Choose style:

Author Topic: Multiple Logins of Master Password in Thunderbird  (Read 953 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Multiple Logins of Master Password in Thunderbird
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:38 pm »
Hello Peppermint forum.

I've begun using Thunderbird as my email client, and Thunderbird is requiring me to login two times.  Ideally, I would like to login only once.  Has anyone here encountered this issue of multiple logins using Thunderbird, and if so, what did you do in order to login only once?

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:24:06 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Re: Multiple Logins and Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »
Hi Perknh,

Not sure what login you mean.  I use Thunderbird all time and once installed you don't have to login at all.  You just have to set up your email accounts and enter the Login ID and Password at time of setup, and after that the login is automatic for the email accounts you have set up.  If you give me a more specific idea of your problem I'll be glad to help further.  Jeff

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Multiple Logins and Thunderbird
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:42:38 pm »
Only time I've had to 'login twice' (if we're talking about the same thing) is when my password on a mail server has changed.

For instance, some of my accounts require that I change my password (at least) every 90 days. I think it's a stupid idea but ... I digress.

Anyway, if a password changes, and I don't want to 'login twice' I need to tell Thunderbird to 'remember' the new login - for both receiving and sending mail on that server.

Is this what you're referring to?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Logins of Master Password in Thunderbird
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »
Not sure what login you mean...If you give me a more specific idea of your problem I'll be glad to help further.

&

Only time I've had to 'login twice' (if we're talking about the same thing) is when my password on a mail server has changed...Is this what you're referring to?

Hello jlschwartz and VinDSL, thanks for getting back to me.   I apologise for not being more specific, and I'll edit the title of this tread in order to help future readers. 

I set up a master password in Thunderbird's security preferences where it says "A Master Password protects all your passwords, but you must enter it once per session."  In my case , I need to enter it twice. 

Entering my master password twice is my issue here. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:25:24 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »
Here's what I'm guessing could be the reason why I need to enter my master password twice.  When I go into Account Settings > Server Settings > Security Settings, only Gmail uses OAuth2 as its Authentication method.  The other two email services I have in Thunderbird authenticate through a "Normal password" process.  Gmail within Thunderbird will NOT allow me to use a normal password within the security settings of its server settings.  That's my best guess as to why I must enter my master password twice, but this is only a guess since I'm not able to tweak the authentication methods of the security settings in order to reality test my supposition here.  :-\

Off topic:

Even though I can't find anyone else in my life who wishes to send and receive encrypted email as a matter of course,  I like the OpenPGP security feature within Thunderbird,   At the very least OpenPGP allows a user to send a signed email, and THAT is a nice feature in and of itself. ;)

Offline bella.mor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:46:05 pm »
Haven't encountered the said log-in problem. I only sign-in once and everything perfectly works in the end.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:44 am »
Well, I'm stumped.  Today, when I was signing in, Outlook flashed some brief notice I didn't catch, and then then notice disappeared.  I had to login 3 times with my master password this morning  -- perhaps for the 3 email services I have aggregated in my Thunderbird mail client.

Like I said, I'm stumped.  Thank you, jlschwartz, VinDSL, and bella.mor.  Thanks for taking the time.  And, bella.mor, welcome to Peppermint. :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »
Sorry perknh I have nothing to offer here, it's been years since I used anything but webmail so I have no idea how Thunderbird works :-[
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 01:27:13 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.  This is why I posted in our general discussion section of our forum.  We don't hear nearly as much about email clients these days as we did a few years ago.  Last night I changed my Thunderbird setting from using IMAP (remote folders) to POP3 (keep mail on your computer), but that move only made matters worse.  For the time being, I'm going to go back to webmail.  Heck, even Linus Torvalds uses Gmail!* :o

One day I sat musing,
feeling sad and lonely.
Then came a voice out of the Gloom:
It said, "Cheer up! Things could be worse."
So I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse."

-- Memory of a sign within an old country gun shop in Candia, N.H.

* Appeal to authority.  Just because Linus Torvalds uses Gmail is not really a good reason to use Gmail.  Still, in my experience, Gmail works pretty darn well.  But Gmail can also be creepy too, such as the time I was writing to the girlfriend of a friend of mine who had just died.  Gmail then had a banner go across my screen asking me if I was in the market for a coffin.  Nowadays, I don't get advertisements in Gmail.  I have no idea what Gmail is collecting on me, but I know darn well it's collecting something. ::)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:54:13 pm »
I don't use Gmail either .. I use a webmail server hosted by a friend.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:29 pm »
Protonmail is a good alternativ to Gmail. I have both.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 04:29:14 pm »
I don't use Gmail either .. I use a webmail server hosted by a friend.

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut your friend's webmail server considerable more secure than Hillary's webmail server was.  You have to really know what you're doing if you host a webmail server.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6rD2sn4u4

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:00 pm »
He's a data centre sysop/devop, and certainly knows his stuff .. he's the guy that helped me get into Linux in the first place :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec