Choose style:

Author Topic: Love what you've done, but.....  (Read 447 times)

Offline 888guy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint
Love what you've done, but.....
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
I think that this distro hits a sweet spot, for me - it's fast, and, comes with just enough software. I love it.  I am willing to support it financially.  It has a great look, too.  Kudos.  But: why does this thing  include code that automatically opens a tab for the Peppermint homepage when I open the Chrome browser on any computer...???  Seriously, guys?   

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Love what you've done, but.....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:14:11 pm »
Strange statement/question :-\, there is no "code" that we've included .. just a simple Chromium configuration **setting** that can be easily changed, and is in no way hidden or nefarious.

All we've done is change the default on startup startpage from the Google searchpage to ours .. if you run a search from our startpage  we get a tiny amount of funding from DDG, and you get added privacy because neither they nor us track you like Google would.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you changing the on starup homepage if you want .. just go into the Chromium settings and change/delete the Peppermint Start Page from the "on startup" section.
(or change it to "Open the New Tab page" or "Continue where you left off")

How should we have the homepage set ? .. the Chromium default (Google searchpage) ?

If so, I'm a bit baffled why you would think it's okay for Google to set their searchpage as the default, but not us ?

We have to raise a small amount of funding somehow, and using the DDG search in no way impinges on your privacy .. in fact it enhances it :)
(but if you're not happy with our Chromium defaults .. simply change them)

As for "Chrome", we don't include a config for Chrome AT ALL .. so if you're getting this behaviour in "Chrome" (as opposed to Chromium) it's nothing to do with us.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:05:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec