Choose style:

Author Topic: Ice Question  (Read 467 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Ice Question
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:01:26 pm »
I was wondering have you guys thought about arranging the ICE interface to look like this?
I dunno to me it seems to flow better this way, plus you could save real-estate on the dialog rather than have the radio buttons as you add browsers.

I am sure there are reasons why you have it the way you have and it works great as is, but I was curious.

NOTE I know nothing about this type of development.
  ;)
But what are the challenges preventing this ICE application from dynamically figuring out what browser you have installed?
Rather than developing to specific browsers,

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Ice Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 08:04:21 pm »
It does know which browsers you have installed and you get a choice of the supported ones.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:00:15 pm »
Sure, we could easily have a drop menu instead of radio buttons .. but then how many people would 'immediately' realise it supports more browsers than the default one ?

Or know which supported browsers are currently installed giving them a choice without having to explore the drop menu ?

I'm with you on a superficial "appearance" level yours does look 'neater' .. but the current layout is more 'obvious' and 'intuitive' .. my way of thinking is that ICE is a 'utility' that will only be opened occasionally so intuitiveness is more important. If it were an 'always on display' desktop widget I might agree that appearance my need to take the more prominent role ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:14:40 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:30 am »
Fair enough,  I hear you.   ;D

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:33:18 am »
murraymint After putting more thought into my question I should have asked,  more along these lines,
If you have a Chromium based browser or a Firefox based browser. Say Bravenet or Waterfox.
What makes them so different that you have to build in support for ICE per each browser..
I am not  being picky just curious.

Coming from a WebDev background I run into similar challenges with web-applications  and different browsers.
But over all most browsers will display pages appropriately (for the most part).

I know this is two completely different areas of development.
I get it...ICE  supports the major browsers...it makes sense to do so..... you can't support every single browser out there.,

But I have had this burning itch to know, since I have been poking around with different lesser known browsers.  ;)
that are not supported.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:39 am »
Hi grafiksinc,
You are probably more into this things than I'm but, have you tried to read the code?
I've installed ICE on my Void Linux machine and 'hacked' the code to modify which browsers to support. I've latter removed it because Void is a rolling release and ICE is not native to Void and when python was updated, ICE stopped working.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:09:54 am »
If you have a Chromium based browser or a Firefox based browser. Say Bravenet or Waterfox.
What makes them so different that you have to build in support for ICE per each browser..
I am not  being picky just curious.

Simple, ICE has to start each browser with specific settings (to disbale the toolbars/tabs/etc. .. we couldn't use the generic alternative "x-www-browser" because ICE would then not know which browser that alternative was currently set to, so which browser specific settings to apply.

Besides which, the user should decide which browser backend opens which SSB .. and when making that choice very specific settings for that backend are created in the SSB launcher.

Not to mention, a lot of browsers simply don't support not having the toolbars/tabs/etc.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:12:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 06:47:54 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.
pin I did not really think about looking at the code, but now that you mention it ... ;) that would be cool just from a learning POV to modify and customize it a bit.

So I went out to this git and downloaded  ICE: https://github.com/peppermintos/ice

Just to be sure... this is the official ICE on git right? :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:58:47 pm »
It is yes :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec