with just a flashing cursor. Because I have far more experience with Windows operating systems, I thought I would try to reboot back into Windows XP and turn off the swap file there, before starting the Peppermint installation again.

The problem is, the computer now will not boot at all, but after a very brief Fujitsu splash screen, simply goes to a blinking cursor. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to resolve this issue please???

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received!!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Swap Error on Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »
Hi formentera and welcome to the forum :)

Is there any reason you cant....

Boot to the LiveUSB

Fire up Gparted

Right-click on the swap partition on the hard drive and select swapoff

Delete all partitions on the hard drive.

Start the installation again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:02:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline formentera

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:49 am »
Hi PCNetSpec

Thanks for the welcome!

It's a complicated story - the BIOS on the laptop is locked by a password, which I do not know. I've tried all the obvious things like known back-door passwords, but I can't get in. I haven't tried removing the mb battery or changing jumpers to reset, because, from memory, being a cramped box, you can't readily get to the mb.

Anyway, as a result, booting from a USB flash drive was not possible at all (it isn't in the Boot Menu list of options) until I used "Plop" planted in the MBR by "Bootice". This worked like a charm, but now that the Peppermint install has done what it has done, I guess the MBR is no longer used / bypassed, so I can now not reboot from my flash drive.

Rebooting from the CD-ROM does work because I can select this option from the boot menu, but I don't think I have a rewrite-able CD to hand to transfer the Peppermint ISO onto - I am currently searching! Apart from that, all I can think of is to find an alternative means to boot from the CD which might allow me to reinstall a version of Windows so I can get sort of back where I was - re-using Bootice to put Plop into the MBR so I can repeat the install as yesterday.

Thanks for your directions regarding the swapoff, but I don't even know what you mean by "Gparted" (I am a fast learner!).

Thanks for your help.

Offline formentera

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
Hi PCNetSpec

UPDATE!

Found an old Fujitsu rescue CD which I was able to boot from. Re-installed Windows XP, turned off the pagefile, and re-implanted Plop into the Master Boot Record. Rebooted and got the option to boot from the USB flash courtesy of the Plop menu. Peppermint install now complete (I chose to remove the Windows install again), and everything is looking good.

Thanks again for the welcome, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon!!  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:55:23 pm »
Nice workaround, glad you got it working :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec