Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5 won't shutdown and power off after applying latest software updates  (Read 2545 times)

Offline zElwin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): first try with 5
After installing Peppermint 5 a couple of weeks ago, all seems well.
The [Logoff] - SHUTDOWN works fine (smooth and quick) with the Peppermint Shutdown 'red' progress bar moving quick and the PC powering itself off.
The other day, July 16, the Software Update service popped up showing security and system updates being recommended.
I applied all the changes and it then asked to Reboot the system so it can apply the remaining changes.
I clicked YES and it progressed to do its reboot and update.
At that point, I walked away to do something else while it does the system updates.
After an hour, I returned to see that the PC was still powered, but the screen is blank.
I left it as is for another hour, but it remains powered on with a blank screen. It does not respond to any mouse or keyboard activity.
At that point, I used the Power Button to power off the PC.
After powering up, it appears to list out half a screen of activities while it boots up (before the updates, it shows next to nothing before the Peppermint Startup progress bar screen shows) and ultimately it reaches the screen where we can log-on to our user.
All appears well until I use the [LOG OFF] - Shutdown buttons. The System then shows the normal Peppermint Shutdown Progress Bar screen, but instead of quickly and smoothly shutting down and powering off the PC, it slowly (like over 2 minutes) shows the shutdown progress bar moving from left to right until it reaches the end. But at this point, the PC does not power off and the Peppermint Shutdown Progress Bar screen remains at this end state.
After waiting for 15 or more minutes, I press the Power Button to power off the PC.
Startup and shutdown several more times but each time, when the Shutdown progress bar reaches the end, the PC remains powered on, no matter how many hours I leave it (and in this state, it never lets the monitor go to sleep).
It does not matter if I choose to SHUTDOWN, or REBOOT the PC, it never gets pass the Shutdown progress bar screen.

Can anyone help me restore the system so that it powers off normally.
Thanks for any help.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Are there any errors reported if you run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt update
and
sudo apt upgrade
and
sudo apt dist-upgrade
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zElwin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): first try with 5
Thank you PCNetSpec for your response.

I tried each of the commands in that order.

With the exception of the, SUDO GET-APT UPDATE, each completed successfully without any errors.

The SUDO GET-APT UPDATE returned four warnings that I had duplicate sources...
It recommended that I run that command again to resolve the warnings.
I did so, but it simply gave the save set of warnings.

Each time a command was executed, I would do a Reboot, or Shutdown/PowerUp sequence (in case it needed to reload its system processes).
Given that it takes from 3-5 minutes before I can see that the Shutdown Progress Bar Screen reaches the end and is just hanging there, you can understand how tedious it soon became.
None of this helped resolve the Shutdown - PowerOff situation.

Using Google Search I found entries/stories given by other people who has faced similar problem with Ubuntu, and/or Peppermint not being able to power off their PC when shutting down, or rebooting.
Many of the recommendations/solutions revolve around the use of, or altering settings for, GRUB and ACPI.
Tried each of these solutions but none worked in my case.

Given that this problem, which only started after applying the SYSTEM UPDATE updates back on July 16, seems to require a stronger working background with the Linux O/S than what I have, it is likely that I could more quickly resolve the issue by just wiping the system and installing the Peppermint 5 from the CDROM that I originally burned from the ISO downloaded at the beginning of July 2014.  I also suspected that I may have downloaded and updated some process/software that is the root cause of this problem, given that I can see during the Startup and Shutdown processes (before the Startup/Shutdown Progress Bar Screens show up), multiple command line entries being displayed that were not being displayed when the system was working properly.  These command line entries go by way too fast to be read, let alone acted upon.

After wiping and re-installing the system (specified downloading system updates during the install process), it was restored back to "normal" working order.  i.e. It starts up and shuts down very quickly and without displaying any command line entries.

After logging on (the original admin user-id created during the system install) and letting the system sit there, its SYSTEM UPDATE function would "pop up" recommending various system and security updates. 
Apply each and everyone.  Then perform a Shutdown (it continues to shutdown and power off quickly; usually within 10-15 seconds).
Using only the Peppermint SYSTEM MANAGER function to download and add applications, it continues to work fine.

I will continue to test this PC for the next while.

Thank you.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
It's unlikely (though not impossible) it was an ACPI problem .. they're most often caused by a badly written BIOS so are there from day 1.

Probably an update that didn't complete properly for whatever reason .. and just one of those things computers do occasionally just to keep you on your toes ;)

Happy to hear the reinstall solved it for you.

If anything like this happens again, a good place to start is getting a list of what just got updated from the end of
/var/log/apt/history.log
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:05:49 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec