Choose style:

Author Topic: Deleting Frakkbook and DehTwttrs  (Read 2712 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Re: Deleting Frakkbook and DehTwttrs
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:05 am »
Really? Hm, I didn't even know they ever had the option. But then, I was only on there briefly a few years ago, and they made it clear that accounts couldn't be deleted at that time.

I have successfully closed three accounts my mother abandoned over the years... used to be they wouldn't finalize deletion for 90 days... they reduced that to 15 days under some pressure last year @scifidude79...
spence
PeppermintOS 9 installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 09:07:10 am »
Ah, the more you know, and all that. Have a karma point for teaching me something new.  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »
I would expect the GDPR forces them to allow account deletion.

Or is this right
https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-moving-1-5-billion-users-away-from-gdpr-protection/
and GDPR protections/options aren't offered to anyone outside the EU ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:15 pm »
Ostensibly, FB's skeedaddle outta Ireland was about GDPR... but probably more importantly was about the re-writing of tax law and FB's presence there under a "double irish" zero tax scheme... which was likely re-written with FB as main target...  which likely spooked investors
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »
Hi spence.  Did you see this about Facebook and its practice of shadow profiling?  What's worse, there's not much a person can do about this practice either.

How Facebook uses a hidden feature to share your information with advertisers

From the PBS NewsHour.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 08:55:39 am »
A friend of mine signed up for Fekbook the other day, he didn't share any contact lists and yet fekbook still started suggesting as friends people he did actually know before he'd posted anything.

Now the only way I can see how they could do that is if these other people have ever mentioned his name in a conversation on Fekbook (possibly cross-referenced with location data, and maybe databases from third parties).

But it's scary how much they obviously seem to know about people who aren't even members.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:59:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 10:19:12 am »
I saw on the news where they're in trouble again for another data breach. I don't know why people even trust that site.

As for your friend, it's possible he was on someone else's contact list. IE: They had him listed, including his e-mail, and Frakkbook made that connection. Just a guess.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 11:57:42 am »
Possible, but it's still scary how their algorithms know so much about you even before you join .. just shows they're building profiles even of non members.

I guess they'd say they don't UNTIL you join .. but I wouldn't like to bet they're not .. and even if they're currently not, it still shows the power they could weild at the drop of a hat (or request).

My point is they shouldn't be profiling non-members AT ALL .. hell, even the police/'security' services didn't used to have those kind of "association" profiling capabilities on EVERYONE (including non-criminals) .. but via Fekbook/Google I bet they do now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:00:17 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 12:25:05 pm »
I understand being able to submit my personal details to Facebook. The scary part is how much deep they can go without the proper knowledge from the user.

I have, but don't really use FB. However, I do use WhatsApp quite a lot. I wonder how much information they get from that app.

Now imagine how things would be if Google owned FB?
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 01:46:33 pm »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »
A friend of mine signed up for Fekbook the other day, he didn't share any contact lists and yet fekbook still started suggesting as friends people he did actually know before he'd posted anything.

They were able to suggest his IRL (In Real Life) friends... because more than a few of them  gave FB permission to upload their contacts from their devices "in order to help you find your friends on FB" ... It only takes a few clueless or careless acquaintances to allow FBCodeKiddo's algorithms  to co-locate everyone you know mutually.  >:(

Things like this make me wonder if actually deleting my FB page is a bad idea...

:-\

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »
Hi spence.  Did you see this about Facebook and its practice of shadow profiling?  What's worse, there's not much a person can do about this practice either.

I've seen this before... what irritates me more than anything is when I mention to my friends and family that I've closed/deactivated my FB... they say they can't because "all my friends are there" I'm gonna start asking if all their friends were in a burning house or jumping off cliffs would they do the same too?

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 03:13:13 pm »
I saw on the news where they're in trouble again for another data breach. I don't know why people even trust that site.

I find it insidious that Zuckerbooger keeps calling these "breaches" ... this is precisely what the system was designed to do... his initial rounds of funding after relocating to CA all came from D.A.R.P.A.
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 05:31:46 pm »
However, I do use WhatsApp quite a lot. I wonder how much information they get from that app.

Now imagine how things would be if Google owned FB?

I hear you, christianvl.

If we've got WhatsApp on our Android phones (and one billion of us do), and if we handed over our contact info from our Android phones to WhatsApp in order to use its service (which we have), and if there's this shadow profiling taking place (which there is), what does Facebook or Google not have on us now?  Heck, all of us must have been profiled, and re-profiled, at least dozens of times by now.  :o

Things like this make me wonder if actually deleting my FB page is a bad idea... [/color]

:-\

I don't know.  It sure makes you wonder if doing so does much good at this point. :-\

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 06:07:50 pm »
They were able to suggest his IRL (In Real Life) friends... because more than a few of them  gave FB permission to upload their contacts from their devices "in order to help you find your friends on FB" ... It only takes a few clueless or careless acquaintances to allow FBCodeKiddo's algorithms  to co-locate everyone you know mutually.  >:(

Yep, that's exactly it. Say you never consented to be in FB's database, but you're on various contact lists from friends and family members who share their contacts with FB, for some reason. So, your name and e-mail are now in FB's system, and you never consented to it. Welcome to the world of nothing is private.  ::)

I find it insidious that Zuckerbooger keeps calling these "breaches" ... this is precisely what the system was designed to do... his initial rounds of funding after relocating to CA all came from D.A.R.P.A.

Well, he's not going to admit to it any more than the federal agencies who are involved will. They'll hang him out to dry over these breaches and deny their part in anything vehemently. He probably had to sign agreements to not divulge anything. He could probably wind up in federal prison for saying anything.

Besides, he's rich and Facebook is a publicly traded company, so what does he care? It's not like he'll pay for any penalties they incur out of his own pocket.