Choose style:

Author Topic: Deleting Frakkbook and DehTwttrs  (Read 4500 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Deleting Frakkbook and DehTwttrs
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:42 pm »
After a decade of use, I've decided to ditch both faceborg and DehTwttrs ... in favor of MeWe and Vero ... MeWe seems like it could be cooler as it has separated groups functionality... so I could theoretically add you all to a Peppermint only discussion...

Anybody else sick of the other two?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:43:19 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Deleting Frakkbook and DehTwttrs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:05 pm »
For whatever reason, I haven't been able to warm up to Facebook.  When Facebook first came out a neighbor of mine asked me sign up for a Facebook account -- which I did.  But, after many months of non-use, I dumped the account.  I've thought about Twitter too, but no.  I can't really tell you why.  I've got new pressure on me these days to join Facebook.  I've been told to catch up with the times, and that this is how people communicate now -- that Facebook can be as private, or as non-private as you would like.  I don't know, spence, but I don't like what I've been hearing lately in the news about Facebook or Twitter.  Right now I feel turned off by the two platforms.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:27:35 pm »
Hi spence, being that i live about five thousand miles away from the rest of my family, I am hooked on fb. Trying to get anyone to sign up on a different service would be next to impossible. Not too long ago, I tried to get a few people that exclusively use WhatsApp to install Jitzi meet on their phones so we could video chat from my computer, no one did.
What was I thinking?

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:23:45 am »
Thanks for the responses perknh & alynur ... I have decided to double down... both MeWe and Vero are #AdFree & #AlgorithmFree ... folks will either follow me or be left behind... I'm tired of FB and Twttr following me everywhere and selling my "supposedly private date" to every politico and ad agengy on the planet... #meWe has groups which I will offer to folks...  I'm so ready to cut the cord...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 01:48:15 am »
Hi spence

A wise choice, I've never has a Facebook account & I never intend to, here's a few videos you might find helpful

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:16:43 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:47 am »
I can't "miss" them because I've never gotten into them .. I have to have accounts so I can manage the Peppermint ones, but never use them for anything else.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:28:54 am »
Hi spence,

Congratulations on cutting your chains from FB & Twit-Head !!  8)

I, like PCNetSpec, can't miss them -- for me even more so than for him because I don't have and never have had any accounts with them. Enjoy a little more personal privacy. It's just too bad our law-makers permit so many companies to steal, coerce, sell and hoard our personal data. But the voters only get what they've put in office ...  :'(

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:50:57 am »
It's just too bad our law-makers permit so many companies to steal, coerce, sell and hoard our personal data. But the voters only get what they've put in office ...  :'(

I agree.

Comment edited out because I have not yet heard what Mark Zuckerberg said last night on CNN.  This is fast moving story.

Found it.  This is really a series of video clips -- either with Mark Zuckerberg, or about Facebook itself.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/21/technology/mark-zuckerberg-cnn-interview/index.html?dlbk

Here are more thoughts and links on Mark Zuckerberg, or Facebook itself from the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/business/dealbook/mark-zuckerberg-facebook.html

And here is an opinion piece from Bloomberg on Zuckerberg's response over Cambridge Analytica’s access to user data --  even going as far as equating Big Data to Big Oil.  Wow!  :o 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:27:45 pm by perknh »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:08 pm »
I know all about the drawback of having FB and twttr... but if one wants to maintain contact with family and friends... its required...

anyway... if anyone is interested in ad free, algorithm free, no data mining MeWe here's an invite...

all the group functionality is there and much better than anywhere else, reclaiming my 10 year old FB pseudonym that FB made me give up too...

https://mewe.com/i/az.denn

I don't care how Zuckerbooger tries to spin it as a "breach" it was no such thing... one campaign did precisely the same thing every other campaign has done since FB's arrival... paid for data access
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 06:42:07 pm »

Please feel free to copy & paste this into all your other SoMeAccounts!  #DeleteFB & join the #FBExodus

From MeWe founder Mark Weinstein!

"Hi MeWe Members - check this out!

The true inventor of the Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee tweeted this about MeWe yesterday. Please copy and share the link with everyone you know and on any other social media you use. Let’s get all of our friends on MeWe! Cheers, Mark

https://twitter.com/timberners_lee/status/976553383564840962
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:50 pm »
Also Elon Musk ramped up the #DeleteFB campaign by deleting all his pages from FB and joining the #FBExodus ... #TakeThatFB  8)

http://digg.com/2018/elon-musk-deletes-facebook-tesla-spacex
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »
I know all about the drawback of having FB and twttr... but if one wants to maintain contact with family and friends... its required...

A couple of my friends have, over the years, shifted to Facebook as their primary communication platform; so, yeah, like or not, Facebook is a force to be dealt with in one manner or another when it comes to new forms of communication.  Now I just left mrs.perknh's Facebook account after reading that Facebook has make its privacy settings easier to access and easier to understand.  Still, going to Facebook's newer privacy settings isn't enough.  You still have to also go to its ads section, and you probably should go to its facial recognition settings section too. ::)

Here is a link from Wired Magazine from November 2017 I found helpful for tweaking Facebook's privacy settings.  Hopefully somebody here will find the link helpful if they're trying to tweak those settings too.

P.S.

Never a dull moment!  Just read about Facebook collecting call and text message data from Android phones.* 

People who explicitly “opted in” to allowing Facebook to harvest their cell phone data did so by agreeing to let the company import their phone contacts so they could use Messenger or Facebook Lite on Android phones — but it was not obvious to many users that they were agreeing to have their cell phone records logged when they agreed to import their contacts to use those apps on their Android phones. --  Alix Langone

Maybe we should add Facebook Messenger (on an Android phone) to the list of settings we need to tweak to enhance our privacy within Facebook. ;)

* Source:  http://time.com/5215274/facebook-messenger-android-call-text-message-data/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:04:06 pm by perknh »

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »
Maybe this can help to keep (a little bit more of) our privacy while using Facebook:

https://fedoramagazine.org/mozilla-releases-facebook-container-extension-firefox/
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »
Good thinking, christianvl! :)

That's a nice tool for those who use Firefox.  Since Facebooks apparently wants to track everyone around the Web, I think Privacy Badger ought to help those here who use Facebook within Chromium based browsers -- Chromium, Chrome, Opera, Yandex, SlimJet, etc...

For those who use Facebook within Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/facebook-container/?src=search

For others who use Chromium-based browsers:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

For Opera users, this extension may be helpful if you wish to install from the Chrome Web Store:

Install Chrome Extensions

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/install-chrome-extensions/

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:00:52 pm by perknh »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
I'm more about leaving frakkedUpbook, there will never be any privacy there, that's not what Zuckerbooger's D.A.R.P.A. handlers ever intended…
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:16:34 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook