Choose style:

Author Topic: Can I burn an iso image of my current installation ?  (Read 913 times)

Offline brjoon1021

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Can I burn an iso image of my current installation ?
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:14:30 pm »
I like it and would like to install it, as is, on my other laptops

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Can I burn an iso image of my current installation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:49:36 pm »
Hi brjoon1021, welcome to Peppermint. There have been a few discussions of how to do this task in the past. Basically, you'll have to boot up into a live session, connect a storage device large enough to hold your system in and then create an iso file of your system into the storage device. How you create the iso file is up to you.  You have to remember to not have any proprietary drivers enabled and your username and password will be the same. And I think lastly you will have to install grub into the hard drive of the new device. Myself, I would probably use the Disks utility listed in Accessories to create the iso file. And please come back here with any problems and also to let us all know how you completed the task and change the thread to SOLVED  once you've succeeded. Good luck. :)
What was I thinking?

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:02:27 am »
Hi brjoon

Welcome aboard the good ship Peppermint  :)

As alynur says you will have to connect an external device large enough to hold the image you're backing up, there are various applications to help you do this such as Clonezilla or Redo Backup, I would personally recommend Redo

http://redobackup.org/download.php

it very easy to use and works flawlessly , you can burn it to either a CD or USB stick to create a bootable disc, once booted it's pretty self explanatory but if you need any further help post back here

Good luck

Graeme   

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline brjoon1021

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 01:03:34 am »
Thanks,

I will give it a shot. I have been trying out distros as my reintroduction to Linux. So far Peppermint is my go to. I am going to and that is why I want to install my particular setup on my other Laptop

Thanks again.